Kutana Hybrid 3DEFX Jacket and layering

prm

WKR
Who has worn one of these Kutana Hybrids and what did you think? I'm always on the lookout for new things to try and this caught my eye. Appears to be a rather light jacket in terms of insulation. It would essentially replace an Arc'teryx Atom in my lineup, but be combined with a slightly warmer base layer.

My thought was to have a 97 Peloton base layer, with a 240 Peloton as a mid and then this Kutana Hybrid. I'd have a Kifaru LPP puffy to top off for really cold conditions. This would be for CO rifle backpack hunts at high elevation in Oct and Nov.

Also, since we are talking about a system, how does the 97 do in regards to odor after a few days? Right now I'm using either a silkweight base or an Aerowool base layer.

Current system for reference (which works great by the way):
  1. Base Layer: Silkweight Patagonia or FL Aerowool
  2. Mid: Kuiu Peloton 240 Hooded
  3. Insulation (light): Arc'teryx Atom
  4. Insulation (heavy): Kifaru LPP
  5. Rain: lightweight Kuiu rain jacket stays in my pack (occasionally leave behind).

j33

WKR
I have one but haven’t had it long enough to put it into the test. Generally you want active insulation next to a fleece and I find with the 97 & 240 below my Kutana hybrid it’s just too tight in my arms. It’s cut for archery and I’ve shot since January with it.

So I’d recommend base + 97 + Kutana, then a puffy on top if needed. I see it as I take my 240 or Kutana, not both.

I sold my camo 240 and bought a solid 240 for around town, not sure if I’ll be using it much anymore. Trying out a vest for archery or sheep season though.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
Good info. The narrow sleeves is a concern. Kuiu does that on some tops. I may have to rule that out. My hope was it could replace the Atom.

I have 3 Peleton 240s and the 240 vest. To say I like that piece is an understatement!

j33

WKR
I’m sure you could use the 240 below it, but i wouldn’t do 97 and 240 below it.
Maybe the 97 & 240 vest would work? It’s roomy in the body.

ZuluBravo

WKR
Love mine, probably my favorite piece of Kuiu gear that I have. The jacket is super quiet and the sleeves IMO fit great. I’m 5’10” 185lbs athletic build and a size large fits great with a light merino layer underneath.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
How warm is the Kutana Hybrid? Compared to a 240 Peleton, perhaps a Sitka Kelvin Active, or whatever else you can compare to.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
How warm is the Kutana Hybrid? Compared to a 240 Peleton, perhaps a Sitka Kelvin Active, or whatever else you can compare to.

I think the Kutana Hybrid is pretty darn close to the same thing as the Patagonia Nano Air jacket. Both use the same type of insulation if I remember correctly, and both had the same amount of stretch and warmth (from my limited time trying on the Kutana). The Patagonia piles up a bit and I don't think the Kutana would. Can't compare to the 240 or Sitka Kelvin Active, as I haven't tried those pieces.

j33

WKR
I owned one for a very limited time, sold my Kutana Hybrid to upgrade some other gear.
Kutana is warmer than 240 for sure, breaths better too.

Moserkr

WKR
Haha im wearing one right now. I wear it damn near daily and have another in verde for hunting. If Im active its warm in a t-shirt into the 50s. Add a base and it can go down into the 40s. Add another mid and take it into the 30s. I wore it pheasant hunting in sodak in janurary in temps down to zero plus wind. Wore a merino 200 as my base, then a thick wool shirt, then the kutana, with an upland vest on top. I have worn my puffy under and over it depending on the situation. I actually like the puffy under as it holds that down heat tight against my body. I wear it over if stopping to glass while hunting for a long minute.

I do not consider it a late season jacket - yet. Working on layering it more. I want to try the 240 or 260 fleece under it like others recommend. Early-mid season its perfect. Breaks wind ok but breathes well - i can pack in wearing it. Drys fast if sweaty. Tough as hell - snagged it on metal when i first got it and did it again today - not a scratch.

Id echo the dont wear a 240 and kutana at the same time unless its very cold - 30s or less. I would consider its role as a primary outer layer because its tough as nails. Everything else goes under. Its light enough to be worn in the morning when its crisp but then comes off when it warms up - archery early season. Mid season its great all day, add another mid for night. Late season I was cold in it without my puffy - thats where the 240 would come in. Puffy was too warm to be active with a 145 base and the kutana at 25*. Froze my ass off when i stopped with the puffy on. So... that 240 has a place in my mind when its cold.

Happy to answer any more questions if i can. I live in the mountains and wear it more than most.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
All great, thanks. I think it's worth a try. IF it fits, I find Kuiu to be very good gear. My initial thought is to try with a silkweight base, 240, then Hybrid. I'll have the LPP for glassing in the cold, or very cold.

OP
prm

prm

WKR
I received the Kutana 3Defx jacket. Fit is about what I expected from Kuiu. Perhaps not quite as an athletic fit as other Kuiu products, but still relatively long sleeves. It will work though. It feels good over a thin base layer and the 240 Peleton. It appears to have less insulation than I expected, but I haven’t tried it in cool enough temps to judge how it actually insulates. Hopefully we’ll get one more cool spell so I can try on a short hike with a pack.

ccarter

FNG
I love my Kutana Hybrid. Besides the Attack Pants, it's my favorite Kuiu gear. For me- 5'8", 175- semi-broad shoulders, it's a warmer option for a second layer than a fleece. I have a Large, and I find it to be most comfortable with just a base layer underneath. I can wear a fairly fitted military grid fleece under the Kutana Hybrid, but it feels a tad snug. For me, it's usually either a grid fleece, or the Kutana Hybrid. The Kutana is just as light, warmer and more wind resistant, and I think it breathes just as well. It also slides under my heavier puffy very well. I think one of the best parts about the Kutana is that I don't seem to overheat in it too fast if I'm climbing in it. To me, it allows you to eliminate a layer in many cases, which is great.

Moserkr

WKR
@ccarter If you like the kutana jacket and attack pants combo, try the kutana pants too! Much lighter than the attacks and tougher too. Dry faster, breath better, weigh less. Only downside is the attacks stretch better and the kutana had to break in for more stretch.

I wear the Peloton 118 or merino base, Peloton 240 mid, and regular Kutana for my outer. We only get down to 30-40 degrees overnight and it works fine. The Kutana breathes well but not as well as the 240, but the Kutana does have pit zips for venting on the move. Sometimes I skip the 240 mid and just wear the Kutana. The Kutana is tuff as nails and fits perfect with the 240 under it.

I agree the Kutana pants are awesome! FYI the Kutana pants are NOT the same material as the Kutana jackets.