KY Backpack Hunting/Fishing Partners

Hey y'all. I am big into backpack hunting and fishing in the appalachains of eastern KY. (Daniel Boone NF). The only problem is I can't find anyone here who likes to do this, seems like everyone just wants to ride the four wheeler out to the old stand on grandpas property, no need to go to the extra effort. Looking for like minded people to explore places like these

Attachments

• IMG_2402.JPG
    IMG_2402.JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 83
OP
bluegrassbackcountry
Pretty good man! I started two years ago and have killed a buck and turkey, found some black bear sign and spotted some elk. I am still working on getting spots dialed in but all in all it's a great place to go, especially being stuck east of the Rockies.

EKyhookr

FNG
What portions of DBNF are you hunting? Im about an hour or so from Cave Run

netman

WKR
Bluegrassbackcountry do you have any knowledge of unit 5 for Kentucky elk hunting? I got a cow tag for the week after Christmas.

I live within 30min from the unit 5 location for the Kentucky elk hunting location's if you need any help or advice just send me a PM and we can swap numbers

Hey y'all. I am big into backpack hunting and fishing in the appalachains of eastern KY. (Daniel Boone NF). The only problem is I can't find anyone here who likes to do this, seems like everyone just wants to ride the four wheeler out to the old stand on grandpas property, no need to go to the extra effort. Looking for like minded people to explore places like these

I'm in the same boat - too bad we're so far apart.

Just this year, I've started making some solo trips to the Mon NF in central WV to be able to get back to some significant public land. I hope to do some trout fishing there this spring.

I'll bet the DBNF is gorgeous!

WESTERN VA HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
If only I lived closer to you in KY. We are planning on doing the same thing here in VA next season. We usually camp and walk in deep every day, but next season we're doing a backpack camp. We have very low deer numbers on George Washington NF, and you have to go in a couple of miles to get away from everyone else. But it usually pays off, because if you see a buck it's usually decent.
Got these the first Monday and Tuesday of rifle deep in GWNF this year.

Attachments

• 20191118_120931.jpg
    20191118_120931.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20191119_101633.jpg
    20191119_101633.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 56

Kentucky

WKR
I live in the central part of state, lots of public ground (approx 7k-10k acres) 15-20 min away.
Best smallmouth fishing in the state, IMO. But I still make a couple trips a year to Big South Fork. Usually bike packing or hiking, have done serval A-B floats. A few hunts years ago, tried to find pigs down there, BYW there isn’t any.. seen serval bears, turkey and deer.. would be interested in a back country hunt for white tails.. season will be over soon.

Chief254

FNG
I’m about 40min East of Louisville. Plan to spend a lot more time in a tent on public land searching for a buck in Velvet.

Chief254

FNG
Closest to Kentucky River WMA and Twin Eagle. Plan on getting down to Daniel Boone to hunt out of camp

Kentucky

WKR
Closest to Kentucky River WMA and Twin Eagle. Plan on getting down to Daniel Boone to hunt out of camp
I live next to Green River WMA. Hunting is great, no backcountry camping allowed..

Big south fork recreational area is a good bet.

Chief254

FNG
Noted. Appreciate it.

still hopeful for that dang KY elk tag. 7 years in a row and haven’t been drawn.

Kentucky

WKR
Same here been 6 years for me.. have a buddy that got drawn, then his mother, then his dad. Heard of other guys at local shop that have been drawn 2-3 years in a row..

OP
bluegrassbackcountry
I’m about 40min East of Louisville. Plan to spend a lot more time in a tent on public land searching for a buck in Velvet.

Sweet man. You into backcountry squirrel/ coyote hunting ? I'll be focusing on that after bow season is over till turkey opener

OP
bluegrassbackcountry
If only I lived closer to you in KY. We are planning on doing the same thing here in VA next season. We usually camp and walk in deep every day, but next season we're doing a backpack camp. We have very low deer numbers on George Washington NF, and you have to go in a couple of miles to get away from everyone else. But it usually pays off, because if you see a buck it's usually decent.
Got these the first Monday and Tuesday of rifle deep in GWNF this year.

Nice buck brother! Appalachian backpack success is such a good feeling !

OP
bluegrassbackcountry
I live in the central part of state, lots of public ground (approx 7k-10k acres) 15-20 min away.
Best smallmouth fishing in the state, IMO. But I still make a couple trips a year to Big South Fork. Usually bike packing or hiking, have done serval A-B floats. A few hunts years ago, tried to find pigs down there, BYW there isn’t any.. seen serval bears, turkey and deer.. would be interested in a back country hunt for white tails.. season will be over soon.

I am big into smallmouth fishing myself. I normally float the elkhorn in Frankfort, planning on doing a kayak camp and fish down the Rockcastle at least 2 times when it gets a little warmer. I'm still trying to fill a doe tag or two myself