Kydex Sheath for Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet?

Kydex sheaths are custom moulded to a specific item. You probally would have to send your axe out to be done. Here is an excellent place to have it done if you choose to send it out. He has some excellent pictures of previous ones done. http://www.kiahdex.com/gallery/

Daniel_M

WKR
That's a great idea. Not a fan of the factory sheaths, specially for such a badass and sharp tool. I might be able to source up a mini-hatchet and have one made for you by the same guy I use for EDC stuff.

Local kydex guy...

udedudas.jpg

Last edited:
That's a great idea. Not a fan of the factory sheaths, specially for such a badass and sharp tool. I might be able to source up a mini-hatchet and have one made for you by the same guy I use for EDC stuff.

Local kydex guy...

udedudas.jpg

I have been making Boltaron/Kydex sheaths for about 10 years now. Like I stated above, making a Kydex sheath is item specific. Except for the knives I make myself, all other sheaths are for items shipped to me. You would have to have someone with the EXACT same axe to make a sheath without him shipping actual axe he has. Also meaning one could not be well used and ground down at all. Any difference in dimensions will result in an incorrect fit. It is not like leather that gives a bit to fit something.

Daniel_M

WKR
I have been making Boltaron/Kydex sheaths for about 10 years now. Like I stated above, making a Kydex sheath is item specific. Except for the knives I make myself, all other sheaths are for items shipped to me. You would have to have someone with the EXACT same axe to make a sheath without him shipping actual axe he has. Also meaning one could not be well used and ground down at all. Any difference in dimensions will result in an incorrect fit. It is not like leather that gives a bit to fit something.

I get what you're sayin, I know quite a few guys with a Gransfors axe. If one f them has a mini, it could prove more efficient I however have found an online source for my hunter axe @$40 a pop so I may go that route.

OP
Sawtooth

Sawtooth

FNG
I understand the need to have the tool for fitting with Kydex. I've contacted two different makers, letting them know I'll ship them my hatchet. Thanks for the inupt guys. The Mini Hatchet, and my Cold Steel Trail Hawk, are the most useful tools of that kind I have. Both will be wearing Kydex soon.

aron

WKR
I believe you can buy kits to mold your own sheath if you didnt want to ship it. I have not done one myslef so can't tell you how much work is involved with it. Just another option...

Two main things are required to make these sheaths. Heat and a press with foam. Standard oven or toaster oven at 375*. Have to keep an eye on it as it will shrink fast. It must also be pressed very well. I press mine with about 2+ tons of pressure. If I make one for something like a cellphone, I can not obviously put that kind of pressure on it.