Kylmit Insulated Static v Luxe SL warmth

Bearsears

WKR
Hey everyone. Im considering picking one of these up from Costco. I'm curious to hear how warm it is from people that have used it. Its rated at a R value of 6.5 but that isnt using the new R value standard so Im concerned its not accurate. Looking at using it Colorado 2nd and 3rd season with a 0 degree bag and possibly a Thermarest z lite sol. We will be in my SO Redcliff with stove. Thanks for any feedback.

huntcoop

WKR
I had one and returned it as I was worried about durability, the material seemed very thin. The feel reminded me of a kids inflatable pool toy.

I now have a Thermarest NeoAir XThem Max regular wide and I'm not looking back as it's awesome. Warm, fast inflate and deflate, not noisy and did I mention warm!

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
I had one and returned it as I was worried about durability, the material seemed very thin. The feel reminded me of a kids inflatable pool toy.

I now have a Thermarest NeoAir XThem Max regular wide and I'm not looking back as it's awesome. Warm, fast inflate and deflate, not noisy and did I mention warm!

I have definitely considered the Xtherm. It looks like a great pad. Its probably outside my budget for this year though. Ive been using a nemo tensor for two years now that is only a 20d fabric and never popped it so im not too worried about the 30d kylmit. Thanks for your reply!

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
Does anybody else have input on this pad? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I used the insulated static v with the zlite on top of it last year with a 0 degree quilt. I was plenty warm with nights in the low 20s F. I also do not believe my pad had an R value that high either. I want to say the R value is around 4.

I had no issues with durability and it should come with a patch kit.

I used the insulated static v ulralite with a 4.4 r value for a week in Idaho in November last year. With a real 0 degree bag and I was very toasty. Lows were down to about 10 if I was to guess. Klymit makes good sleeping pads for the money.

With a zero degree bag I think you’d be just fine. Not to mention you are going to have a stove in the shelter also. With a stove in a tipi and my Slick bag, I’d be down to nothing but my underwear and still probably be too warm.

Whitty

FNG
Have used mine the last two years in the 30-40 degree range...warm enough for that with a 20 degree bag (and liner) but no experience below 30 degrees. Pad is big and comfy but takes a good number of breaths to blow up.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like its plenty warm. I have a few of their other pads for summer stuff with the family and we've never had a problem ive just never tried an insulated one in more serious conditions. They are definitely tough pads. I guess I'll give it a shot. If it goes bad ill blame all of you lol.

sndmn11

WKR
I have been using the insulated luxe sl with an astralite quilt this month. I missed the snow here in Colorado, but have seen some nights uppers 20s. The pad has never been uncomfortably cold on the ground. A few of the coldest mornings in that 3-4am timeframe I have felt the pad was cool. It has never been warm, and I have been sleeping in lightest weight merino base layers.

OP
Bearsears

Bearsears

WKR
I have been using the insulated luxe sl with an astralite quilt this month. I missed the snow here in Colorado, but have seen some nights uppers 20s. The pad has never been uncomfortably cold on the ground. A few of the coldest mornings in that 3-4am timeframe I have felt the pad was cool. It has never been warm, and I have been sleeping in lightest weight merino base layers.
Sounds like with a foam pad it would be plenty in cold weather?

sndmn11

WKR
Sounds like with a foam pad it would be plenty in cold weather?

I would hope that isn't needed, otherwise i would save weight with an exped megamat or similar. That quilt is rated at 26deg. I think wearing an appropriate base layer, and a real sleeping bag would have alleviated that cool pad feeling.

jmike

FNG
I picked one up from Costco , came with the pillow too. Used on a scouting trip last month. Really comfy Easy to inflate, the instructions say it takes like 25 or 26 breathes to fill. It was rite on the money.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I have the insulated V lite, I've thought about getting the Luxe for my wife since her version of fun camping is a 6" queen size air mattress lol. I haven't had any durability issues with mine yet but it hasn't gotten a ton of use or anything. My brother used it in single digits one night with a 0 degree bag. He had hung his feet off the pad through the night and woke up with freezing cold toes, when he got slid back up on the pad he said it made a huge difference for his feet.