Kyrgyzstan Translation Cheat Sheet

buzzy

WKR
Does anyone have a translation cheat sheet that they have used on a Kyrgyzstan ibex hunt? I found a thread here from 2018 where someone put a language cheat sheet together to help communications while in the field but he hasn’t been active on the site for the last few years.

Thanks

I don’t know if this would help, but you could come up with what you would think are common questions, and then type them into google translate. You could then write them down and practice that way. It will also pronounce the words for you, so you’ll know if you’re pronouncing them correctly. Just an idea.

Good luck with that hunt looks like an epic adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I looked into this prior to leaving for my trip in 2017. They speak a mix of kygyz a d Russian. I reached out to a friend who had been living in Russia for the past few years and he basically said learning any Russian was a waste of time. Here is what I picked up on the trip.

“Chong Teke.” Big ibex. Not sure if thst is how it’s spelled. Anything over 100cm is what warranted this response.

“Tumon.” Clouds. Again, not sure on the spelling. But clouds mean tough hunting- because at that elevation it is just fog.

My guides spoke minimum English. We communicated via hand signals mostly.

2830086E-5867-4670-9354-C7469BAC4AB7.jpeg

idig4au

WKR
Based on my experience (11 hunting trips plus more than a decade working in the region) I would suggest learning some basic conversational Russian. The guides and locals will appreciate the effort.

Almost all of the Kyrgyz speak Russian and it’s easier learn than the native Kyrgyz that has a Turkic basis which I find very difficult to speak. Have a look at a Russianaccelerator.com as a couple courses will give you the basics.

As mentioned you will still likely be playing Pictionary, especially when confirming which animal to take. I always confirm even if I understand in Russian what they are saying.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Here you go, also I learned from another member when judging ibex for size the guides may say meter=39" ibex, meter five=41" ibex, meter ten=43" ibex

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 78

TXCO

WKR
My guide spoke about 10 words of english. I kinda figured out the “bolimna” (phonetic pronunciation) was something like “this is” or here is and used that to try and teach each other various words. So wed sit around camp and point at things and say bolimna rifle and hed say it back it russian.

I agree russian seems to be a common language amongst them all.

b6b96139c06a5ff3ecc17ffa6302ac15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
My 2019 Marco Polo hunt in Kyrg:

Chenebek was my guide's name. His english was "Marco Polo = big ram" and "mama = small ram and ewe" He also asked "Me shoot?" He understood the word "No".

I could not understand any of their conversation on the mountain since none of our words were similar. Govermnent Game scout's name was Bisembek. Outfitter's names were Talent and Ulebek.

We had a woman translator in camp "Naz". I could not pronounce her real name if given $1000. She spoke very good english since she worked in the tourism industry year round. When I got back to camp and at the dining table I would ask questions for her to translate.

This was one of favorite hunts. If you get the opportunity GO!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_23.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_23.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 94
I downloaded Google translate from the app store. Then downloaded offline Russian translation in the app. This worked like a charm. Just speak or type it and then let them read it. Then have them speak into it and the app will translate it for you.
Make sure you go with the flow. You are on their time and they direct the hunt. But when it comes down to it, make sure you understand which animal and what they want you to do.

My 2019 Marco Polo hunt in Kyrg:

Chenebek was my guide's name. His english was "Marco Polo = big ram" and "mama = small ram and ewe" He also asked "Me shoot?" He understood the word "No".

I could not understand any of their conversation on the mountain since none of our words were similar. Govermnent Game scout's name was Bisembek. Outfitter's names were Talent and Ulebek.

We had a woman translator in camp "Naz". I could not pronounce her real name if given $1000. She spoke very good english since she worked in the tourism industry year round. When I got back to camp and at the dining table I would ask questions for her to translate.

This was one of favorite hunts. If you get the opportunity GO!
I had Naz as a translator as well. Great English and was very helpful with recommendations in Bishkek. If a translator is an option I highly recommend

halpin40

FNG
I downloaded Google translate from the app store. Then downloaded offline Russian translation in the app. This worked like a charm. Just speak or type it and then let them read it. Then have them speak into it and the app will translate it for you.
Make sure you go with the flow. You are on their time and they direct the hunt. But when it comes down to it, make sure you understand which animal and what they want you to do.
We just got back from Turkey on a bezoar ibex hunt and our translated sucked so we did this exact thing and worked very well!

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
We just got back from Turkey on a bezoar ibex hunt and our translated sucked so we did this exact thing and worked very well!
Well let’s see some pics and hear a story!! Hope you had a good hunt.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
You might try a simple Russian tutorial system like babbel or pimsleur- 20 min a day, even 10 for a few months will do wonders. Russian can be hard to learn properly - declensions, verbs of motion, genitive cases, can be hard to get right if you aren't actually using the language regularly: however, basically getting your point across is easier: you just need basic vocabulary. I used to go to Russia for business alot and I found it relatively easy to make basic points, though my overall language capability was pretty weak. You don't have to be fluent to communicate.

Funny story, though: I had a conversation with an older woman at an Orthodox church who I thought was asking me about my name. Turned out she thought I was a yogurt business baron. I understood enough to affirm my name but missed the yogurt part she attached to it.... so you can only get so far.

halpin40

FNG
It was a great trip! We showed up, checked our rifles at 100 yards, went and had dinner! (Food is outstanding in Turkey) left the next morning found two groups of billies, ended up shooting mine at 425 yards on the first day!

Attachments

• C0703F6A-9D41-4092-94F9-A3DB83F10E8A.jpeg
    C0703F6A-9D41-4092-94F9-A3DB83F10E8A.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 38