La Sportiva TX5?

They’re definitely more supportive than a standard hiking boot but wouldn’t say they’re stiff. In the middle really and narrow. What boot are you running now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
They’re definitely more supportive than a standard hiking boot but wouldn’t say they’re stiff. In the middle really and narrow. What boot are you running now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I am bootless at the moment. Wore UA Infil Ops in standard width this season and they were stiff enough for me but not close to waterproof. Still looking for a light boot that may stand a chance of being more waterproof.

jmav58

WKR
I've used the TX4 Mid boot the past 2 years and really like them. Antelope, mule deer in 2 states and elk in Montana plus everyday wear for my job as crop consultant. The waterproofing has been great but like the other guy said, I wouldn't consider them stiff at all. If you're looking for an elk boot, I'd looking for something taller for ankle support. I packed out two mulies myself and helped pack a third out of New Mexico and wished I would've had a taller boot.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I've used the TX4 Mid boot the past 2 years and really like them. Antelope, mule deer in 2 states and elk in Montana plus everyday wear for my job as crop consultant. The waterproofing has been great but like the other guy said, I wouldn't consider them stiff at all. If you're looking for an elk boot, I'd looking for something taller for ankle support. I packed out two mulies myself and helped pack a third out of New Mexico and wished I would've had a taller boot.

It appears that the TX5 is 1" or so higher than the TX4 mid, do you think that little extra would sooth your worries? The UA boots didn't have much structure or support after they were broken in but I didn't notice it packing my elk out last month.

jmav58

WKR
I don't think so Chris. I have crispis Idaho GTX that I really like, but the waterproofing was a joke. If I could find a boot with the La Sportiva waterproofing, the crispi support and weight, I'd be walking in tall cotton. But until then, I'm still searching for the perfect boot. Hanwag's have my attention, especially the Nazcat, although it is a little heavier than I'd like. I may end up back at the Crispi's just to see if maybe my Idaho's were a lemon.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I don't think so Chris. I have crispis Idaho GTX that I really like, but the waterproofing was a joke. If I could find a boot with the La Sportiva waterproofing, the crispi support and weight, I'd be walking in tall cotton. But until then, I'm still searching for the perfect boot. Hanwag's have my attention, especially the Nazcat, although it is a little heavier than I'd like. I may end up back at the Crispi's just to see if maybe my Idaho's were a lemon.

Thanks, I tried a few Crispis and they didn’t fit my feet correctly. I will look at those Hanwags.

jmav58

WKR
Thanks, I tried a few Crispis and they didn’t fit my feet correctly. I will look at those Hanwags.
Try schnees if you can. I know you're in Alabama, but Schnees makes a helluva boot as well. The timberline is the one I'm referencing.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Decided to give the TX5’s a try write Moosejaw’s 20% off plus free 2 day shipping plus free exchanges or cheap returns if needed.

Will bite the bullet on Schnees if these don’t work out, though even the Timberlines are heavier than ideal IMO.

Hanwags have been leaking on people.

Yeah it’s hard to find a reliable leather waterproof light boot. I know a few full synthetics out there. I was going to mention the Scarpa Kinesis pro but kinda heavy. If you want reliability going to have to sacrifice something.

You should post a short review of the TX5 if it works out for you down the road.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Hanwags have been leaking on people.

Yeah it’s hard to find a reliable leather waterproof light boot. I know a few full synthetics out there. I was going to mention the Scarpa Kinesis pro but kinda heavy. If you want reliability going to have to sacrifice something.

You should post a short review of the TX5 if it works out for you down the road.

Will do, I'm optimistic because they widened the forefoot (and maybe toe box consequently?) of these for side-hilling specifically.

315302_5.jpg

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Got them off the porch at lunch today. The sole is somewhat stiff, stiffer than I thought it'd be, but you can bend them if you try towards the toes. Just first glance wearing them around the house, they fit my feet very well. I have just a slightly wider than normal forefoot but a skinny heel area, these seem made for me the way they fit. The waterproofing on them goes up close to 7" which is also where my UA 10" boots and Irish Setter 9" boots both stopped. Two serious pros I like about them are the very aggressive tread and the weight, my 11.5/45's were 21 oz exactly on the scale for each boot, so 42 oz for the pair. I will wear them whitetail hunting this weekend to continue the evaluation in the field. No scree slides or steep rocky sidehilling around here, but I should be able to tell if my feet like them or not.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
After walking around tonight with them on with my cold weather sock setup on (FL mountain athlete over the calf merino socks with injinji toe merino liners) I decided to go up 1/2 a size (European) to a 45.5 as they were a bit tight around the widest portion of my foot. Should have them Monday or Tuesday, but now no field review this weekend obviously.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Just to follow up, got the 45.5's yesterday and I love them walking around the house. Will run them this weekend whitetail hunting if weather allows (still snake boot weather here haha).

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Alright, wore them all day today whitetail hunting. It was going to be close to 40* this morning so I went with my normal western sock setup, Injinji merino liners under FL Triad socks. There was a little noticeable tightness around the forefoot but not enough to worry me much. As the day wore on and the distance added up (3.5 miles today), they definitely loosened up and by my final walk out to the truck I was in love. No blisters or sore spots, feet never got cold, and they are so light and comfortable you barely notice them. They are not as stiff as some may like but they are definitely stiffer than a lot of hiking boots. I also really like the tread design and felt like they had more ankle support than I expected, no mountains to climb down here but I did go up and down a few really steep (near vertical) muddy creek banks and felt very stable, wayyy better than my normal muck boots or snake boots.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Some info on my feet: I usually wear a 11-11.5 and have usually opted for a wide size if available. Wound up with a 45.5 in these, which La Sportiva says on there website to take your normal size and go up 1/2 a size, which is what these would be for me.For my foot length my feet are actually standard width (4” at the widest point IIRC) but if they were a hair wider I’d be prescribed a wide boot. If you have any sort of a wider foot than that, these will not work with heavy socks and may not work at all for you. Thankfully I’ve never struggled with foot (or hand) warmth and I wear thinner socks than most. If you have an average foot width and a narrow heel, like me, these may just be the ticket if you want a light boot with moderate stiffness and support. They also look very nice IMO.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Update, last week I noticed an annoying squeak when walking in them during a whitetail hunt. Loud enough to drive me nuts. Decided it was the OEM insole against the footbed near the heel...sound disappears with no insole in them. So, I swapped in some Superfeet I had which I was very happy about initially because it allowed a small increase in volume in the boots which made them super comfortable, but there is still a squeak, albeit different tone, from the same area on the heel. Any ideas on what to do to try to quiet that? Sounds like two pieces of hard rubber skipping over eachother under pressure a very small distance.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
These boots are on sale right now. I'm thinking about trying them out. How are you liking them?

I really want to love them as they are super comfy, super lightweight, look great, great traction, waterproof, the whole shebang. I got the squeaky insole figured out. La Sportiva offered to warranty them but a Superfeet insole made it disappear so I didn't bother. Unfortunately with the width of my foot anything other than a thin sock is just too much volume for the boot and it pinches the side of my feet. I now have some Schnee's Beartooths that will likely get most all of my hunting duty. If they would make the TX-5 in wide I'd be all over them.

I really want to love them as they are super comfy, super lightweight, look great, great traction, waterproof, the whole shebang. I got the squeaky insole figured out. La Sportiva offered to warranty them but a Superfeet insole made it disappear so I didn't bother. Unfortunately with the width of my foot anything other than a thin sock is just too much volume for the boot and it pinches the side of my feet. I now have some Schnee's Beartooths that will likely get most all of my hunting duty. If they would make the TX-5 in wide I'd be all over them.

Appreciate the feedback. Do you have a wide foot or are those boots just really narrow? I would say my foot is normal in width. I've never needed a wide boot/shoe.