Lace up vs rubber boots tree stand hunting

satchamo

WKR
I’ve been whitetail hunting for 2 decades now and every year when the temps start to drop Im thinking again about how I will keep my feet warm on those long sits.

Right now my current system is rubber boots (I own lacrosse alphas in non insulated, 800 and 1600), a liner sock, hot hands foot warmer stuck on the under side of my toes, then a wool sock over.

That keeps them warm but it’s far from ideal to walk on a foot warmer and I’m starting to really despise the bulkiness of insulated rubber boots, they are almost impossible to wear when using my lone wolf climber or doing any kind of hang and hunt. That said - they are a life saver in the dew riddled CRP fields, muddy fields, creek crossings, etc.

So I want to try lace up boots to see if they help keep my feet warmer without having to put toe warmers in. Does anyone have an opinion of lace up vs rubber boots for keeping your feet warm in long sits??

I’m looking at danner vitals in 800 gram to try a lace up to see if they work better. Does anyone have direct experience with these? Good? Bad? Bulky?

I’m open to other suggestions as well!

PMcGee

WKR
I just wear my non insulated lace up boots and use the arctic shield boot covers. I put the covers on once I’m in my tree. I’ve sat all day in my stand with highs in the teens with no problem. When it’s that cold I do put a warmer in them. I don’t think any lace up boot that isn’t bulky will keep your feet warm when it’s really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on what PMcGee said. If you are concerned about the dew in the mornings, and want to wear a regular style lace up boot, you could always wear gaiters to protect the bottom of your pants. The arctic shield covers with a handwarmer in them once on stand have been working very well over the past several years. I've used them on Muck style boots as well, however, you need to make sure you get the a large enough size to cover your rubber boots.

NB7

WKR
I always wore rubber knee boots ever since I started stand hunting white-tails, which was in my late teens. It was the "only way to be scent free", blah blah and that's all you were supposed to do. They ALWAYS made my feet sweat, which made them colder later once sitting down for a while. I also hated the bulkiness while walking through cut corn fields and uneven terrain, climbing up pegs or using a climber. Just a few years ago I switched to lace-ups and haven't looked back. I wear gaiters with them when it's wet, and the only time I'll wear rubber knee boots now is when I know I'm likely to have to step into boggy mud that's gonna come up to my calves. Get some good quality merino socks and @cnelk makes an excellent point about anti-perspirant. I've found a little sprinkle of gold-bond on my toes before I sock up helps this too. Dry is warm. And if gets REAL cold, then follow @PMcGee 's advice. Oh and I wear Crispi Summits when it's warm and Kennetrek mountain extreme's when it's cold. Love them both

*zap*

WKR
Try good and warm boot blankets.....artic shield or the warmer icebreaker. It is almost impossible to wear a warm enough boot to walk in and then also sit in it because of sweaty feet getting cold.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Vitals 800 or 1000 grams, they are comfortable and fairly light. My only issue was they were no where near water resistant out of the box. Once I used camp dry on them twice they have been great since. If you are looking for a boot that doesnt offer much ankle support, they are great. I was just telling a buddy yesterday I'll only where rubber boots working in snow and spring turkey season.

OP
satchamo

satchamo

WKR
I have the Vitals 800 or 1000 grams, they are comfortable and fairly light. My only issue was they were no where near water resistant out of the box. Once I used camp dry on them twice they have been great since. If you are looking for a boot that doesnt offer much ankle support, they are great. I was just telling a buddy yesterday I'll only where rubber boots working in snow and spring turkey season.

Yeah I have been wearing Solomons most of the early season and I wore rubber boots the other night and quickly realized how uncomfortable they are.

I don’t need ankle support - I’m in the flats of southern IL so honestly overall comfort snd warmth are my biggest factors.

I think I might just try snd run the artic shield booties over my Solomons for now and see how it goes!

Also - I’ve tried the spray anti perspirant snd it didn’t do much for me. I’m 6’4” and bony - I just don’t hold heat well I guess haha

TxxAgg

WKR
I just wear my non insulated lace up boots and use the arctic shield boot covers. I put the covers on once I’m in my tree. I’ve sat all day in my stand with highs in the teens with no problem. When it’s that cold I do put a warmer in them. I don’t think any lace up boot that isn’t bulky will keep your feet warm when it’s really cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is the answer

I’ve been whitetail hunting for 2 decades now and every year when the temps start to drop Im thinking again about how I will keep my feet warm on those long sits.

Right now my current system is rubber boots (I own lacrosse alphas in non insulated, 800 and 1600), a liner sock, hot hands foot warmer stuck on the under side of my toes, then a wool sock over.

That keeps them warm but it’s far from ideal to walk on a foot warmer and I’m starting to really despise the bulkiness of insulated rubber boots, they are almost impossible to wear when using my lone wolf climber or doing any kind of hang and hunt. That said - they are a life saver in the dew riddled CRP fields, muddy fields, creek crossings, etc.

So I want to try lace up boots to see if they help keep my feet warmer without having to put toe warmers in. Does anyone have an opinion of lace up vs rubber boots for keeping your feet warm in long sits??

I’m looking at danner vitals in 800 gram to try a lace up to see if they work better. Does anyone have direct experience with these? Good? Bad? Bulky?

I switch between the two. If it’s a long hike in I wear lace ups for comfort . For water or scent control I prefer rubber.

I get cold feet when stationary for long sits. I have tried insulated rubber boots, non-insulated boots and boot blankets like those mentioned above, tried changing socks when in the stand, and the warmers that you stick on the bottom of your socks. All of them haven't really worked well for me. The boot blankets work but I hate carrying another bulky item on days when I'm staying mobile when it's really cold. I tried heated socks this year and it's a game changer for me. I can wear whatever boot I need and stay toasty warm all day on the lowest setting. I wear a light merino wool liner sock under the heated socks. The only downside is the battery pack is a little bulky. You have to wear boots that don't cover the battery which for me ends up about mid calf, which only eliminates rubber boots.

7.4V Heated Socks for Men Woman... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LV32PND?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These are the ones I ordered.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

DO NOT get the Danner Vitals! I have a pair and I can say I am less than impressed. Feet get wet when walking through wet grass. Feet get wet with sweat in any other conditions. Plus, they aren’t comfortable at all!

I have been on the search for the right boot for a long time as well. I like a rubber boot because they keep my feet warm. But they also sweat a lot.

My feet seem to breathe better and don’t sweat as bad as they otherwise would in rubber boots. But they don’t seem to stay as warm as long.

I prefer leather boots. But as I mentioned, still looking to find the right pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk