Lack of love for waterfowlers

NDGuy

WKR
These dakota boys and their dry field mallards and honkers look like more fun to me

Looks a little cold though....
We are spoiled sometimes

Our regular season goose being at an 8 bird limit now is a treat too.

Man if only I had that in college when it was 3. We'd be done in one flock most hunts :D

JjamesIII

WKR
Tons of guys on Rokslide killing more big critters than CWD. Where are all the guys who’s true passion is shooting ducks or geese?

Where are you located? What species do you spend the most time targeting? Hunting private or are you a refuge rat? Ag land or natural?

Since this is a gear site, Gun and ammo of choice? Decoy brand and type? What call company are you repping?

Let’s start a waterfowl thread.
I hunt Ohio public land for waterfowl a ton because I’m too dumb and stubborn to give up and sell my gear. It’s a total joke after opening weekend 90% of the time. But, if you like the company of sky blasters, you’ll do fine

Big Canadas. Kentucky. Ag fields out of panel blinds over divebombs/other silos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
I am done dealing with getting permission around here so that leaves public. The marshes get packed early but you can have some space later on during mid week...but the birds need to be using that area. I have a canoe and there are some creeks that I can pass shoot on...couple of deke's to bring them somewhat close. You can even shoot em as you paddle around...it is different but still hunting and your out there doing it.

OP
Banded_spooney
We are spoiled sometimes

Our regular season goose being at an 8 bird limit now is a treat too.

Man if only I had that in college when it was 3. We'd be done in one flock most hunts :D
That episode where the smakem boys have the Divebomb guys hunting in that blizzard looks like the most fun thing a guy can do outside the bedroom. But what I can't figure out is how you crazy bastards up there can do something like that in sweat shirts.

That's why god invented Goretex

KurtR

WKR
That episode where the smakem boys have the Divebomb guys hunting in that blizzard looks like the most fun thing a guy can do outside the bedroom. But what I can't figure out is how you crazy bastards up there can do something like that in sweat shirts.

That's why god invented Goretex
Little wind breaker under the hoody and good to go till the teens haha. With early season we get to hunt in t shirts and shorts all the way to running buddy heaters in the a frames. It doesnt suck living here.

NDGuy

WKR
Little wind breaker under the hoody and good to go till the teens haha. With early season we get to hunt in t shirts and shorts all the way to running buddy heaters in the a frames. It doesnt suck living here.
Personally I just hunt bare chested in whitey tighties. And I don’t stubble my hide either

OP
Banded_spooney
Personally I just hunt bare chested in whitey tighties. And I don’t stubble my hide either
I'm assuming that's a joke but This was February. I had to put my vest on so I wasn't bare-chested for the picture and I'm wearing basketball shorts under my waders. Sunny and 70 baby. Shooting specks while working on a tan

IMG_2266.jpg

ianpadron

WKR
I used to hunt ducks 4-5 days a week.

Big game and upland have replaced it for me the past 4 years or so, but I still get out with my trusty red dog when the birds are in.

Looking forward to doing more waterfowling in Montana, was getting pretty sick of the mud/rain in WA state.

I rotate between a 12 gauge SX4 and 20 gauge Affinity. I really like the Browning XD #2s outta the 12 and anything outta the 20 since they're feet down in the decoys ;)

I run a mix of Avians, DOAs, Bigfoots, and GHG pro-grades. Ride em hard and store em wet haha.
IMG_20201203_175149_247.jpg20211214_100819.jpg

I used to hunt ducks 4-5 days a week.

Big game and upland have replaced it for me the past 4 years or so, but I still get out with my trusty red dog when the birds are in.

Looking forward to doing more waterfowling in Montana, was getting pretty sick of the mud/rain in WA state.

I rotate between a 12 gauge SX4 and 20 gauge Affinity. I really like the Browning XD #2s outta the 12 and anything outta the 20 since they're feet down in the decoys ;)

I run a mix of Avians, DOAs, Bigfoots, and GHG pro-grades. Ride em hard and store em wet haha.
View attachment 440638View attachment 440634
Beautiful golden you got there. Hope get there with my 7 month old eventually.

But to respond to OP:

Lots of love for the ducks. I feel like a lot of people look past the Florida coast and inland waters. There is no shortage of ducks down here. Most of the time I’m hunting small public lakes that no one considers being a place you can hunt. Other days, I’m in cut off camo pants hiding in mangroves. It’s a different style of hunting, but hard to leave the spots empty handed.

Bachto

WKR
I get out quite a bit, especially the last couple years. I have a springer that I take out during the warmer parts of the season, she is a hell of a little retriever just gets cold and can’t sit still lol.
A230D0FD-3128-4B5C-B98E-4DF8EEDDC371.jpeg
My buddy has a pretty sweet duck boat and the biggest lab I’ve ever seen so we go with him quite a bit when the weather is nasty and cold
7C528A08-D14A-4691-B235-1D4BECA0B64B.jpeg
My brother (the one guy in the group who will jump up to shoot the little divers zipping by lol) and myself. That’s my buddies lab who was barely a year old in this photo
F038F211-371E-4977-99C0-BDC0FE001B7C.jpeg

California refuge rat here, have had blinds in colusa and sutter areas but back to the refuges this year. Mostly hunt sac, colusa, and grizzly island. We shoot anything but divers, that might change though with my new gsp pup this year. He’ll be 8 months old when season starts.

Spindrift

FNG
New to the forum and stoked I found this thread.

I aim to go duckin twice a week if I can swing it. Meet the Fraggle Sisters, Judy and Sam. Only a few more months until early morning green brains and college football afternoons!

b9a4abbdee49d066ec12d93f9e8328bb.jpeg

d668bf541550b237f3f37abd2ea8c96d.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
...but I still get out with my trusty red dog when the birds are in.
Red dogs are the best.

Public land duck hunting has its challenges, but it makes the good days that much sweeter.

I have a couple extra big game tags this year, but I'll still get out for 25ish duck hunting trips. We're blessed with a long season in this flyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_100828646_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20211221_100828646_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220127_120809078 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220127_120809078 (1).jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181128_132452 (2).jpg
    20181128_132452 (2).jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 24
Hunted cranes and geese back in Texas for a a number of years on private but just got into ducks on public the last couple years. Just moved to AK and so it’ll be completely different waterfowl hunting than I’m used to. Hoping to get my first greenhead and widgeon and looking forward to adding all the sea ducks to my list later in the season. Those harlies and old squaws sure are pretty.

My favorite duck I’ve got so far is this mottled on the last day of the season this past year.

Gear: whatever decoys that I can pick up on the cheap and look decent. Calls, some cheap ones and a nice custom one a buddy made me, and my trusty SBEii.

Attachments

• 5B71E9B0-FD0E-4635-BCF3-AD4B60473E35.jpeg
    5B71E9B0-FD0E-4635-BCF3-AD4B60473E35.jpeg
    868.8 KB · Views: 13

FLATHEAD

WKR
Will probably get out some with my kayak & 870 on the local bay.
Throw out the dekes and pretend I'm a duck hunter.
Will put in @ a local park to try and avoid the mud motor lunatics on
the Duck Mgt. unit to the north.

Wags

WKR
I'm in the Lodi area. I have a couple private areas in the Delta region and still hunt refuges and public waterways.

Decoys vary depending on where I am and what I'm targeting but I primarily use Avians or GHG. I've got a ton of PlatiDuck and G&H Pins that I'll never part with.

As far as calls go I primarily use a Lares T1 & Zink XR 2 for mallards. I've got a Zink Super Thang and Foiles HPH for honks. I've messed with a ton of Spec calls and have come to the realization that I simply just suck at them but I've got a DR Ken White and a Grounds Super Spec. Both do me well enough to kill geese.

Brodie.jpgDucks.jpgDucks 2.jpgNiko.jpgLucy.jpg

OP
Banded_spooney
I'm in the Lodi area. I have a couple private areas in the Delta region and still hunt refuges and public waterways.

Decoys vary depending on where I am and what I'm targeting but I primarily use Avians or GHG. I've got a ton of PlatiDuck and G&H Pins that I'll never part with.

As far as calls go I primarily use a Lares T1 & Zink XR 2 for mallards. I've got a Zink Super Thang and Foiles HPH for honks. I've messed with a ton of Spec calls and have come to the realization that I simply just suck at them but I've got a DR Ken White and a Grounds Super Spec. Both do me well enough to kill geese.

View attachment 441747View attachment 441748View attachment 441749View attachment 441750View attachment 441751
Looks like you have the kids set up with Kupt up suck straps too. Things are great