Lack of love for waterfowlers

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely love waterfowl hunting. I am from Pennsylvania, we kill mostly mallards with some wood ducks and possible teal in early season and black ducks later on in the year. We have killed widgeon, pintail and gadwall as well though. Those three are not common at all though.

Geese is my pups favorite thing and I have to agree with him as well. Ducks are straight forward and pretty easy to kill. The geese we shoot are mostly resident birds. They are stubborn and take a pile of scouting. Lots of access is key. I have a 7x12 trailer rigged with light bars on each side running avian x full bodies as well as ghg FFD lessers.

As far as calls go, I make my own duck and turkey calls. I have calls in just over 42 states in the US. Pretty rewarding killing birds with your own calls.

Seasons about to start, good luck to all you fellow waterfowlers! View attachment 442686
View attachment 442687
View attachment 442688
View attachment 442689
View attachment 442690
View attachment 442691
View attachment 442692

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are nice looking calls. Are they all custom or do you keep an inventory? If you’re still making calls in 3 years I may try to get on your books, when I get back from my overseas tour in Italy.

Those are nice looking calls. Are they all custom or do you keep an inventory? If you’re still making calls in 3 years I may try to get on your books, when I get back from my overseas tour in Italy.

They are fully custom. I do not keep any on inventory sadly. I have plenty of inventory of materials. Lots of different options. Feel free to reach back out, I’d be happy to hook you up. Good luck and stay safe!!! Thanks for what you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badland

FNG
I’ll revive it. Here’s my wirehair Malkom in his first year at waterfowl. Retrieved I believe around 30 wild birds so far

Attachments

• C427DF4B-B64B-4D76-98D6-3637CFACB5B7.jpeg
    C427DF4B-B64B-4D76-98D6-3637CFACB5B7.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 58
  • A2CBD2DD-FBBE-4806-BDAD-7622BABAB9AB.jpeg
    A2CBD2DD-FBBE-4806-BDAD-7622BABAB9AB.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 56

49ereric

WKR
Not much good duck hunting left on Leech Lake Mn. Duck numbers are lower than anyone can remember.

dkell

FNG
Hey 49ereric. Wife’s family is from Walker. Father in law tells stories about the rafts of blue bills that used to come through.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Co guy here that loves a good river hunt, hiking a couple miles in the dark, and only shooting em cupped up and committed! Last few years tried to be pickier and just pick on those pretty boy ducks. Love getting my buddies pup retrieves though. Passion is still Elk archery and Mulies in the rut but the ducks got me into hunting and I still love chasing whistling wings. Used to go a lot as a single fella, with a wife and little one it will be a lot more rare for me to get out, hoping to get on a lease here in a couple years

Attachments

• D72BC03B-E33D-46C6-879A-8EF2F47A6D8C.jpeg
    D72BC03B-E33D-46C6-879A-8EF2F47A6D8C.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 3C58B3E4-294A-4E83-AB70-0B56D53C5B14.jpeg
    3C58B3E4-294A-4E83-AB70-0B56D53C5B14.jpeg
    692.5 KB · Views: 37
From Virginia here. As someone mentioned earlier, the best thing is the first few minutes of light and hearing the woodies flying in before you even see them. There is something so honest and pure about that moment before the hunting gets hot and heavy. I am a new waterfowler but love it lots already. Waterfowl is going to be a gateway for me to get into hunting. Being out in nature with not a soul in sight is the most beautiful experiences ever!

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Been at it for 8 years or so, we hunt a club in Gustine CA in the Central Valley. We will hunt the refuges if we get a good resi, getting my kids out there this year! (5 and 7). Pumped for tomorrow, good luck boys!

OP
Banded_spooney
Been at it for 8 years or so, we hunt a club in Gustine CA in the Central Valley. We will hunt the refuges if we get a good resi, getting my kids out there this year! (5 and 7). Pumped for tomorrow, good luck boys!
I wish I had a solid duck hunt lined up for tomorrow. It's much more of a sure thing to kick the season off but all three of my options right now are speck heavy. One could very well turn out to be truly epic. One would probably be a combo, and one would be in dry which isn't ideal right now.

I'm gonna risk it on the potentially epic speck-only hunt. See if we can't kill 40 for 4 guys. Specks over water is the most fun you can have outside the bedroom but can be risky. It can turn bust pretty quickly.

Oregon

WKR
I identify as a waterfowler. Ducks.
Geese get shot pass shooting while duck hunting or I get lots of invites during our Feb/Mar season. Late season hunts for geese depend on a strict criteria I place on the hunt. It's a scoring system. Basically I determine field to be hunted and if birds were in it the day before. How many decoys and how far do we have to push the carts? Our fields can't be driven in. Layout blinds or panel/permanent blinds, most important, what kind of Canada goose is using field. We have a bunch of subspecies.
I duck hunt between 70-80 days a year. Mostly public, but I do hunt quite a bit of private sheetwater after the big rains. Prefer the marsh though. Birds are more predictable.
Me and my girl Sage on a public hunt last day of season last year.
1C88DF86-2058-4825-AEAC-48D43A3DED67.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
Specks and snows are showing up here it will be full go the next week. First week of November I have a week off to hunt with my friend coming back from Tennessee it should be about perfect.

CorbLand

WKR
Went out today and got blown off the water. 20mph with 35 gusts made for an interesting boat ride back.

OP
Banded_spooney
4 of us killed 9 specks 5 honkers and a mallard. Guys in the next field blew up the roost on the way to set up this morning.

What I thought would be a combo hunt, that I didn’t go on, my dad did hunt it and his buddies 3 guns, 24 specks and two sprig

CorbLand

WKR
Wish we had that wind. Got a big feed of snows but 5 mph this morning had to wait for tomorrow
We were hoping more ducks would ride this storm in but there aren’t a lot here right now. Few geese around but that doesn’t open for another week. We had a couple ducks look like they wanted in the decoys but they couldn’t fight the wind and got blown to hell.

Wags

WKR
I wish I had a solid duck hunt lined up for tomorrow. It's much more of a sure thing to kick the season off but all three of my options right now are speck heavy. One could very well turn out to be truly epic. One would probably be a combo, and one would be in dry which isn't ideal right now.

I'm gonna risk it on the potentially epic speck-only hunt. See if we can't kill 40 for 4 guys. Specks over water is the most fun you can have outside the bedroom but can be risky. It can turn bust pretty quickly.

Beats nothing.

I've got a couple blinds in Corn on the Delta. We should have water in a few weeks. Can't come soon enough.

Deer hunting is first for me, but I have a buddy who lives on the eastern shore that is a big duck and goose hunter, I get a invite each year to hunt geese, it could become addictive if I lived closer, but as it is for me to hunt eastern shore geese its a 4 hour drive to meet him.

OP
Banded_spooney
Beats nothing.

I've got a couple blinds in Corn on the Delta. We should have water in a few weeks. Can't come soon enough.
3 guns in this wind this evening and things got pretty western.

We ended up with 4 species of geese today. I’ve never seen more than 2 killed in a day.