ladder stand brush-in tips?

TreyPound

FNG
I have a ladder stand that has good cover towards my left, but it is wide open on the right. (Please don't say "move the stand".

Does anyone have any good tips on how to add cover to break up my outline from a deer coming in from this side? For example, methods for attaching a tree limb. I was thinking perhaps of getting a stand umbrella -- thoughts on how to best use this to drap cover?

ethan

WKR
Look for people throwing out artificial Christmas trees, snip the branches off and just wrap them around the ladder here and there. I also routinely stretch a piece of paracord between last MB’s or adjacent trees and hang the Christmas tree limbs from the cord. Works great for breaking up your outline and providing cover

i would cut some big spruce branches and paracord them to nearby limbs, legs of the stand etc. suppose a guy could make some some of clamp on brush holder by welding a chuck of square tubing at a 45 degree angle to a vice grip

stonewall

WKR
I use baling twine tied to nearby limbs. THen hang cedar limbs from it. Lasts for the season usually

The artificial Christmas tree idea is genius. I like that

Btaylor

WKR
If the deer typically come from the left or your cover side, I would not worry about adding a bunch of extra stuff. If the deer typically come from the open side, I might still not worry about it. If you have good cover left that may give you good back cover for deer coming from the right so no real need to add more cover. Hard to say with out seeing the set up and the reality is you may very well need to move the stand. The best tree is not always the most convenient or the most concealed.

crolfes

FNG
The guys above are on top of it...an old xmas tree is the best because it will stay green year round. 2nd best is a cedar tree/branches but they'll turn brown by end of season. Just make sure you do this well before start of season to allow the deer to get used to any visual changes/scent.

Read a QDMA article a while back about cutting a human shaped silhouette out of plywood to but in the stand a month or so prior to the season. Gets them used to the shape of a man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
I was just going to say that.

I'm in the Christmas business myself and throw away boxes of old trees and garlands each year but have yet to try that myself.

Kilboars

WKR
I was just going to say that.

I'm in the Christmas business myself and throw away boxes of old trees and garlands each year but have yet to try that myself.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
Artificial Christmas tree's for me too. I was pretty proud of that idea, but I'm clearly not the only one to think of it!

I zip tie 3/16 luan plywood to the sides and done. Deer aren’t that smart. If they don’t smell you and you mask unnatural movement, they walk right by.

Chowell

FNG
Tree jack make some good products. Also have used zip ties and paracord to hold pine limbs or oak limbs. They will hold their leaves for a very long time

yes xmas tree parts and dollar store has pine garland you can sometimes get after xmas for like 50cents for 9 or 12 feet. people throw out artificial plants all the time too. ive made a few basic metal square frames and real or fake branches or fabric to make a blind /shooting rail of sorts. could proby bend up a length of electrical conduit too.i just tie the back center of the square to the tree about armpit height when sitting and then add two downward braces that i use tape and a few hose clamps / and or para cord to attach to each ladder rail going down. i dont trust it safety wise to hold me or lean on but its a great shooting rail with cover quick n easy.

buster180

FNG
I wouldn't worry about the actual ladder. How big is the tree? If it is big enough to conceal your silhouette you should be fine.

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Cut some small limbs from oak or maple, while they are still in green foilage (they will last longer). Attach them with your choice of wire ties. Artificial Christmas tree branches would also work for to attach the cut limbs.

I usually cut branches and jam them up around the existing branches to create cover. We are usually in oak trees which have a lot of small branches that you can cram bigger limbs into for cover.