Ladder stand for bow hunting

DuckDogDr

WKR
Getting back into whitetail hunting as the duck hunting has sucked arse the past 3 years. Shooting a recurve.

Looking for recommendations of a ladder stand. Want to stay away from climbers ..I know two people that have been hurt bad

LostArra

WKR
My 2 cents:
Ideally the best ladder stands have two features:
1. Foot platform that extends back to the tree.
2. Seat flips up so you can easily stand and remain close to the tree.

Unfortunately those ladder stands are not easy to find.
Leverage made a Speed Ladder and Outcast which had a telescoping ladder with what looks to be a Lone Wolf stand on top, These are ideal ladders but were pricey and are no longer available. I'm still using a Speed Ladder in thick cedar trees. Otherwise we just make do with what we can find locally.

With a recurve I like standing and being close to the tree. I have resorted to standing on the seat of some ladders that don't have a flip up seat.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
There are plenty of ladder stand options - just get one without arm rests and practice shooting out of it.

You may need to silence the stand - put it together and see what you can do and what noises it makes.

I prefer ladders myself. Just easier.

Got away from Climbers decades ago, had a close call. I know two people that were paralyzed, after falling out, one wasn't found for days, he succumbed to the elements within hours of being found, they said.

You can't beat ladder stands, I leave them up year round, just remember to add a new ratchet strap each year. Presently running 6 stands, sometimes they squeak when new, which is fixed by adding another strap or two to preload the platform.

I prefer the ones with arm rails, when standing I can lean my thigh against it for stability. Had a couple without rails and gave them away.

In addition to what LostArra said, I exclusively use double-wide ladder stands and those with the larger foot platforms available. Deer don’t notice any difference in the stand size and the extra room adds a ton of comfort and legroom.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love hunting out of the ole ‘Ol Man ladder stands. Sadly, they don’t make them anymore.

I hunted a buddy’s ladder that was made by XStand. Damn that thing was comfortable, so much so he nicknamed it “The Hilton.” Might be worth a look. Before the season throw some corn syrup on the joints. It doesn’t smell like WD40 and helps with squeaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I have switched to rivers edge 21' ladder stands. Super comfortable and roomy and built pretty stout. Pricey but worth it.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said, stick with one with no gun rest, i prefer singlewides for hunting with my recurve to be honest. Other big thing, get one with plastic washers at all assembly points, otherwise deer will hear you getting in every time

Not to be "that guy", but you should look into saddles. They are much safer than a climber as you are attached from the moment you leave the ground and much more comfortable than you would think at first appearance. I switched in 2018 and its very rare for me to hunt in anything else these days.

Got away from Climbers decades ago, had a close call. I know two people that were paralyzed, after falling out, one wasn't found for days, he succumbed to the elements within hours of being found, they said.

Were they wearing safety harnesses attached to the tree? If not, then that's dangerous for sure.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Getting back into whitetail hunting as the duck hunting has sucked arse the past 3 years. Shooting a recurve.

Looking for recommendations of a ladder stand. Want to stay away from climbers ..I know two people that have been hurt bad
Check out Family Tradition

I have two "Big Game" ladder stands and have been pleased with both. Mine are several years old. They have new models now. Flip up foot rest are nice. I like the flexibility to move as needed. One is 17ft and one is like 21 feet. They have held up well. I take them down each season. I also touch up the paint to minimize rusting.

Walmart is liquidating their 2 man ladder stands right now. I just picked one up for 79 marked down from 129. I can't remember brand but it has 500# weight capacity and is steel

Edit- Realtree brand and see pics

Attachments

• DE6D83B2-EC26-4618-9230-03E6D9BE693C.jpeg
    DE6D83B2-EC26-4618-9230-03E6D9BE693C.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 24B1F02A-81AB-4208-9220-DD74CE96A3BA.jpeg
    24B1F02A-81AB-4208-9220-DD74CE96A3BA.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: