Lady Luck

rclouse79

WKR
My son and I had made it half way up a steep ridge when I spotted another hunter a couple hundred yards ahead of us. There were not really any options other than up so I told my son we would glass behind him. A while later I see him walking down the ridge to us without his gun or pack. I was preparing to have him tell us off. Instead he asked if my son had a doe tag, because there were some does and maybe a small buck in the pocket ahead and he was looking for a mature buck. We went up there and my son ended up getting set on a little forky, but the little buck decided he had seen enough before he could pull the trigger. I thanked him for giving us that opportunity and let him know we would keep our distance behind him to not mess him up. He ended up shooting a short time later and I saw him headed down the hill to collect his buck. That is definitely the happiest I have been for someone’s success that was not myself or a buddy.
I thought I would post this to balance out all the posts about A-holes ruining the experience for everyone. There may be jerks in the woods but there are some stand up guys too, and apparently they have Lady Luck looking out for them.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Good to hear there are some hunters that still care about helping out other hunters!! That was good of him to let your son try to get in the forky and great that he ended up getting him a buck too!!

This little story covers both a-holes and saints. A number of years ago I noticed a very small spike buck hanging at a neighboring camp. Ran into the two hunters and I invited em to stop off for a beer. It came out that the guy who shot the little buck was a pretty accomplished and seasoned hunter who noticed someone else had shot the poor little spike and left him limping around with a broken leg. Rather than go to bed thinking about that little suffering animal, the guy put him out of his misery and tagged him. A real stand up thing to do IMO. Not so much for the guy that shot him and left him.

dtrkyman

WKR
Karma.

Did you help him pack out?

Most of my encounters in the back country are friendly and even helpful from both sides.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Karma.

Did you help him pack out?

Most of my encounters in the back country are friendly and even helpful from both sides.
I actually called out to him but he was already down the mountain. We ended up getting on another deer that didn’t work out almost right after.

Cowbell

WKR
We have a habit of picking up rafters/kayakers who need a ride back to their trucks. And it is always followed by notching a tag within a few days.

TSnave

FNG
Opening day was last Saturday and I happened to be the first person into the area I wanted to hunt. There's a fork with closed gates across the roads that go into two little drainages. As I was getting my gear on a young couple pulled in; they were adamant about not ruining my hunt and took the other drainage. About sunup I heard three shots from over their direction but I couldn't see anything. I hope it was them and they were successful, but they were gone when I came out.

I was sitting at my truck having a snack when some dude in a side by side came roaring up to the gates. "I guess that's as far as we go!" he says. Nah buddy, it's as far as YOU go. Takes all sorts, I guess.

ODB

WKR
Opening day was last Saturday and I happened to be the first person into the area I wanted to hunt. There's a fork with closed gates across the roads that go into two little drainages. As I was getting my gear on a young couple pulled in; they were adamant about not ruining my hunt and took the other drainage. About sunup I heard three shots from over their direction but I couldn't see anything. I hope it was them and they were successful, but they were gone when I came out.

I was sitting at my truck having a snack when some dude in a side by side came roaring up to the gates. "I guess that's as far as we go!" he says. Nah buddy, it's as far as YOU go. Takes all sorts, I guess.

this was my first season back west again since side by sides have gotten really popular. I must say it changes the feel of a place. As does the prevalence of trail cams everywhere - again, having really taken off while I was gone. So many guys I ran into in the field just swap stories of game cam pics. Kind of strange. But as you say, take all kinds.