Lag Bolts vs Tent Stakes

I've recently stumbled across a couple of videos where guys replaced tent stakes using a battery powered screwdriver and lag bolts. I've hit some spots where some of the stakes just won't pound in so this seems like it might be a practical alternative when truck camping with a big canvas tent tent. Anyone got an real world experience with this, especially in foul/windy weather? Any insights?

Hope your battery doesn't die while your hunting. Some of them get drained in a hurry going hot to cold. Suck to get to picking up camp and not be able to remove them. Also if frozen ground I'd imagine they heat up and refreeze.

Not the cost of the lags left behind, just the fact that your leaving them behind.

I don't see why it wouldn't work well. Something like a concrete wedge bolt.

SCREW-BOLT__85609.1565298978.386.513.png

3/4" × 10" probably long enough for hard ground

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Not worried about power, I can plug a charger into my Ram plus I have extra batteries. It's their holding strength and ability to penetrate tough rocky soil I'm curious about.

Not worried about power, I can plug a charger into my Ram plus I have extra batteries. It's their holding strength and ability to penetrate tough rocky soil I'm curious about.

If you have a battery powered impact I'd look at some heavy all thread. Like 3/4", grind a bit of a point on them, weld a nut or actually 2-3 to the other end.

I remember a tool for a rotary hammer to put in ground rods. I doubt you would get them out.

An unsupported rod being driven is more likely to flex from impact. So just smacking the tar out of a stake is likely to bend it rather than drive it.

Look up a few videos of using a post driver, the vibratory units seem to work pretty well in hard ground. I know with a heavy driver I generally just break them when I get hard ground.

I know some guys use drill bits for putting full body goose decoys in the ground. Maybe just getting a large drill bit to put a pilot hole for the tent stake is the answer.

LaHunter

WKR
I've recently stumbled across a couple of videos where guys replaced tent stakes using a battery powered screwdriver and lag bolts. I've hit some spots where some of the stakes just won't pound in so this seems like it might be a practical alternative when truck camping with a big canvas tent tent. Anyone got an real world experience with this, especially in foul/windy weather? Any insights?
While truck camping with a large tent, I use 3 ft sections of 1/2" rebar. A 12 lb sledge hammer will usually get them in deep enough, even through a fair amount of rock. I have had a Cabelas 12X20 Alaknak in some really bad WY wind (guessing 50+ mph) and the test stayed put. I felt like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz inside the tent, but it never pulled lose and nothing ripped. I just don't think you will get lag bolts long enough to hold, unless you are camped on a slab of rock.

I have always used ½" rebar. Cheap, easy to find and replace, holds well enough for me.

I have also used the big 12" nails in the past.

I cut steel T-posts into 24" lengths, and put a crude point on one end. For wall tent. Sold off the wall tent in favor of tipi, but it worked well.

r1iDdDL.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I cut steel T-posts into 24" lengths, and put a crude point on one end. For wall tent. Sold off the wall tent in favor of tipi, but it worked well.

r1iDdDL.jpg

Those would be shin busters for me. Takes me a few nights to figure out that there are stakes in the ground around my tent, and I'm sure I'd hit one of those soon after putting them in. I do have two foot 1/2" rebar stakes with a loop hammered over for all four corners if needed for the wind, but generally it's good to go without those.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lag bolts with a socket wrench work well for frozen ground close to the truck. I've also used rebar trapping stakes. I really like the 12" steel landscaping spikes. They are easy to drive in rocky ground with a 4 lb sledge.

OP
Where's Bruce?
My KC tents are not secured via guylines, you secure the stake holes in the tent directly.

Bruce, to use them you would need to have all the threads below the steak loop, otherwise you will be tearing the loop a bit each time, both putting it in, and taking it out. If you hit big rocks, it will not go through it. At best if you are lucky it will displace the rock and go in the cleared hollow area, diminishing it's holding ability.

Sure it looks slick, but I do not believe it will function well unless you are setting up in the lawn area of a park.

OP
Where's Bruce?
They make em up to 20" long, and removal sure looks easier than prying up some traditional stakes. I've had a heckuva time getting some stakes to come up. The top of the lag bolts are smooth, no threads so no worries about that.

... The top of the lag bolts are smooth, no threads so no worries about that.

Okay, so will the loops slide up past the threads when you are putting them in and taking them out. It's a rhetorical question because I already know the answer. Good luck with those Bruce.

lvtuna

FNG
I use a 3/8"x12" lag bolt. Carry a half inch drive impact. Goes very easy. The impact is also used on the tires. If I need to change one.