Lag Bolts vs Tent Stakes

CO-AJ

WKR
I've recently stumbled across a couple of videos where guys replaced tent stakes using a battery powered screwdriver and lag bolts. I've hit some spots where some of the stakes just won't pound in so this seems like it might be a practical alternative when truck camping with a big canvas tent tent. Anyone got an real world experience with this, especially in foul/windy weather? Any insights?
Interesting concept. Never thought about large lags.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
I just did this on my last trip with my Kodak Canvas 10x14. It’s great! Packed the cordless impact and an extra battery (didn’t need it). On a trip where I might expect multiple setups I’d just pack the charger also.

Anyways, way faster/easier than pounding giant stakes (and pulling them) and most seemed to be very secure. Seemed equivalent to the stake even though my lags are I think only 10”. This was recent in mid summer so I can’t speak to any real weather. I’ll certainly be doing it this way from now on, not too much trouble to pack the old stakes as backups.

tdot

WKR
I've used timber framing lag bolts driven into the ground to support concrete forms, also used then for bracing on some pretty heavy timber structures they work awesome. Easy in, easy out.

GRK makes some, along with other companies that I don't recall off the top of my head. But they are typiclly 5/16" - 3/8" in diameter, 12"-16" in length, with a very sharp thread, torx head.

gelton

WKR
Funny that this method was just recommended to me yesterday to be used along the bottom of the side walls of a canvas tent. Was told to just put washers on the top of the lag bolt so that the head of the bolt is bigger than the grommets on the bottom of the side wall.

My cousin used them a couple weeks ago on very hard ground,we couldn’t hardly drive my wall tent stakes in with a hammer, he used a impact with 3/8x8in lag bolts with impact ,worked amazing!

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I use both the 14" and 10" for my Kodiak with an impact. I keep a backup socket wrench. There are areas in West Texas that I cannot get a 14" into the ground, I have to use the 10". This method is much faster than beating in stakes with a 3lb sledge. Much less chance of ripping the tent with an errant strike also.