Lake amistad exotics

None! I have been like 4 times in the last month and haven’t seen anything except the very first time. The last 3 times it’s been dead. I did see an entire herd of axis deer on Saturday morning but they were across the lake where we can’t hunt. Did you see anything?

OP
Gheft

Gheft

FNG
I saw those axis, really wish we could hunt over there, sheep sightings have been few and few between, seen a total of 4 Rams, all on the private

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
There is a discussion going on about Amistad on the Texas Bowhunter forum, seems like prevailing opinion was that the NPS had the majority of the Mouflon netted and removed so they are now far and few between.

I personally have not hunted Amistad so ymmv.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Further west the state is asking land owners to cull all the exotic sheep to help the desert bighorns.

I had not heard that. I thought the only population of Bighorn in Texas was at Elephant Mountain WMA and then Big Bend.

OP
Gheft

Gheft

FNG
There is a discussion going on about Amistad on the Texas Bowhunter forum, seems like prevailing opinion was that the NPS had the majority of the Mouflon netted and removed so they are now far and few between.

I personally have not hunted Amistad so ymmv.
There's still piles of sheep, seen 200+ all on private, few ever come on the hunt area though in season

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Gotitbad

FNG
I had not heard that. I thought the only population of Bighorn in Texas was at Elephant Mountain WMA and then Big Bend.
TP&W is trying to reintroduce them in more places. I think they are up to about 2 dozen different bands of sheep. The Auodads are bigger than the bighorn and run them off the best habitat plus they regularly have 2 lambs so their numbers go up faster. They are more disease resistant (carriers?). With all the private land and the economic value to some ranches how sell Auodad hunts they know they can’t erradicate them but they want to reduce the numbers. If you are a large ranch owner with suitable habitat and want sheep introduced they require Auodad control. I think the ranchers get tags too.

FLATHEAD

WKR
While our native Bighorns take a lot of coddling to even get a foothold, get sick and have a hard time adapting to adverse environments.
I have to admire the adaptability of the Aoudad.
And I must add that I would love a big Mouflon!!

Last edited:
Curious if anyone is planning to hunt Amistad from this thread. I'm about to start scouting areas on the next few weeks.

MikeMike

FNG
I will be out there as well. My buddies property backs up to the hunt area 2 but he only gets Whitetail on his place. Really looking to shoot an axis, black buck or aoudad. I see black buck from time to time roaming just off highway 90 north of the lake headed to box canyon.

GRUBECHA

FNG
How crowded has it been out there for you guys? Luckily it isn't listed in the public hunts booklet or online 🤫

How crowded has it been out there for you guys? Luckily it isn't listed in the public hunts booklet or online 🤫
I've only been in Area 5, Saturday there were at least 3 of us hunting the area, possibly 5. Yesterday it was just me and 1 other.