Lanai, Hawaii Axis Deer

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Just registered for archery only and rifle later. Never taken an axis deer seen a few driving at night on Molokai. Quite excited. Any pointers, tips for a newb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glass eye

FNG
Deer are everywhere on Lana'i from the beach to the summit, east to west, north to south. A lot of hunters are lazy and road hunt, get into the deep gulches.

OP
K

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Going the archery only hunt in Feb. Also drew april 18, 19 for rifle. Good luck.

OP
K

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Need to register when open for Lanai. Molokai not a regulated species but unless you know someone there be careful.

bhartman

FNG
Is it a big hassle getting the animal back to the lower 48? I recall having to fill out a form when I went to Hawaii back in 07, not for a hunt, that I didn’t have XYZ in my possession. Just wondering what the process is.

glass eye

FNG
Is it a big hassle getting the animal back to the lower 48? I recall having to fill out a form when I went to Hawaii back in 07, not for a hunt, that I didn’t have XYZ in my possession. Just wondering what the process is.
None at all. What Hawaii asks for when arriving is so that they can prevent any kind of invasive species from taking over the islands. Leaving Hawaii has plant and soil restrictions but none on game animals, birds, and fish.

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to watch this thread. Interested how your experience is since I have a relative that lives out there and thought about doing a hunt there when I visit. Good luck

Where do hunters stay on Lanai? I heard there was some camp spots? But no “hunters” allowed? (Weapons) is there a budget hotel? The one resort is crazy expensive!

Shotshill

FNG
The entire island is privately owned by haole extraordinare Larry Ellison of Oracle fame... Its primarily guided only and its higher end for hotel.
Get your wallet out and enjoy!

Last edited:

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
Ahhh the day I can own my own island to hunt.... will probably be the day after I hopefully meet my maker lol

Tahoe1305

WKR
The entire island is privately owned by haole extraordinare Larry Ellison of Oracle fame... Its primarily guided only and its higher end for hotel.
Get your wallet out and enjoy!
All true except the guided hunt.

Super easy to do non guided. Can do public hunt by drawing once a year in November (hunts start in February for 3 months). Or you can hunt private rifle for $400 a day, archery $150 a year, or shotgun $150 a day all un guided.

Easiest way to stay is in town via air bnb. Expect about $200 a night for whole house. Hardest is getting a 4x4 vehicle to access to areas (all dirt roads).

happy to provide info and contacts I’ve made hunting there over last three years.Was there two weeks ago hunting private rifle for the weekend and going there in two weeks to do public archery. It’s an awesome island.

have spoke with a handful of folks on the phone from Rokslide and happy to speak with more. Don’t let it intimidate, it really is a gem out here and can be done pretty cheap.

Look at the hunting section for the private stuff

OP
K

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Where do hunters stay on Lanai? I heard there was some camp spots? But no “hunters” allowed? (Weapons) is there a budget hotel? The one resort is crazy expensive!

Yep this is the hardest part as I found out. Lots of locals have hunter regulars who went the whole house. My buddy from Lanai so he hooked me up with some people for the vehicle and house. Need to send a check tomorrow for deposit and all about the vehicle. Starting two nights at my buddies parents in tent but other than that all good.

Good luck, let us know how the hunt goes. I would love to Bowhunt Lanai!

I’m headed to the big island this spring and will hunt. My wife doesn’t seem to complain about my hunting in Hawaii since she gets to come along and sit on the Beach!

gburk

WKR
I'm curious about this too.
Does the hunting permit from Pulama Lanai apply to the CGMA areas in the north during any parts of the year (like when the state isn't holding hunts there), or just the named "per-weapon" areas shown on the map? http://lanai96763.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Hunting-Map082718.pdf
TIA

All true except the guided hunt.

Super easy to do non guided. Can do public hunt by drawing once a year in November (hunts start in February for 3 months). Or you can hunt private rifle for $400 a day, archery $150 a year, or shotgun $150 a day all un guided.

Easiest way to stay is in town via air bnb. Expect about $200 a night for whole house. Hardest is getting a 4x4 vehicle to access to areas (all dirt roads).

happy to provide info and contacts I’ve made hunting there over last three years.Was there two weeks ago hunting private rifle for the weekend and going there in two weeks to do public archery. It’s an awesome island.

have spoke with a handful of folks on the phone from Rokslide and happy to speak with more. Don’t let it intimidate, it really is a gem out here and can be done pretty cheap.

Look at the hunting section for the private stuff

Tahoe1305

WKR
Doesn’t apply to those three areas. For rifle and shotgun you reserve the area for the day ahead of time. For archery it’s anything green. Hope that helps.