Lanai, Hawaii Axis Deer

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone happen to know how to get a hold of Bob the Butcher guy on Lanai?

I am headed there a week from today and trying to find someplace to hopefully freeze some meat (or have it processed by him if that's my only option)?

Also am open to any suggestions if anyone has any other ideas. I am staying at the Four Seasons and the room only has a mini-fridge so that isn't going to cut it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
K

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone happen to know how to get a hold of Bob the Butcher guy on Lanai?

I am headed there a week from today and trying to find someplace to hopefully freeze some meat (or have it processed by him if that's my only option)?

Also am open to any suggestions if anyone has any other ideas. I am staying at the Four Seasons and the room only has a mini-fridge so that isn't going to cut it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Damn $1k a night just ask the hotel for spending that much I’d think they’d give you access ti their walk in.

Good luck on the archery hunt as it sounds like you’ll be there for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Damn $1k a night just ask the hotel for spending that much I’d think they’d give you access ti their walk in.

Good luck on the archery hunt as it sounds like you’ll be there for that.

That's the plan, just unsure how that convo will go so was looking for plans B and C.

OP
K

kong

Lil-Rokslider
Tahoe and Wild. How ling you guys going to be there for? Going 25-29. Just seeing how many fellow roksliders going. Seen the stats its like 0.4-0.6 deer per archer compared to over 1 for rifle.

Good luck to all.

glass eye

FNG
Seen the stats its like 0.4-0.6 deer per archer compared to over 1 for rifle.

Have hunted Lana'i many times.
Low archery kills is not for lack of deer, just the opposite. Hard to stalk deer when there are so many eyes and ears.

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Tahoe and Wild. How ling you guys going to be there for? Going 25-29. Just seeing how many fellow roksliders going. Seen the stats its like 0.4-0.6 deer per archer compared to over 1 for rifle.

Good luck to all.

Not sure if this was directed at me as I didn't see a Wild on the thread but I'll be there from the 20-28th and happy to meet up and chat or I'll buy a cold beer or two.

Good luck on your hunt!

All true except the guided hunt.

Super easy to do non guided. Can do public hunt by drawing once a year in November (hunts start in February for 3 months). Or you can hunt private rifle for $400 a day, archery $150 a year, or shotgun $150 a day all un guided.

Easiest way to stay is in town via air bnb. Expect about $200 a night for whole house. Hardest is getting a 4x4 vehicle to access to areas (all dirt roads).

happy to provide info and contacts I’ve made hunting there over last three years.Was there two weeks ago hunting private rifle for the weekend and going there in two weeks to do public archery. It’s an awesome island.

have spoke with a handful of folks on the phone from Rokslide and happy to speak with more. Don’t let it intimidate, it really is a gem out here and can be done pretty cheap.

Look at the hunting section for the private stuff
Thanks for the info! Very helpful!

jluigi

FNG

Super easy to do non guided. Can do public hunt by drawing once a year in November (hunts start in February for 3 months). Or you can hunt private rifle for $400 a day, archery $150 a year, or shotgun $150 a day all un guided.

Easiest way to stay is in town via air bnb. Expect about $200 a night for whole house. Hardest is getting a 4x4 vehicle to access to areas (all dirt roads).

happy to provide info and contacts I’ve made hunting there over last three years.Was there two weeks ago hunting private rifle for the weekend and going there in two weeks to do public archery. It’s an awesome island.

have spoke with a handful of folks on the phone from Rokslide and happy to speak with more. Don’t let it intimidate, it really is a gem out here and can be done pretty cheap.

Tahoe1305 would you mind PMing me? I have a trip coming up to Lanai and would love to pick your brain

an3290

FNG
Tahoe1305 would you mind PMing me? I have a trip coming up to Lanai and would love to pick your brain
Did you end up going / have any luck? I drew a nonresident archery permit and head to Lanai in 3 weeks.

thewoods

FNG

Hello,
Would be wonderful to talk to you about your experiences on Lanai. looking to do the Private Pulama rifle hunt hopefully this coming late March. Not sure if you could message me your number or how i could contact you. Wife and I have hunted Molakai for Axis and wanting to try self guided for something different. I dont have enough posts to private message you. i am on here every morning for coffee time but mainly reading others posts. Thanks, Rob

Tahoe1305

WKR
PM sent.

I really appreciate all the PMs/Calls on the subject. I even more appreciate the after stories.

I will be honest with folks though, I moved away about 2 years ago and am coming up on not having been on Lanai for 2 years. Only say that to say my info is possibly dated. Hoping to get back in next 12 months.

FWIW, the public lanai sheep/axis solicitation hit the streets last week. Quick google should be able to pull it up. A bit different this year.

Sconan

FNG
Hi, I have an axis deer hunt planned for July for “rifle b”. I am very excited. I have housing and truck reserved. I am only hunting for two days though so I am trying to do as much early investigation as I can. Does anyone have experience in “rifle b”? Or could you give me some pointers on what kind of habitat to look for? Do the deer have any daily patterns I should look for?

Tahoe1305

WKR
Hi, I have an axis deer hunt planned for July for “rifle b”. I am very excited. I have housing and truck reserved. I am only hunting for two days though so I am trying to do as much early investigation as I can. Does anyone have experience in “rifle b”? Or could you give me some pointers on what kind of habitat to look for? Do the deer have any daily patterns I should look for?

My experience is pretty typical I would say with other big game animals. They will move in early morning and late afternoon (even in open spaces and large groups) to get from food to cover areas. During the day they are mostly in cover. That can range from the taller grass fields to the areas with heavy bush and foliage. BL they are tougher to locate during the day and you should focus on dawn and dusk.

I found they typically followed a similar movement pattern for each day. If you can figure out where they are moving to bed you can get an advantage. Will be tough in two days.

Area B was my favorite. Find things that are green (water) and have cover, you will find deer.

Good luck.

rm339

FNG
My experience is pretty typical I would say with other big game animals. They will move in early morning and late afternoon (even in open spaces and large groups) to get from food to cover areas. During the day they are mostly in cover. That can range from the taller grass fields to the areas with heavy bush and foliage. BL they are tougher to locate during the day and you should focus on dawn and dusk.

I found they typically followed a similar movement pattern for each day. If you can figure out where they are moving to bed you can get an advantage. Will be tough in two days.

Area B was my favorite. Find things that are green (water) and have cover, you will find deer.

Good luck.
Hey man I am looking to do an axis deer hunt in hawaii and was wondering if you could help me out a little. I would like to do it diy style. Can you Dm me on insta my insta rhettmeek