Lanai Mouflon hunt

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a tag for the state run mouflon hunt on lanai. It's a rifle tag for the first weekend of the general rifle hunt at the end of August. I'm really looking forward to it and have never even been to Hawaii. Just wondering if anyone has done this hunt before? Looking for any info about the hunt or even about Lanai in general. Thanks in advance Ty

Jardo

WKR
Sheep are everywhere but normally not near roads. Hike the ravines and canyons and you will find them. It’s not a big area and you could hike it all in 2 days. Really no secrets.

Here’s a ram I whacked over there a couple of years ago.

Bring lots of water.
ef9030266916bb097fa494e478823a20.jpg

8e2c88af2c5a9bfb7edb752fc92e4d03.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTSLW

FNG
I drew the same tag and am just starting to plan the hunt! Nice ram! It looks like there are limited places to stay on the island, any suggestions on lodging? Also, do you know if you can use suppressors for hunting?

npm352

WKR
I drew the Labor Day tag for rifle but will be archery hunting for the week long season and hope to get one then. I know nothing about Lanai, but to answer the question on supressors, I believe it is no. No SBRs (even with stamp), AR pistols, supressors, etc. Gun laws in Hawaii are almost like another country. If you are on the islands more than 5 days (I believe) you actually have to register your gun. We tried this on a DIY hunt on big island last summer and they refused to do it because we had no appointment...they couldn't get us in in the following 3-4 days either. Unsettling.

I am excited to see how you do! I may have some tips after archery season. Just hoping to learn it and get into some game. Best of luck!

I drew a tag for the state run mouflon hunt on lanai. It's a rifle tag for the first weekend of the general rifle hunt at the end of August. I'm really looking forward to it and have never even been to Hawaii. Just wondering if anyone has done this hunt before? Looking for any info about the hunt or even about Lanai in general. Thanks in advance Ty
how did it go

OP
M

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
It went great. I got a ram and had a blast. Kind of different from any other hunt I have been on. Met a bunch of interesting people and very helpful as the heat really got to me the day I got my sheep. Some guys from maui gave me a lift back to my atv as I was whipped. Saw a bunch of deer as well. Thinking that hunt would be cool to try. I plan on going back someday. Ty

Attachments

• 20190824_163805.jpg
    20190824_163805.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 188
It went great. I got a ram and had a blast. Kind of different from any other hunt I have been on. Met a bunch of interesting people and very helpful as the heat really got to me the day I got my sheep. Some guys from maui gave me a lift back to my atv as I was whipped. Saw a bunch of deer as well. Thinking that hunt would be cool to try. I plan on going back someday. Ty
ya it can get hot out there. i usually leave the truck with 3.5 liters in my pack and then have a gatorade and 3 1.5 liter bottles frozen in my cooler that melt as the day goes on and act as ice.

thats a solid ram nice job

Looks like you hunted shipwreck area.

Sheep are everywhere but normally not near roads. Hike the ravines and canyons and you will find them. It’s not a big area and you could hike it all in 2 days. Really no secrets.

Here’s a ram I whacked over there a couple of years ago.

Bring lots of water.
ef9030266916bb097fa494e478823a20.jpg

8e2c88af2c5a9bfb7edb752fc92e4d03.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thats awsome