Land Cruiser owners??

Doghed

WKR
88 FJ62, 162,000.
It used to be my daily driver. I haven't taken her out of the driveway in 11 years. Needs some TLC.
I'm hoping to get her fired up again when my 13 year old son needs a vehicle in a few years. He can drive the Tacoma and I'll cruiser.

Fitzwho

WKR
1987 FJ60 that I have owned for half of my life (coming up on 19 years in a couple months). This was a 1000 mile round trip to see family and chase pigs around Thanksgiving.

F310FFC9-F9C8-45FC-A572-810FD791FD0F.jpeg1B7CDA9E-D4CB-4ABC-B2A9-7619FDD9CC49.jpegHere it’s about 700 miles from home a day or two into my Colorado Mule deer hunt back in November.

80’s ride a little smoother.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve got 2 GX470s and one FJ 60 my dad has had since it was basically new. Awesome vehicles. I don’t know that my next vehicle will necessarily be a LC due to them just continuing to go up in price, But I definitely love them.
FWIW, a GX is not a Landcruiser. Hate to be "that guy" but it is more of a 4Runner than a Landcruiser.

FWIW, a GX is not a Landcruiser. Hate to be "that guy" but it is more of a 4Runner than a Landcruiser.
I sorta get where you are coming from, it’s definitely not the same as the pedigree of the mainline cruisers- but Toyota itself calls the toyota counterpart of the GX a land cruiser. I guess it depends on your definition of a LC, but it has just about as much claim to the LC name as a LX450/LX470/LX570/LX600. It’s just a rebadged LC prado like an LC is a rebadged LC.

I would dare say that the GX is closer to the new LCs than the New LCs are to the 40/55/60/70 in terms of functionality and goals. That being said, if the LC market wasn’t stupid right now, I’d love to have one of the “real” ones.

Iron pig

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always had an affliction for Land Cruiser’s but I’ve never owned one, well that’s about to change. I’m buying a ‘92 FJ80 with 129k miles. This rig has never been in an accident, and has spent the first 26 years of its one owner life in Texas. It’s 100% stock and pretty much the bottom of the line Land Cruiser for a ‘92, but it’s as clean as they come. Anyway, for all the land cruiser owners out there, any opinions on the rig I just bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soooo, I Have 2 - A '77 FJ80, Bought it with the intention of having a Hunting/trail rig that i could run around Mtn Road, Drive in town etc, Turned into a Complete resto.... Long Story, But now a Sunday Driver.

The second i Bought This fall to keep from Taking my Diesel P/U Off road, A Lot More room, Nice Interior, Fit the full Family, Seats 7 pop the seats out and i can fit a Jet Sled Between Wheel wells, Ice fishing shack on the roof.
Hunting season I have my Self Climber, Bow Case, 2 Totes with Clothes, Boots/Boot dryer rack,, its great.
Also Series 80 Have fold Down Tailgate, with 60% Lift Gate. Bottom Half being tailgate drop that to sit on when getting dressed, Top Half keeping rain off you while your having a coffee etc.

Also Kids in the cold weather, I fold down the 2nd row, they sit on the back of the seats to get Ski Pants on, Boots etc, Wayy nicer than a truck. Its an LX450/FJX80. '97

FJ80 were 91-92 Had a 3FE 6 Cylinder engine, With Geartrain Rather than Timing chain. Less HP, But good engine.
93-97 had a 3FE engine, Bit more power, Timing chain. 93 to 97 had ABS, Air bags.

All Are Full time AWD and have a Differential in the transfer case Making them AWD rather than 4WD.
Believe 91 to 94 had a Factory Center diff Lock Switch. This would lock the Center differential turning into True 4WD. Believe in 1995 they changed the dash layout giving different Vents in the PS, Different Radio, Heater controls etc. They also Removed the Diff Lock Switch from the Dash, But Wiring is still there, You would need to install the switch. (Switch Enables you to Switch into 4WD in High Range) Switching into Low range on T-Case Auto Locks into 4WD.

The Triple Locked Versions Are Locked Center Diff/T-case which all are already, and front/Rear Axle locks.. These are sought after, But Have factory BCM (Body Control Module Servos/Motors and are expensive to repair thru Toyota. You can by a Non Locked Version and run Aftermarket Diff Lockers, if you want. Triple locked Versions Bring around $2-5K Heavier Price tag. Heard around 10% of 80's came from Factory being triple locked? You can buy ARB or Eaton Lockers for around $1K each and Avoid the Toyota Electronics.

Personally, 80 Series/LX450 are great, Cant really think of a Better all- purpose unit, good seating, Good ON road Comfort, Good Off road Capability, TOUGH and Good room, Tailgate is awesome Over conventional SUV's with full lift gate.

Only Bad is a solid 12MPG. 25 Year old Vehicle is going to need some work though.

Also, If you want to Get rid of AWD and turn into Rear wheel, You can remove the T-case Gears and install a Spool, Turning into 2WD in the rear Diff Lockers, Install Manual Locking Hubs in the front and Centre diff Lock would then be like any other 4WD. Can then Run Axle Lockers and Should gain 2-3 MPG. It would pay for itself Over time, depending how Much you drive it. Be around $6-800?

IP

OP
AK Troutbum
Soooo, I Have 2 - A '77 FJ80, Bought it with the intention of having a Hunting/trail rig that i could run around Mtn Road, Drive in town etc, Turned into a Complete resto.... Long Story, But now a Sunday Driver.

The second i Bought This fall to keep from Taking my Diesel P/U Off road, A Lot More room, Nice Interior, Fit the full Family, Seats 7 pop the seats out and i can fit a Jet Sled Between Wheel wells, Ice fishing shack on the roof.
Hunting season I have my Self Climber, Bow Case, 2 Totes with Clothes, Boots/Boot dryer rack,, its great.
Also Series 80 Have fold Down Tailgate, with 60% Lift Gate. Bottom Half being tailgate drop that to sit on when getting dressed, Top Half keeping rain off you while your having a coffee etc.

Also Kids in the cold weather, I fold down the 2nd row, they sit on the back of the seats to get Ski Pants on, Boots etc, Wayy nicer than a truck. Its an LX450/FJX80. '97

FJ80 were 91-92 Had a 3FE 6 Cylinder engine, With Geartrain Rather than Timing chain. Less HP, But good engine.
93-97 had a 3FE engine, Bit more power, Timing chain. 93 to 97 had ABS, Air bags.

All Are Full time AWD and have a Differential in the transfer case Making them AWD rather than 4WD.
Believe 91 to 94 had a Factory Center diff Lock Switch. This would lock the Center differential turning into True 4WD. Believe in 1995 they changed the dash layout giving different Vents in the PS, Different Radio, Heater controls etc. They also Removed the Diff Lock Switch from the Dash, But Wiring is still there, You would need to install the switch. (Switch Enables you to Switch into 4WD in High Range) Switching into Low range on T-Case Auto Locks into 4WD.

The Triple Locked Versions Are Locked Center Diff/T-case which all are already, and front/Rear Axle locks.. These are sought after, But Have factory BCM (Body Control Module Servos/Motors and are expensive to repair thru Toyota. You can by a Non Locked Version and run Aftermarket Diff Lockers, if you want. Triple locked Versions Bring around $2-5K Heavier Price tag. Heard around 10% of 80's came from Factory being triple locked? You can buy ARB or Eaton Lockers for around $1K each and Avoid the Toyota Electronics.

Personally, 80 Series/LX450 are great, Cant really think of a Better all- purpose unit, good seating, Good ON road Comfort, Good Off road Capability, TOUGH and Good room, Tailgate is awesome Over conventional SUV's with full lift gate.

Only Bad is a solid 12MPG. 25 Year old Vehicle is going to need some work though.

Also, If you want to Get rid of AWD and turn into Rear wheel, You can remove the T-case Gears and install a Spool, Turning into 2WD in the rear Diff Lockers, Install Manual Locking Hubs in the front and Centre diff Lock would then be like any other 4WD. Can then Run Axle Lockers and Should gain 2-3 MPG. It would pay for itself Over time, depending how Much you drive it. Be around $6-800?

IP
That is all great information IP, thanks a lot for taking the time to post it!

bobinmi

WKR
I really want to pick up one of the "classic" land cruisers with right hand drive and a diesel. However, I'm not much of a wrencher and it just doesn't seem like a good idea for someone who can't fix it themselves. Parts could be a nightmare.