Land Cruiser owners??

I’ve always had an affliction for Land Cruiser’s but I’ve never owned one, well that’s about to change. I’m buying a ‘92 FJ80 with 129k miles. This rig has never been in an accident, and has spent the first 26 years of its one owner life in Texas. It’s 100% stock and pretty much the bottom of the line Land Cruiser for a ‘92, but it’s as clean as they come. Anyway, for all the land cruiser owners out there, any opinions on the rig I just bought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
Welcome to the sickness. 2000 hundred series for me.

Straight six that should run forever, but once you start throwing bigger tires on her a regear will be needed, or new motor swap.

Check out IH8MUD if you haven’t already. Great forum with a lot of expensive ideas.

Enjoy the Cruiser!

Redangus

FNG
As I’m sure you know, old Land Cruisers are in high demand right now! Seems like they’ve doubled in price over the last 2 years. Sounds like you found an excellent one. Congrats!

Not an owner, but a fan. Spent a lot of time looking for the right one and after a couple years gave up and bought a new tacoma… with that low mileage and not in a road salt state, it’s just a baby. Every one I found was 250k-300k mi or more and abused. The birfield front end takes a bit more maintenance but that truck is a tank and properly maintained should last forever.

gearguywb

WKR
I have had a bunch of LC's over the years. 100's, 200's, 40's, 80's.....yikes

The FJ80 is a great platform IMHO. The only drawback is they are underpowered a bit and love fuel :). If its more of a hunting/play vehicle it will do whatever you want and come back for more.

ahlgringo

WKR
200 series owner here, I would 2nd the IH8MUD forum, have learned quite a bit over there. Yes, it is a sickness, but if you are already on here, then you already have it anyway.

You picked up a great "blank slate"- enjoy!!!!!

mmac

WKR
I am jealous, I also have a 200, but the older ones are really classy.....

FLATHEAD

WKR
94FJ80 here.
3" OME lift.
Triple locked.
33" Toyo's
Strictly a local hunting/fishing wagon.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
97 lx450 3locks. I waited a long time to find mine.

Neighbor slid his crew cab cummins on 37's off the road. They tried pulling with a couple of crew cab trucks to no avail. I just hit the lockers and backed over the bank with my winch up high enough to get a line on him.....done. then I crawled out like it was never a thing.

Heavy. Thirsty. Classy.

My buddy just found one last fall. It needed some front end work which he was able to do in the driveway, and once he gets the rear main fixed it will be tip top. He made sure to find the one with the "triple" locker- front, middle, rear. He loves it.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had a 97 LX 450 with lockers and currently my wife is driving a 2017 200 that will be mine shortly to turn into a hunting truck. First and foremost, there is no bottom of the line. There are basically no options on a LC, you get what you get. Not really any upgraded trim packages or options. Second, the straight 6 is notorious for head gasket failure. It's a lot of not if, but when. Mine failed at like 250k, replaced it along with a lot of stuff while in there an it was extremely dependable. If it hasn't been replaced, know it may or may not come, but it is a reality. At 129k it most likely hasn't been. Ih8mud is a wealth of information. Great vehicles and you will love it. Also, you will get to be familiar with gas stations.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have two Lexus versions .. a 2011 LX570 ... and a GX470 modded (technically a 120 series)

JesseC

FNG
They are a ton of fun. I have a LC200 and an FJ60. I'm not sure which I like more, but I do know that unless some unforseen financial hardship hits, I'll always have a LC in the garage. They're incredibly overbuilt, which translates into one of the most capable and reliable vehicles I've experienced. The other benefit, they don't lose their value! Sounds ridiculous, but if you check out the used market - you'll see that there's enough crazy people out there with cash in their pocket to nearly MSRP any used vehicle on the market.

bobr1

WKR
I’ve always had an affliction for Land Cruiser’s but I’ve never owned one, well that’s about to change. I’m buying a ‘92 FJ80 with 129k miles. This rig has never been in an accident, and has spent the first 26 years of its one owner life in Texas. It’s 100% stock and pretty much the bottom of the line Land Cruiser for a ‘92, but it’s as clean as they come. Anyway, for all the land cruiser owners out there, any opinions on the rig I just bought?

Land cruisers are great. I took me like 2 years to find my first one that was not trashed. It is a 2000 with 125k and use it for everything. My wife’s crappy Ford Edge went kaput… and just by chance that day someone was selling a 1998 with 168k in town that had all the maintenance records and the timing belt had been done fairly recently. So we ended up getting it and now we have basically identical vehicles, same paint too lol. Prices are definitely going up on them. I’m sure you will love yours, they are very mechanically stout. Also a really good forum for help or information on all land cruisers by far is the ih8mud forum.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my 2017 in 2019 with 30k miles. It has 80k miles on it now and can get more than what I paid for it. Sure you have inflation and supply issues, but also Toyota is no longer going to import the Landcruiser to the US market. I will never sell mine and kick myself every day for selling my LX450.

We’ve got 2 GX470s and one FJ 60 my dad has had since it was basically new. Awesome vehicles. I don’t know that my next vehicle will necessarily be a LC due to them just continuing to go up in price, But I definitely love them.