Lander and Jackson WY

I will be traveling through lander Wyoming and Jackson Wyoming in the next couple of days. What are some outdoor related places that would be interesting to stop and see? Any good restaurants in either of those towns that you would recommend?

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
In Lander, Sinks Canyon is pretty cool. The Popo Agie (pronounced Poposia) river goes underground and comes out a mile or so down the canyon and you can see big fish hanging out where the river reemerges. There's also rock climbing cliffs and hiking trails.
You will pass through a small town called Dubois, where I lived for 3 years. Lots of cool stuff there. I would drive up Trail Lake road by Torrey Lake. It's common to see big horn sheep off the road. There is also a hiking trail where you can see Sheep Eater Indian petroglyphs.
Also if you're interested Dubois has a National Museum of Military Vehicles. It's the largest private collection of tanks in the world.

Brendan

WKR
I like the Snake River Brewing Company in Jackson. Always has what I'm looking for: Good Burger, beer. But can get crowded.

Big Hole BBQ in Jackson is good too.

Mangy Moose up at the base of the Ski Area is one of my happy places, but that's always been Apres Ski in the winter.

def90

WKR
The Blue Lion in Jackson serves an awesome elk tenderloin the Kitchen has a great red deer plate as well. As above if going through Dubois be sure to stop by the military vehicle museum. It's not a rinky dink place it's on par with a Smithsonian level museum.

Razz

FNG
Nestled between the Tetons & the Big Holes
Dubois: yes to the military museum, have not been ther but have friends that highly recommend it, Cowboy Cafe has fantastic homemade pie, Bighorn Sheep Interpretive Center just before you hit town coming from Lander is well worth the stop.
Jackson: have your facemask ready, the county just clamped down on public space use, be patient at anyplace you stop for eats, outrageous housing costs and folks turning what were rentals into Air B&B’s have put a serious cramp on available housing for workers, lots of places have reduced hours or shut down select days cuz they cant get enough staff. Not a big fan of Snake River Brewing, prefer Sidewinders and the owners is big supporter of Vets! Merry Piglets has good Mexican and killer margaritas. Town is still busy, but slowed down a little. Family’s are gone but now its “newly wed and nearly dead” season.
If you cross Teton Pass to the quiet Teton County here in Idaho, try a huckleberry milkshake at The Emporium in Victor. The Knotty Pine Supper Club is a go to for eats. Alice’s Bison Meatloaf is great, as is any of their BBQ.

Smoke and haze are messing with views and things are day by day. If its clear, the gondola ride up the mountain at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is pretty nice. Same for the drive thru Grand Teton National Park. The ride out to Slide Lake near Kelly is interesting. The lake was formed when a part of the mountain slid and blocked the Gros Ventre River back in the 1920’s. And the sandwich/coffee/beer stop at KGV (Kelly on The Gros Ventre) is recommended. On this side of the Tetons riding the chairlift up to the top at Grand Targhee and a very short hike leads to some awesome views of Grand Teton and surrounding country, if the smoke haze is clear. You can ride back down or hike down. There is a shop in Driggs that rents inflatable kayaks and offers shuttle service for floats on the Teton River. It is flat water, nothing fast or technical. Lots of moose too. If you see a guy dressing out and cutting one up, please stop as it may be me!

Last edited:
I'll second the Gunbarrel and Snake River Brewery in Jackson. Also try Pearl Street Bagels for a quick breakfast and coffee. I drove past the military museum in Dubois just over a year ago and didn't have time to stop but it's definitely on my list for a return trip. The National Bighorn Sheep Center is also in Dubois. There are a ton of galleries in Jackson and Grand Teton National Park is nearby.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Im here right now. First trip out west and i am loving this, my kind of place. We got some mountains back home but this is a different world. Im at the tobacco row cigar lounge, watching like 500 elk across the street in the refuge.

Ill try snake river for supper

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Im here right now. First trip out west and i am loving this, my kind of place. We got some mountains back home but this is a different world. Im at the tobacco row cigar lounge, watching like 500 elk across the street in the refuge.

Ill try snake river for supper

Snake river was as described above - good beer, good burger, sorta crowded. My fiance and i waited 25ish minutes fir a table. I had my first bison burger - it was definitely good burger, but i was not overwhelmed. Think we'll try gunbarrel tomorrow.

I was however blown away by the art galleries - i walked into one off the square and it was awesome, beautiful paintings. Ive never been an art guy but i walked around and looked at every single painting in the place, very cool

Theres a 2 hour time zone difference so ive been wide awake since 5am local time lol

wyosteve

WKR
Glad you're enjoying. If you haven't done it, consider the horse drawn sleigh ride through the elk herd on the refuge. Pretty amazing!

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Glad you're enjoying. If you haven't done it, consider the horse drawn sleigh ride through the elk herd on the refuge. Pretty amazing!
We're actually doing that today!

I definitely looked like a tourist, i walked 2.5 miles just in town yesterday with my bino harness on. BUT i spotted a bunch of mule deer up on that big hill next to town, watched a snowmobiler whipe out, and got a better look at the elk in the refuge from the boardwalk.

Im happy as a clown at the moment. We've got a snowmobile trip planned for tomorrow in yellowstone. We were suppose to do one yesterday at Grey's River but our first flight got cancelled and rescheduled so we missed it

Big Ern

WKR
Lander: go to the Lander Bar. Good beer and great burger. Sinks Canyon is pretty cool. Can spot bighorns in there.

Jackson: cool place, but total sh!t show these days with the crowds. Snake River brewing is cool.

def90

WKR
Spent past week in Jackson, saw the start of the Pedigree Dog Sled race, I get out there pretty much once a year. Had the venison loin at The Bistro at Cloudveil, was incredible, the buffalo wellington at the Local, pasta and elk osso buco at Glorietta, a Bison steak of some kind at Gather and topped off the week with the elk tenderloin at the Blue Lion.. You can't get better restaurants than in Jackson.. Snake River I've never been a fan of, shitty service and the same beer and bar food that you get at 90% of the microbrew restaurants anywhere else in the country.

Drive the road between town and the Jackson Hole and you are just about guaranteed to see a moose. There was a herd of a couple hundred bison hanging out along the road north of the airport while I was there.

Hardly_Hangin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for all the suggestions - We rented a car yesterday in Jackson and made a loop down through hoback (beautiful drive), alpine (palisade resevoir was beautiful), swan valley, stopped in victor for lunch (asian persuasion wings at westside are top 5 best ive ever had) and a world famous huckleberry milkshake.

Also would recommend pearl street bagels, we ate there twice.

For beer selection and bar food, i preferred roadside over snake river in jackson.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
If you still need some restaurant recommendations:

Thai me up is great, Melvin Brewings restaurant

Teton Tiger is fantastic as well.

The best sushi I've ever had was at King Sushi. Keep in mind there's about 8 tables and wait times can be over an hour. Show up right at 5 and try to get a seat at the counter. So worth it.

Breakfast at the bunnery is a must as well.

Suda has always been good as well.

There's a few good restaurants at The Village as well, can take a little drive and see all of the $30M houses of the billionaires in Wilson.

Tubing and night skiing at Snow King is fun

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk