Landjagers...

Tod osier

WKR
Maybe not traditional landjagers, but close enough for me. Ground 15 pounds of venison and pork, stuffed sheep casings, 48 hour ferment, 4 hours of smoke and 2 weeks drying....

Had to make them before the temps got too warm in the basement…
nlst7UG.jpg

After 2 weeks in the chamber…
cYUPNiO.jpg

All packed up for adventure snacks…
ivxCAPQ.jpg

Poser

WKR
I’ve made these before following the directions in the book “charcuterie.”
-favored meals of the infantryman of the Roman army if I recall correctly.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
I’ve made these before following the directions in the book “charcuterie.”
-favored meals of the infantryman of the Roman army if I recall correctly.

I use that exact recipe and I've had good success for several batches. I use T-SPX as my culture, which is different than what they say. I doubled the pepper from what they call for, but otherwise they are pretty stock.

Last edited:
OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Tod, what is your curing chamber setup if you dont mind sharing?

Just got out of the backcountry (are some landlagers, btw), sorry for the delay. I use a chest freezer ( unplugged) with a small computer type fan in the bottom to move the air. I have a humidity sensor and just crack the lid different amounts to manipulate humidity. If you do 15 plus pounds of meat the sausage generates enough humidity so that none needs to be added (water pans, humidifier, etc). It really works well. I have a little piece of 1x2 wood that allows me to crack the lid different amounts. It is super low tech, but I’ve made a lot of batches and had amazing success and great quality.

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Sometimes simple is the best way. Do you ever apply Bactoferm600 to any of your products?

I have not tried it, but thought about it. If I have mold problems, I pull the sausage and wipe it all with a strong salt solution on a rag. I never have trouble with mold and jagers, but sometimes with larger sausage early on when I’m trying to keep the humidity very high.