Lane Precision Rifles - build and review ***Updated 1/13/20***

The 300 RUM is an elk killer for sure. I'll get it chambered in that round with the intent to shoot the 220 grain Hornady ELD-X. Dallas mentioned he cuts the chamber to optimize accuracy for different types of bullets and has had great success in his past builds.

Josh, curious why the 220 and not the 212? The 220 seems to be designed to support mag feeding in rifles with magazine restrictions and thus has a lower BC than the 212. I wouldn't think you'd be magazine constrained with a custom.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Josh, curious why the 220 and not the 212? The 220 seems to be designed to support mag feeding in rifles with magazine restrictions and thus has a lower BC than the 212. I wouldn't think you'd be magazine constrained with a custom.
That's a good question and my answer is I really like using a "heavy for caliber" bullet whenever possible. There is always a chance to work up a load with the 212 and I very well may. It seems like it would be ideal for really stretching out the legs on a 300 RUM.

338maker

WKR

Magazines are always the constraining factor in a rifle chambered for a long cartridge such as the 300 rum if they are chambered sammi!
When building a custom rifle there is no such thing as one size fits all in the Freebore length and so on, so i build my rifles according to what the customer prefers to shoot and I go from there!
The difference between BC's on these two bullets is actually mute when they are this close in actual numbers. Josh likes a more hunting style bullet and i will chamber accordingly so he can utilized those style of bullets and get the most potential from this case!!

I follow a few gunsmiths on social media... lane precision is at the very top of my dream list builders.. his rifles are by far better looking than anything on the market.. his ceracoat color schemes are second to none..
If I can ever save up enough for another custom rifle, Dallas is getting my business.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

338maker

WKR
I follow a few gunsmiths on social media... lane precision is at the very top of my dream list builders.. his rifles are by far better looking than anything on the market.. his ceracoat color schemes are second to none..
If I can ever save up enough for another custom rifle, Dallas is getting my business.

fisherman983 I appreciate the very kind words. In this line of business its easy to do the same thing over and over again and for some that's fine and dandy, but for me I just don't work that way I want challenges and I want them different. I thrive on projects that no one else wants to even try and tackle. That's what I think separates LPR from the rest of the pack!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

That is one of the many great ingredients that go into an LPR build. It is truly a custom build in every sense of the definition. The combinations of parts, colors, and shapes to choose from can be overwhelming but Dallas has been awesome to work with getting things lined up. He has a great sense in what kind of build the customer is after. He's answered more than a few of my questions over the past month!

And I think you'd be surprised on how affordable one of his builds can be with the right selection of parts.

cjl2010

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite day on Instagram is when you come across the LPR photo dump!!! Incredible quality!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
It looks like the build is progressing. Dallas sent me a picture after he threaded and reamed the barrel. I’m not sure what the next steps are but I’m excited to find out.

6fec30b04df762cd7e330052e84b7273.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doing a thorough review on a rifle like this will require a few tools and accessories that are as equally precise as the test subject.

The new Leica 2800.com rangefinder seems like the perfect instrument to help pair with a rifle such as the one Dallas is building. I’m excited to pair the two up and start some hands-on testing.

f5612613740a1f0a4c0785dc8344ac2d.jpg

As far as glass that will set atop the LPR, it will be something I’m used to using...
0396e5334041f1515204d52508a2df00.jpg

Mk7mmSTW

WKR
Dallas is awesome to deal with!!!

I bought a NF from him off a forum and we got to talking and he is now giving my STW a overhaul. I liked talking with him so much, my buddy said have him build me it’s twin!

We sent him our shot out guns and he is setting them up with proof sendero carbon barrels, Hawkins brakes and using his tried and true STW long throat reamer. Going to be EH5 stocks, 26 and 28 inch proof barrels with Hawkins brakes and bottom metal with a 4 inch box to fit the original king of the overbore!

Fast forward a month and I’m using a custom 6mm (that I always thought was a little heavy) on a hog hunt and the ranch owner wanted it so while I was hunting I texted Dallas about building me a 6mm on a tikka I had and he was up for it! So now I’m waiting on Mesa precision to finish my Tikka stock and proof to send me a 22in carbon barrel to put this tikka together. Dallas had a tried and true 6x47 Lapua reamer so soon he will be putting this together for me as well!

I bug the sh#t out of him texting questions and he always answers me and still hasn’t blocked my number. First class guy who is now the Go To Guy for my buddies and I. Customer service is king to me and he gives no BS opinions based from experience.

Last edited:

338maker

WKR
Dallas is awesome to deal with!!!

I bought a NF from him off a forum and we got to talking and he is now giving my STW a overhaul. I liked talking with him so much, my buddy said have him build me it’s twin!

We sent him our shot out guns and he is setting them up with proof sendero carbon barrels, Hawkins brakes and using his tried and true STW long throat reamer. Going to be EH5 stocks, 26 and 28 inch proof barrels with Hawkins brakes and bottom metal with a 4 inch box to fit the original king of the overbore!

Fast forward a month and I’m using a custom 6mm (that I always thought was a little heavy) on a hog hunt and the ranch owner wanted it so while I was hunting I texted Dallas about building me a 6mm on a tikka I had and he was up for it! So now I’m waiting on Mesa precision to finish my Tikka stock and proof to send me a 22in carbon barrel to put this tikka together. Dallas had a tried and true 6x47 Lapua reamer so soon he will be putting this together for me as well!

I bug the sh#t out of him texting questions and he always answers me and still hasn’t blocked my number. First class guy who is now the Go To Guy for my buddies and I. Customer service is king to me and he gives no BS opinions based from experience.

MK7mm STW the kind words and your business are always appreciated brother !!!!!!!!

I know some times it gets pretty hectic being a one man operation and yes I will admit sometimes I loose track of time, I really do try and have good Com's as best as I can with customers but I'm not perfect ill admit that! Have I ever screwed up since I started my business?? of course I have and ill be the first to admit I'm not perfect,, show me someone that say's never have and I'll show you a liar!!

Do I send pics of every single part of the build? No not usually. I feel that you the customer have put enough trust in me to build you a sweet rifle that pictures don't do anything justice until its in your hands.

I'm kind of a Christmas came early guy and think a little surprise in this industry is needed to keep us feeling like kids in candy stores!! LOL

I also try not follow Fads or gimmics or give an opinion on something I have no experience with .. that's not me!

I know what works and what does not! with all the internet gimmic cartridges coming along and other major false claims on certain round performance vs. another so on and so forth I stick to what I know and what will perform at the top of what my customers want!!

Am I afraid of new stuff and what can be? Of course not, but I'm also a realistic guy and am pretty savy when it comes to the cartridge game and know you cant paint stripes on a lion and call it a tiger!!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
...and just like that the parts become a complete rifle. Dallas and I have been talking about a time to get together for a range day that will include some long range initial testing in southern Idaho. I’ll put together a little video of the details that went into building the rifle and my early impressions while I’m visiting the LPR range. Stay tuned.

49bd6192f0e2a5e6fd1f3c7afac3af10.jpg