Lapping compounds for broadheads and carbon shafts.

Zac

WKR
I have recently been thinking that an inconsistency inside the carbon shaft wall could be responsible for less than perfect concentricity when spinning broadheads. Neck turning is a common practice to combat runout in competition rifle shooters. I am thinking that applying some lapping compound to the area above the threads on a broadhead may help align the ferrule more evenly when using a HIT insert. Has anyone attempted this? If so, what grit compound did you use?

Last edited:

dkime

WKR
Neck turning is utilized for ensuring consistent neck tension and for tight neck chambers in bench rest applications. I would be extremely wary of lapping the shoulder of a broadhead unless it does not fit. The AMO standard for an insert is .207-.205 and the standard for a broadhead should is .202-.204 at this dimension. I don't see how creating more of a clearance is going to help ensure your concentricity. I would look at turning a groove and installing an Oring if that were what I was after. However you're still subject to the tolerance of the shaft and of the insert system itself. Give it a whirl!

Reactions: Zac