Lapponia vs other crispi boots durability?

jofes

WKR
Looking at the Lapponia GTX for a sheep hunt in the brooks, 3 concerns are,

1. the leather rand, I've had a pare of leather boots get cut to pieces in the sharp rocks and all of the other more expensive boots from crispi have a rubber rand.
2. 2 felix rating, would you consider that to much flex for sheep country?
3. Weight, the number one reason these appeal to me is 1.2 lbs per boot, I've noticed on long days ounces matter when it comes to my feet and I'll always pick a lighter option if given the choice.

I'm 5,7 weigh 175 and have been running meindl perfekt hikers for 2 years and there close to done. 16112490681451698650131631332000.jpg

Would appreciate some input from others with experience.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been lucky enough to go on a sheep hunt, but I've done quite a bit of mountain and alpine hunting. My go to boots for that type of hunting are Lowa Tibets which are stiff, full rand boots.

You may want to ask over on the Sheep Hunting sub forum as well?

I would probably go with the summit gtx over lapponia for that type of hunt. I little more substantial but still ultra light, and the have a really nice rocker for climbing steep country.

most will suggest a much stiffer boot, but I like a softer boot no matter what... personal choice, I guess I have tough feet because I have never had an issue.
The Colorado is a light similar boot but stiffer than the summit

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never sheep hunted, but wear the lapponia on probably 80% of my hunts. Great boots, but very flexible and the leather is kinda thin. Great for prairie mule deer, spring turkey. I think you would want a more robust boot for sheep.

Those are really a bit too flexible for a sheep hunt in my opinion. You could get away with them if you have horses/llamas to get in and out and have help to carry the load.

Your right about keeping it light weight. 1lbs on your feet equals 5 on your back. Usually with lightweight though you’re sacrificing durability in a leather boot with a lightweight rand.

Salewa makes the toughest full/toe rand I’ve ever used. The Raven 3 would be a great choice about 1.5lbs or the Crows for a bit more lightweight. A few other in the 1.5lb range - La Sportiva Trango Cube, Scarpa Kuiu R-Evo, and Lowa Alpine SL although they’re funky as hell looking...If your set on keeping it super light weight Mammut Taiss Light is 1lb. Just got a pair ordered myself so can’t speak to durability yet. Make sure you the fit is great. The stiffer a boot gets the better the fit needs to be.

Otherwise if your loads are around 30# most the time there are plenty of great options in the 2lb range in full leather for sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jofes

WKR
Sounds like a the lapponia is too flexible for the intended use, appreciate the responses.

I believe crispi uses a PU coated leather rand on their boots, not rubber
Looking at the Lapponia GTX for a sheep hunt in the brooks, 3 concerns are,

1. the leather rand, I've had a pare of leather boots get cut to pieces in the sharp rocks and all of the other more expensive boots from crispi have a rubber rand.
2. 2 felix rating, would you consider that to much flex for sheep country?
3. Weight, the number one reason these appeal to me is 1.2 lbs per boot, I've noticed on long days ounces matter when it comes to my feet and I'll always pick a lighter option if given the choice.

I'm 5,7 weigh 175 and have been running meindl perfekt hikers for 2 years and there close to done. View attachment 255325

Would appreciate some input from others with experience.

OP
J

jofes

WKR
Even on the briksdal and nevada? I was under the impression it was fully rubber

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
No experience with the Lapponia but I've packed out four rams in the last two years wearing the Briksdal SF. If it's a good fit for your foot, I could not recommend them enough. One of my partners on a trip had the non-SF Briksdals and seemed to like them a lot as well.

nobody

WKR
As far as durability, my cousin in law runs the Lapponia and has for 2 years (elk and deer) and they've held up great. No high alpine stuff, but they've been good. This year will be year number 5 for me on my Thor GTX's and they've been bulletproof, no plan to replace them yet. Though I've never been sheep hunting, I would run the Thor's before the Lapponias in that environment.

OP
J

jofes

WKR
No experience with the Lapponia but I've packed out four rams in the last two years wearing the Briksdal SF. If it's a good fit for your foot, I could not recommend them enough. One of my partners on a trip had the non-SF Briksdals and seemed to like them a lot as well.
Does the weight of the boot ever seem to be a factor? Is the stiffness an issue on long approaches? The SF seams to be .5 more stiff on the scale, is that the only difference?

gexpro

WKR
i put over 400 miles on my Lapponia GTX's and love them, specifically because of the amount of flex and how lightweight they are.. the terrain i hunt in is high alpine-very rocky, and a lot of scree.

the only other "high end" boot i have had to compare is the Scarpa R-Evo, which are very nice as well; just a tad bit stiff for my liking, but do hold up extremely well in very steep/rocky country. Flat ground is a bit hard on the shins for me due to the minimal flex/insole.

as mentioned above, id pass for a tougher boot for sheep country. Scarpa specifically

OP
J

jofes

WKR
i put over 400 miles on my Lapponia GTX's and love them, specifically because of the amount of flex and how lightweight they are.. the terrain i hunt in is high alpine-very rocky, and a lot of scree.

the only other "high end" boot i have had to compare is the Scarpa R-Evo, which are very nice as well; just a tad bit stiff for my liking, but do hold up extremely well in very steep/rocky country. Flat ground is a bit hard on the shins for me due to the minimal flex/insole.

as mentioned above, id pass for a tougher boot for sheep country. Scarpa specifically
Did you have issues under load in steep terrain?

gexpro

WKR
Did you have issues under load in steep terrain?
no not at all, I had about a 90lb load over a course of approx 10 miles both a lot of elevation gain and descend.

last season I shot my mulie down in a canyon about 6 miles from camp, we had to drop about 2.5k in elevation to get to him. I took him down at about 5:30PM, we broke him down and packed him back up to camp, . was a long haul, but we got back at about 1AM..

Overall, i am very happy and very impressed with the Lapponia..

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the weight of the boot ever seem to be a factor? Is the stiffness an issue on long approaches? The SF seams to be .5 more stiff on the scale, is that the only difference?

I’ve never noticed the weight of the boots even when we get into double digit mileage. Crispi’s level 5 stiffness isn’t as stiff as a mountaineering boot. You can walk in the Briksdal SF without getting the ski boot feeing.

wyben

FNG
I've been wearing them for 4-5 years mostly Elk hunting. I love them. I'm not a big guy, about 150 LBS. They've held up well. I've packed out Elk, also with them, hunted in the snow. there still in great shape.

Trial153

WKR
I have a Crispi boot that by many accounts has had durability issues. However, I have used the hell out I a pair of Crispi Dakotas and they been flawless. Waterproof and have held up fantastic.
No complaints whatsoever.

kad11

WKR
Those are really a bit too flexible for a sheep hunt in my opinion. You could get away with them if you have horses/llamas to get in and out and have help to carry the load.

Your right about keeping it light weight. 1lbs on your feet equals 5 on your back. Usually with lightweight though you’re sacrificing durability in a leather boot with a lightweight rand.

Salewa makes the toughest full/toe rand I’ve ever used. The Raven 3 would be a great choice about 1.5lbs or the Crows for a bit more lightweight. A few other in the 1.5lb range - La Sportiva Trango Cube, Scarpa Kuiu R-Evo, and Lowa Alpine SL although they’re funky as hell looking...If your set on keeping it super light weight Mammut Taiss Light is 1lb. Just got a pair ordered myself so can’t speak to durability yet. Make sure you the fit is great. The stiffer a boot gets the better the fit needs to be.

Otherwise if your loads are around 30# most the time there are plenty of great options in the 2lb range in full leather for sheep.

@Topo_trekker

How did the Mammut Taiss Lights work out for you? Any major durability issues?