Laptop for video and photo editing

mherne8

FNG
What is the best laptop for the money for photo and video editing? Mine shit the bed and it’s time for an upgrade. Any insights and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I don't have a ton of experience with computers, however I have built a desktop before, and have a basic working knowledge of what may work best for you.

You'd likely be better finding a system that meets a couple of criteria than a specific model. I would recommend a system with at least a 1tb SSD drive, this will allow you to store quite a bit of video, and access it quickly. You will likely want some sort of GPU (graphics processing unit) and not the included on board graphics in the CPU (processor). My old laptop did not have this, and it ran editing software extremely slow. With that said, it probably isn't as important as other aspects. For CPU's, adobe software will run faster with more cores, but it isn't necessary. Lower cores will make rendering and exporting a project somewhat slower, but if you have time it isn't a big deal. Also, the speed of the processor will make a difference on performance. Another extremely important thing is RAM. I would recommend getting 16gb of ram, minimum. If you have less than this your computer may be a bit sluggish when editing video that's 1080p quality or higher. RAM is used by pretty much every application, so you will want to make sure you have enough.

To summarize what I said above, in order of importance, I would recommend to look for a computer with:
-16gb RAM
- upgraded cpu (higher GHz speed or more cores)
-1tb (or larger) ssd
-separate graphics (gpu) from (cpu)

Not sure what your budget is, but this would be the current generation of macbook 13in with the upgrades I was referring to.

If you are going to be loading thousands of pics its also helpful to have a external hard drive so you are not keeping your computer full all the time. You can store a lot more on that and pull files as needed as opposed to packing hard drive full of hi resolution photos.

What is the best laptop for the money for photo and video editing? Mine shit the bed and it’s time for an upgrade. Any insights and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I’m a fan of Apple’s MBPr and software suite for media editing - Final Cut Pro is cheap compared to Adobe Premier and Apple’s laptops are optimized for it.

For photo editing, Photoshop runs fine everywhere.

Personally I’d grab a new-old stock MBPr 15” with 32GB of memory, pay for about 2tb cloud backup, and a Costco 2tb HDD and start there.

OP
mherne8

mherne8

FNG
Hey all I ended up getting a MacBook I’m happy with the decision so far. I’ve got a lot to learn on the photo and video editing side but I’m getting better.

Jlkunde

FNG
I’m a fan of Apple’s MBPr and software suite for media editing - Final Cut Pro is cheap compared to Adobe Premier and Apple’s laptops are optimized for it.

For photo editing, Photoshop runs fine everywhere.

Personally I’d grab a new-old stock MBPr 15” with 32GB of memory, pay for about 2tb cloud backup, and a Costco 2tb HDD and start there.
[/QUOT

How does the final cut pro stack up against adobe? If you were to make a decision strictly on those two editing platforms which would you choose?

CWECWE

FNG
How does the final cut pro stack up against adobe? If you were to make a decision strictly on those two editing platforms which would you choose?
First, Final Cut Pro is only for mac. If you have a mac and want to keep it somewhat simple without worrying about video codecs and color grading, I would stick with Final Cut. Final Cut runs fast and smooth on a mac.

I personally use both but primarily use Premiere because it's cross-platform compatible (for pc and mac) and it allows me to do more with my system of editing in a professional sense.

Both are mainstream elite video editors and will accomplish anything most people are wanting to do....even professionals. So, if you have a Mac I would suggest Final Cut because it just runs buttery smooth. And if you have a PC, and those are your only two picks, then go with Premiere.

Jlkunde

FNG
First, Final Cut Pro is only for mac. If you have a mac and want to keep it somewhat simple without worrying about video codecs and color grading, I would stick with Final Cut. Final Cut runs fast and smooth on a mac.

I personally use both but primarily use Premiere because it's cross-platform compatible (for pc and mac) and it allows me to do more with my system of editing in a professional sense.

Both are mainstream elite video editors and will accomplish anything most people are wanting to do....even professionals. So, if you have a Mac I would suggest Final Cut because it just runs buttery smooth. And if you have a PC, and those are your only two picks, then go with Premiere.

perfect explanation thank you.