Lapua brass

Have some Lapua brass coming for my wifes 7mm-08. Does Lapua brass come ready to load or do I need to size and chamfer/debur?

cmahoney

WKR
It’s pretty much ready to load, I run them over a neck mandrill because they are packaged loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gexpro

WKR
just got my lapua brass for my 300 PRC last week.. it needs a mandrel to straighten out any dings on the neck from transit. otherwise, prime them and load them up!

Attachments

• IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 33
OP
MuleyFever
Be conservative going in. They tend to be heavier than many others and will pressure up sooner.....of course they tend to take more pressure better too.
Good idea. Its for my wife so I dont plan to try and get to crazy. I will start on the low side and stop as soon as I see good accuracy. Looking for a good balance of accuracy and hopefully lower recoil. She wont shoot further than about the 350 yard range anyway.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
For low recoil and high performance on deer you might want to try the 120gr ballistic tip nosler. I’ve used it for many years and it’s been a solid performer. Recoil is mild, not much more than a .243.

OP
MuleyFever
For low recoil and high performance on deer you might want to try the 120gr ballistic tip nosler. I’ve used it for many years and it’s been a solid performer. Recoil is mild, not much more than a .243.
She is after elk this year. Good hunting bullets are so hard to find right now but I found some 139gn Interbonds we are going to try. If they dont work we may try Hammers if we cant find anything else. We have some time so hopefully this shortage lets up a little.

I had not planned to reload for her rifle but who knows if we will be able to get any good factory ammo. I was looking around for 7mm bullets for my 280ai and saw the Interbonds in stock. I did a quick search and found some 7mm-08 dies and this brass so said what the hell, may as well just reload so we dont have to worry about finding enough factory ammo to practice and hunt with.

JRMiller

WKR
Always do a neck mandrel, the necks always get some minor ovalization during packing/shipping. It’s always only a couple in a hundred but I find them every time.
If your not looking for precision accuracy don’t worry about it but generally most people buying Lapua are looking for just that

N2TRKYS

WKR
She is after elk this year. Good hunting bullets are so hard to find right now but I found some 139gn Interbonds we are going to try. If they dont work we may try Hammers if we cant find anything else. We have some time so hopefully this shortage lets up a little.

I had not planned to reload for her rifle but who knows if we will be able to get any good factory ammo. I was looking around for 7mm bullets for my 280ai and saw the Interbonds in stock. I did a quick search and found some 7mm-08 dies and this brass so said what the hell, may as well just reload so we dont have to worry about finding enough factory ammo to practice and hunt with.

Shootersproshop has 140 grain Partitions in 7mm in stock.

Firehawk

WKR
A good load of Varget (if you can find the powder) and 140 Accubonds is really good medicine on elk from our experience. 3 of my kids have used that recipe for cow elk with excellent results. 140 Ballistic Tips for deer.

Lawnboi

WKR
Mandrel, chamfer and debur. Lapua will be super tight if you don’t use an expanding mandrel. Every caliber of virgin Lapua I have used had very irregular seating pressures on the first load. Those fresh annealed necks are very grippy. I never put much merit into the first firing either.

mcr-85

WKR

Hey I think I have a box of 150 grain Swift Sciroccos that I never ended up using if you are interested. I likely won't use them for anything. I was going to load them a few years ago for my mom's mountain goat but I kept that gun shooting Berger's. Let me know if you want to try them.

OP
MuleyFever
Hey I think I have a box of 150 grain Swift Sciroccos that I never ended up using if you are interested. I likely won't use them for anything. I was going to load them a few years ago for my mom's mountain goat but I kept that gun shooting Berger's. Let me know if you want to try them.
Ill take them. If they dont work out for her I will try them in my 280. Ill send you a PM.

I haven’t shot 7/08 lapua but most lapua brass I’ve seen doesn’t need anything but a mandrel to straighten out neck inconsistencies and reduce neck tension. They are commonly very tight on first firing.

Gilkj4

FNG
Ready to load. I run the expander only thru the neck to remove dents and go to work. A 22deg inside chamber helps with jacket scraping too.