Lapua Improved

WRO

WKR
Sorry guys, taptatalk doesn't show the forum when I post..

I was unintentionally being an asshat..

Maka

FNG
Hi all My first post .....and I know its an old thread but Why wouldnt you just go with the 338 Excalibur 30'' barrel 3150 fps with a 300 Berger is very easy and Jamison brass gives great life. no special throats. full neck /projectile contact, If more tried it I think it would be more popular.
Thanks .

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure I could get a 30" barrel in and out of my shooting houses. I don't even have a shotgun with a 30" bbl any more.

GKPrice

Banned
Since this is the long range forum I was speaking of such. It would be interesting to compare the felt recoil of my 16lb 338 Terminator with a 5 port slab brake to a light weight 7mm-08 non braked. The last 13 yr old girl that took a management elk at 500 yards with it got up and told her dad " that thing is like shooting our 22" An exaggeration for sure but even my small framed wife will only shoot elk with this rifle. Her comments is " I want to use the big rifle" " I want them down". She has taken an elk with one shot for 6 consecutive years now. Her farthest two were 816 yards with a 338 Lapua and 767 with the 338 terminator.

We too believe in chambering a follow up round and being back on and ready if needed. Elk will gather up their strength and take flight or walk off at times. The only ones we needed to shoot twice this year were a couple shot with 7mm's. For sure placement is king over all other factors. But in real life there will be times when for whatever of the many factors, the bullet is not placed perfectly. For these times the bigger rifles will be your friend.

Jeff

the fact that this is a longrange forum page should be remembered at all times ! I always remind myself that when I look at a thread in this section as all should - It's too easy to wander either direction when "comparing" experiences or cartridge selection - there is no comparison to what a 338 bullet with a good hit will do to an elk, no question - That said, in my "favorite" scenario hunting elk I could never be wearing ear protection or be packing a 16lb rifle, BUT that's me and that's "my favorite" way to hunt them (which doesn't happen all that often anymore) It's pretty cool to enjoy the fruits of ones' imagination and labor when a good long range weapon works as you had hoped it would

Disregarding the brass issue, if you like that 300 RUM RIFLE you could have it rebored by JES to 338 and just maybe rechambered too, then you'd have a rifle you like (maybe), cut rifling at whatever twist and L&G combo for a bunch less money - Also, I can't help myself from commenting on the muzzle brakes, Richard Buss's patented "muzzle master" brakes work for both the recoil AND the shooter's ears - He has a drawer FULL of Weatherby 30 & 338/378 factory brake take offs that he's done (among many many others), I've looked at them - I receive nothing for the mention except trying to pass the word to fellow shooters and hunters

And BTW, a lightweight 7mm-08 will kill an elk just as certainly in it's realm as a 338L AI will in it's - I killed a 5 point at 17' that was gonna let me walk right past him in his bed but I slipped and he lost his nerve (after he bit it I realized my scope covers were still on and his horns were crossed ... LUCKY but none the less still satisfying)

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
The 338 Lapua AI is a great round for serious long range. I have built and shot several. Expect 3000 fps from a 300 Berger in a 30" barrel with VV N570. A true long range hammer

Jeff

If you can find N570. I have about 4 lbs left and 16 lbs of H1000 in reserve since N570 seems to be more like the holy grail of powders these days.

Ima revive this thread. Cus I've owned and build 30 cals and 338s.. I just put an all down at 875 with a 245 berger outta a 300 norma ai.. the wound channel was crazy with the amount of energy this bullet released. Not to mention the elk was dead before he hit the ground:)

Kasey