Large Knife or Small Hachet?

RedFox67

FNG
I recommend any Fiskars product: I have a hatchet, axe, and maul; they work extremely well. You could come in under 100 USD with a Fiskars hatchet, Essee knife, and Wyoming saw (has wood and bone blade). All of these are great products.

Beendare

WKR
So many specialized tools for backcountry trips like this. A big knife in Australia would probably come in handy.

When backpacking, I mostly go fast/light....no stove. Other trips with a stove or campfire- I bring a hatchet.

When we tow a couple horses in the backcountry we sometimes bring a full bore axe....and that splitting Axe that Gerber makes is pretty darn good.

If I am going lighter I bring a light 24" fold up bow saw and THIS Gerber hatchet that's a little over one pound.

adamm88

WKR
I would carry a hatchet like fiskars. The big knives are heavy to carry but there other things that function way better. If you wanted a knife i would get a Victorinox butcher knife, it wont have the durability as something like a esee but it would do basic meat prep along with camp chores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
Forgot to mention. One of my many big knives is bark rivers version of a Golok. Part matchete part hatchet for lack of better description. 17 oz and much lighter than my bigger blades and handily out chops them all and one if the best batoning tools I have. With rounded tip will not do any good on game however.

mvrk28

WKR
I have read up on Dan Winkler's knives and they look like an extremely awesome knife. Thanks for all the help. I think I might just have to try a range of options to find out what suits my needs best but definitely leaning towards a bushcraft knife paired with a havalon or a smaller sharper blade to process game

I just received my Dan Winkler knife, I went with the spike, I wanted something a little bigger to function as a knife and also be able to split wood. All I can say is the quality in the hand is more impressive than I was anticipating even after taking in to account all of the hype surrounding this brand.

For knives ESEE is a great brand to look into. Ill spare the details but a great all around bush craft knife with several options to meet your needs. Go on youtube and search bataaning with a large fixed blade knife. You will be amazed what you can accomplish for firewood processing that you may have previously thought you had to carry a heavy old hatchet for.

Muttly

WKR
For what it,s worth...
I,ve got a little Gransfors Bruks carpenters axe..don't use it a whole lot, never have carried it in a pack.
That little bugger shaves hair on your arm cleaner than a lot of knives.

jake1455

FNG
Knife and bring a lightweight saw instead of a hatchet IMO. Saw is wayyyy lighter and much easier to process wood with in my opinion. Faster, lighter, more efficient, and less energy used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Small hatchet, unless folding saw. I use a Knives of Alaska small hatchet, perfect for about everything, razer sharp and small enough to do trick work with.. But if I was planning on cutting a lot of firewood, go with folding saw. 1000% better.

I'm a bit of a busse and swam rat fan myself. I'd like to have a nice 3 or 4 inch blade and a small ax.

Mora Companion, Silky 210 saw , GB 410 hatchet, and a small ferro. All for just under 1 lb 9 oz.

AacJUlp.jpg

Oregonboy

WKR
I got a Kershaw TaskMaster folding saw at the KAI sales this weekend, it's 10.4 ounces but seems very durable. Excited to give it a try this spring.