Larger objects with atx - more clarity ?

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up an atx 65 as an upgrade to an ats 65 (that is a great scope and for sale in the classifieds btw)
I'm a minimalist and like the lighter weight of a 65, but I've been thinking about what exactly the larger objectives get you.
Obviously they bring in more light so they are brighter in low light.
Do you also get more clarity and sharpness?
Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
I have a 65 and a 115. The 115 let’s you see things for quite a while after it’s too dark for the 65. I can glass with my 15’s close to dark and switch to the 115 for a better look where I can’t see anything with the 65. I don’t see much more clarity but definitely better at distance.

It sucks in the backpack though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dryfly101

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 65 and a 115. The 115 let’s you see things for quite a while after it’s too dark for the 65. I can glass with my 15’s close to dark and switch to the 115 for a better look where I can’t see anything with the 65. I don’t see much more clarity but definitely better at distance.

It sucks in the backpack though.

Awesome info. It was me looking at a 115 in the classifieds that got me thinking about it. Anyone have the luxury of comparing any of the other sizes? Any other perspectives on the difference in optical clarity at different size objs?

tdot

WKR
I have the 95 and 65. I've used both on ounce counting sheep hunts and I'll be taking the 95 with me from now on. The 65 will be kept in the pack for those time where a spotter is not a necessity and it becomes harder to justify the 95. The 95 is brighter through out the day, not just dawn/dusk. It's better at looking into shadows and during overcast days. Sharper image out to the edge vs the 65. Digiscoping is probably the biggest improvement, the images are much more clear/bright with the 95.

My brother bought the 115 a couple months ago. It's amazing, but no way will it be on my back. It's ok if you're based off a truck, horses or an ATV. The additional distance in viewing that the 115 gives vs 95 isn't useful on foot IMO. Usually when I look through optics the differences are visible from 10 feet to infinity. The 95 stood up for the first couple of miles but really seemed to pull away from the 95 at roughly 4-5 miles. It seemed like a strange result, but maybe it was just the conditions for the 1 day we had to compare them.

tdot

WKR
@tdot what would you recommend if I already have the 65mm? I was pretty happy with mine for sheep hunting but I know it might be a dangerous endevour looking through a 95 or 115 after buying two pairs of NLs this year

It depends on what you're using it for. If backpacking with the scope, then the 95 is the easy answer. The 115 extends the useable range to a point that I dont find useful and it is crazy heavy and awkward. I'd also have to upgrade my tripod and head. The ATX/95 fits in my pack with enough room to spare to protect it with some clothes. The ATX/115 wouldn't fit in my pack accessory pockets and only in the center of the main bag, so it wasn't conducive to grabbing it for a quick peak.

The 115 for a vehicle supported hunt could be awesome. Use it close to the truck and then leave it. But personally I can't justify equipment for that type of hunt.

I'd be very curious to test an 85, if it could perform close to the 95, but with a size and weight closer to the 65, it may be a better compromise for mountain hunts. I also want to try the Kowa 88 against my 95. Its been years since I've looked through one and I have a feeling that it would be an even better combo of weight to performance then the ATX/85.

6.5x284

WKR
It depends on what you're using it for. If backpacking with the scope, then the 95 is the easy answer. The 115 extends the useable range to a point that I dont find useful and it is crazy heavy and awkward. I'd also have to upgrade my tripod and head. The ATX/95 fits in my pack with enough room to spare to protect it with some clothes. The ATX/115 wouldn't fit in my pack accessory pockets and only in the center of the main bag, so it wasn't conducive to grabbing it for a quick peak.

The 115 for a vehicle supported hunt could be awesome. Use it close to the truck and then leave it. But personally I can't justify equipment for that type of hunt.

I'd be very curious to test an 85, if it could perform close to the 95, but with a size and weight closer to the 65, it may be a better compromise for mountain hunts. I also want to try the Kowa 88 against my 95. Its been years since I've looked through one and I have a feeling that it would be an even better combo of weight to performance then the ATX/85.

I have the 85 and love it. I have actually read because the exit pupil is bigger on the 85 than the 95 and because it’s a 25x on the 85 vs 30x on the 95 for the min magnification range that the 85 is brighter on the lowest power at dusk. I’d love to do a side by side some day and see if it’s true. I’ve almost rented the 95 a few times to do it. I’m sure someday I will. I think for mountain hunts the 85 is hard to beat if a spotter is needed. But again, I’ve never been able to run them side by side.

fatrascal

WKR
Tdot, I truley admire you for carrying the 95mm. I personally would never pack it on backpack hunts and don't feel like I'm losing anything by packing the 65mm. Ive never done a side by side comparison between the 95mm and 65mm and it sounds like you have. Is there really that much of a difference of glassing time in the morning and late evening? Does it make a huge difference in seeable distance? I dont have a 95mm anymore but did get the 115mm and plan on comparing them but i only have one atx eyepiece and will have to change out back and forth during comparisons. Sometimes you lose exact comparison conditions as its getting dark. Fatrascal.

tdot

WKR
@fatrascal, I've attached two photos, taken with the same camera same digiscoping setup, same mountain, a year apart. The top photo with the single sheep was last year with an ATX/65, sunny day, lots of light, roughly 500 yards @ 25x zoom. The 2nd photo is the ATX/95, dark day w/low clouds just above the two Stone sheep in the photo, 475 yards w/ approx 32-35x zoom. I hope it shows up in the photo, but the 2nd picture, which should be darker based on the lighting of the day, and the zoom, has better clarity and brightness. The picture is also more in focus throughout the sight picture, vs the ATX/65 which the focus goes soft towards the outer portion of the picture. Now these images are not as good as just looking through the spotter, but it gives a relatively decent comparison between each other. It took me awhile to appreciate the image difference and a number of days switching back and forth. But once I noticed the difference, it was hard to unsee it.

I just looked at these photos on the forum post and the ATX/65 photo is better in real life. The 2 optics are closer in real life

The sheep I took this year, I took him on age, he was 8 and I would not have been able to count the rings as confidently without the ATX/95. That's a huge part of the reason that its earned it's place in my pack. If I was just counting tines or confirming male/female, I'd happily take the 65.

20200809_111759.jpg20210816_075950.jpg

Last edited:
OP
dryfly101

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, thanks for the detailed responses guys. The modularity of this system is cool, but also makes deciding on which components to go with tough. Hearing real world opinions and seeing comparison shots helps.