Laser/light combo on sidearm for woods carry

505Wapiti

WKR
Does anyone use a laser light combo on their sidearm when in the woods on backcountry hunting trip? I just picked up a Streamlight TLR-8 AG for my Glock 20. If so, any holster recommendations? I’ve had some late night pack out moments where I wished I’d had this in addition to headlamp and flashlight.

ElPollo

WKR
If you want a red dot, don’t get a laser. The reality that they only work in very limited circumstances when it comes to lighting. You just can’t depend on them. I have one that I use for dryfire practice to get visual feedback on my trigger press. You can’t see it in any kind of daylight, so I turn it off. I’m a strong believer in lights for pistols and I’m coming around on red dots on them, but not lasers.

OP
505Wapiti

505Wapiti

WKR
I have various Streamlights on my pistols. No lasers though. If I have enough light to see my target I can use my sights.
I don’t disagree with that. Have had lights on other weapons and just used the flashlight for years, but this is the first laser I’ve ever had. Just thought I would try it out. I mainly wanted the light at night, but I’m not too concerned about the laser either way.

OP
505Wapiti

505Wapiti

WKR
If you want a red dot, don’t get a laser. The reality that they only work in very limited circumstances when it comes to lighting. You just can’t depend on them. I have one that I use for dryfire practice to get visual feedback on my trigger press. You can’t see it in any kind of daylight, so I turn it off. I’m a strong believer in lights for pistols and I’m coming around on red dots on them, but not lasers.
Wasn’t looking for a red dot. I just wanted a light and came across the new TLR-8AG which has the green laser and 500 lumen light which is easier to see than the red. Bought mainly for the light and will play with the laser to see if I like it or not. My main question is if anyone has the TLR-8 on a Glock 20 and holster recommendations while they are hunting/hiking etc with a pack.

ElPollo

WKR
I have a TLR6. For the small guns, there are limited options available. The light on it kinda puny and won’t blind anyone, but it’s slim and unobtrusive. It also keeps NDA locks in tight with my index finger on my weak hand. Still wish it pumped out more light. I don’t really bother to turn the laser off because it doesn’t hugely affect battery life. I would avoid getting used to having it. If someone turns a bright light on, it can be hard to pick up. But like I said, it’s great for dryfire. The laser really shows any flaws you have.

Rokwiia

WKR
Wasn’t looking for a red dot. I just wanted a light and came across the new TLR-8AG which has the green laser and 500 lumen light which is easier to see than the red. Bought mainly for the light and will play with the laser to see if I like it or not. My main question is if anyone has the TLR-8 on a Glock 20 and holster recommendations while they are hunting/hiking etc with a pack.

Good luck. I have a Glock 40 MOS with a green laser on the rail. I can't find a holster anywhere. That said, there are holster companies that make custom holsters in kydex. I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that.

The only recommendation I have while having your pack is to carry your Glock 20 in a Hill People Gear chest pack. You wear it under your backpack and can draw it in a second. I always carry any firearm I'm carrying in the HPG chest pack.

I never enter the woods ever without my HPG chest pack and it is the single best piece of outdoor gear I've ever owned. If I decide to carry my Toklat (Ruger Super Redhawk), I can "dock" the chest pack to my regular backpack. That way, the chest pack becomes weightless even though in there is a 47oz firearm.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

Last edited:
OP
505Wapiti

505Wapiti

WKR
Good luck. I have a Glock 40 MOS with a green laser on the rail. I can't find a holster anywhere. That said, there are holster companies that make custom holsters in kydex. I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that.
I hear ya, was hoping to avoid that as well.