Lash rifle to pack or carry?

BuckSnort

WKR
How do y'all pack your rifle? ..Last few trips I have been able to sling mine with my internal pack, its not as comfy as without the pack on but I like to have it handy..Seems that when I have it lashed to my pack I jump a nice Buck on the pack in...How do you all do it?

littlebuf

Banned
if its dark on the way in i'll starp it to the pack.other wise i find myself carrying it.i dont even have a sling on any of my rifles.i may try the gun bearer out with my new timberline

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I purchased the universal gun bearer from Kifaru and use it on a sitka pack.......it works sweet!

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
I guess I need to try the gun bearer .. I read somewhere that it moves around a lot, don't know if that's the norm though?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I am weird but I just can't warm up to the gun bearer. It's more of a mental thing but I just can't like the barrel of my gun out in front of me like the. It's a great optioning if it works for a though.

Instead I carry my rifle on my pack like this:

IMGP0665.jpg

I can still quickly access it without getting my pack off. Don't have to holster/unholster when I want to take a sit down break and it's not in my field of view all day long. Just another option to consider.

OP
BuckSnort

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks for all the input folks... I was wondering about the movement of the rifle in the Gunbearer , seems like it can flop around and maybe hit ya in the head if you're scrambling through uneven cross country terrain..Guess i should just try one out..

Luke, that looks like a good system you have is that strap at the grip supporting the weight or is there something else at the butt?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about using the gunbearer with the bottom mounted to the belt, as designed, and the top on the pack itself, behind the shoulder. I thought it might work, and it would kind of fit like Luke's setup in the pic above.

Am I way off?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
All the weight is at the stock grip on the gun bearer the only reason the barrel is lashed via the pack compression straps is the plastic zip tie I had on my load lifter strap broke halfway hrough to 10 day hunt,needless to say, its a metal zip tie now wrapped in some e-tape to stop any metal/metal rubbing noises and the setup works like a champ for oth my wife and I.

B

bearguide

i like my weapon in my hand / i use it for a walking stick for balance and when in alaska for protection

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If I am actually actively hunting I will have my rifle in my hands often however it's many miles of approach before I even hike into where I am hunting. In such cases I would much prefer to have my hands free for the 10 mile jaunt than to needlessly lug to 6-8 pounds in my hands. I am not overly concerned about the bear behind every tree stigma so I dont feel the need to always have it in my hands then either. If a bear charges at close range anyways, unless you have one in the pipe already it ain't gonna do ya any good anyways, and I don't roll with one in the throat anyways, but that's another topic ;)

Here is a better pic of the rifle itch the barrel through the plastic zip tie on my packs load lifter strap pre breaking it.

IMGP0521.jpg