Last 3 sleeping bags western mountaineering vs stone glacier

I do not disagree with the statements about not being made in the USA for the SG Chilkoot. However, it is a very high quality bag and at some point everyone has a line they draw in the sand. For me I figured since all high end hunting clothes (KUIU, FL, Sitka, Kryptek etc) are all made overseas and continue to wear it my as well not overlook the sleeping bag either.

That's true. However, for just a little bit more you can get an American made bag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
SG obviously made a business decision, one that substantially lowers their cost per bag. That cost savings hasn't shown up on the consumer side. They are charging US prices for an offshore product. Free market says everyone is able to make their own purchase decisions. I keep my money home as much as I can.

I'd like to see all the manufacturers do like Gulch Gear. Not only is their camo sewn in the States, it's berry compliant on a lot of pieces, and they show you exactly how much it costs to have each item made here. I would love to see a breakdown like that amongst Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, SG and First Lite.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SG obviously made a business decision, one that substantially lowers their cost per bag. That cost savings hasn't shown up on the consumer side. They are charging US prices for an offshore product. Free market says everyone is able to make their own purchase decisions. I keep my money home as much as I can.

I'd like to see all the manufacturers do like Gulch Gear. Not only is their camo sewn in the States, it's berry compliant on a lot of pieces, and they show you exactly how much it costs to have each item made here. I would love to see a breakdown like that amongst Sitka, Kuiu, Kryptek, SG and First Lite.

I think the margins would make you sick. Looking at how much it costs Gulch to make their gear here, the competition has to have much higher margins. Add in the fact that gulch likely doesn’t order near the volume that the big boys do, so I’d imagine if Sitka decided to bring production stateside tomorrow their prices would be even lower due to volume.

If they’re going to take production overseas for cost savings, we should damn sure see some of that savings. I don’t think we are.

I think the margins would make you sick. Looking at how much it costs Gulch to make their gear here, the competition has to have much higher margins. Add in the fact that gulch likely doesn’t order near the volume that the big boys do, so I’d imagine if Sitka decided to bring production stateside tomorrow their prices would be even lower due to volume.

If they’re going to take production overseas for cost savings, we should damn sure see some of that savings. I don’t think we are.

I’m with you on this. I think quite a few of these companies pay hefty wages and sponsorships. To me, having this all done overseas does not support America. It’s high time they start prioritizing.

Western Mountaineering is assembled/sewn in USA; however, the nylon fabric comes from Asia. Again, this is as close as we can get to USA made since all nylon comes from Asia.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not all nylon comes from Asia. There's nylon still made in the states.

I've watched them demo product and they said they source from S Korea, but agree it's probably as close as you can get these days.

OP
TonySkyline
I can only imagine what the margins look like. I am a salesman for exterior install projects. Some things like windows carry a 28-52% margin while a 2x4 piece of PT lumber has a negative 5% margin. Then a stick of window/door casing has an 80% margin as well as nails. Screws, caulk, etc.. Its typically the add ons that have the highest margins while the main selling piece has around 30-40%. I'd imagine the American made stuff has a lower margin for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I can only imagine what the margins look like. I am a salesman for exterior install projects. Some things like windows carry a 28-52% margin while a 2x4 piece of PT lumber has a negative 5% margin. Then a stick of window/door casing has an 80% margin as well as nails. Screws, caulk, etc.. Its typically the add ons that have the highest margins while the main selling piece has around 30-40%. I'd imagine the American made stuff has a lower margin for sure.

That's what's interesting about Gulch Gear. They have it listed by each clothing item they make what it costs to produce it here. I think in just about any line of work the accessories are usually the highest margin items. I know on gun and archery equipment they certainly are.

cwhite

FNG
If you move a bunch when you sleep and don't need a 0 degree bag the Western Mountaineering Ponderosa has been great for me. I've slept at 15 degrees with no problem.

OP
TonySkyline
So I'm now looking at the WM kodiak which is a 0 degree bag. I've also added kuiu into the mix. Their has been lots of reviews comparing these and kuiu seems to win out alot.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion the two premier U.S. down sleeping bag manufacturers are Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends and have been for the last few decades......that's why these two brands are what all others are compared against.

OP
TonySkyline
Is the western mountaineering bags treated down or have some sort of water repellent like the SG & Kuiu? What is a comparable Feathered Friends bag in the 0* range? I've never heard of them until this thread (but I've never looked for a high quality bag either).

Voyageur

WKR
Is the western mountaineering bags treated down or have some sort of water repellent like the SG & Kuiu? What is a comparable Feathered Friends bag in the 0* range? I've never heard of them until this thread (but I've never looked for a high quality bag either).

Here is a reply to the treated down question from the WM FAQ page:
Why isn’t Western Mountaineering using hydrophobic down in any products?
"We have found in our own testing that the performance enhancements of hydrophobic treatments on high quality down are widely overstated. High quality untreated down already has naturally water repellant oils on it left by the geese (makes sense since geese spend a lot of time in water). These oils help repel water and keep down lofted. More importantly is that these oils last indefinitely. Hydrophobic treatments wash out like a DWR and remove the natural oils during the application process. Because of this, and the water resistant capability of our shell fabrics, we feel that hydrophobic down does not provide a considerable impact on performance and could actually inhibit performance over the lifetime of our products."
Hope this helps.

OP
TonySkyline
Oh wow. Thank you for that. Makes total sense. Damn it, now I'm back to the SG, WM Kodiak, and Kuiu. I like the looks of the kuiu and SG but looks wont help me sleeping in the cold, lol. I also like American made products, especially in a time like now. I'm ordering the last of my clothing today. I just ordered my tent and went with a lightweight 1 man trekking pole design through drop (formerly mass drop). Ordered that over the Sierra designs convert 2 4 season tent. I hope it can withstand the Montana wind. I literally just cut 3- 4lbs or so right there so I want the sleeping bag decision to be 100% the best for what I need even if it is slightly heavier than the comparison bags. This will definitely be the most important piece of gear since I sleep like sh!t. I did order the nemo alpine light sleeping pad which has very high ratings and reviews. I will be bringing OR tradecraft puffy pants and sitka kelvin lite jacket along with base layers to sleep in as needed.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
Badger all the way. Its wide enough for side sleeping and the 2 way zipper lets you ventilate the footbox if you get to warm. Easily the best purchase for western hunting ive made. Slept in it 5 nights in a row inside a canvas tent temps were low teens i was wearing shorts and t-shirt and slept very comfortable

OP
TonySkyline
I was thinking badger at first due to such a positive overall rating and reviews from people. However I'm looking at more of a 0* bag to cover more late fall/winter weather temps. I'm a cold sleeper and others have recommended the kodiak which looks quite similar to the badger but colder temp rating.

Voyageur

WKR
I was thinking badger at first due to such a positive overall rating and reviews from people. However I'm looking at more of a 0* bag to cover more late fall/winter weather temps. I'm a cold sleeper and others have recommended the kodiak which looks quite similar to the badger but colder temp rating.

That was my reasoning as well when deciding between the Badger and Kodiak