Last 3 sleeping bags western mountaineering vs stone glacier

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The gore windstooper seems like complete overkill unless you are sleeping out in the open on a regular basis, my friends that had the windstooper versions have all sold them because they hold in more moisture. I’ve had my micro fiber badger out during moose season when there was a hole in the shelter that dropped into a puddle and splashed me all night, the bag didn’t soak through.

I have the WM GWS Seqouia Long with free overfill from Hermits Hut. I’ve been in -5 F in that bag and been plenty comfy with the right sleeping pad and some mid weight base layers (first lite kiln top and bottoms). Also merino socks and merino beanie on. Perfect nights sleep that night and wasn’t cold once.

The Seqouia is great since I’m a side/stomach sleeper. It is their “semi-rec” cut instead of the more restrictive mummy cuts from most companies.

Love my new Sequoia for my cold bag. If I was going to do it over instead of the Sycamore I would probably get the Ponderosa MF as my mid weight. Sycamore is a little tight in the shoulders and footbox, but still great in the knees.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The gore windstooper seems like complete overkill unless you are sleeping out in the open on a regular basis, my friends that had the windstooper versions have all sold them because they hold in more moisture. I’ve had my micro fiber badger out during moose season when there was a hole in the shelter that dropped into a puddle and splashed me all night, the bag didn’t soak through.

I do a lot of non hunting backpacking in the off seasons. Tyvek sheet on the ground and another backup sheet to use as a shelter if it rains or snows.

And yes it holds moisture IF you can get it to actually soak through. Or if you’re a hot sleeper and end up with some moisture in the bag from body heat. Then just use WMs hot sac VBL and you’re fine. Havent managed to come close to wetting either of my WM GWS bags yet in some really nasty PCT and John Muir storms. The MF soaks through way easier than the GWS. Also I camp in some extremely high wind areas where the wind cuts right through the MF.

The GWS is not overkill at all, it just depends on the application like you mentioned.

I do a lot of non hunting backpacking in the off seasons. Tyvek sheet on the ground and another backup sheet to use as a shelter if it rains or snows.

And yes it holds moisture IF you can get it to actually soak through. Or if you’re a hot sleeper and end up with some moisture in the bag from body heat. Then just use WMs hot sac VBL and you’re fine. Havent managed to come close to wetting either of my WM GWS bags yet in some really nasty PCT and John Muir storms. The MF soaks through way easier than the GWS. Also I camp in some extremely high wind areas where the wind cuts right through the MF.

The GWS is not overkill at all, it just depends on the application like you mentioned.

You sound like the ideal person who can really make good use of the GWS fabric. And you are not the first who has said they breath just fine. If I was a bivy cowboy camper who used a tarp in bad weather I would have seriously considered the GWS.

Aside from the 1Shot guys who have obvious reasons for preferring the Stone Glacier, I'll be one of the first people to say I actually prefer the SG bags over FF and especially WM. I have had multiple WM and FF bags within the last 5 years and got rid of them all for the SG. Here are my worthless opinions on the bags I have had that I think are most comparable:

WM Badger: Great construction quality as always with WM, easily running zipper one-handed, prefer the feel of the Microfiber over their Extremlite nylons. But I honestly didn't like the hood design, I just struggled to get it to be uniformly tight when I needed to keep cold drafts out.

FF Swift YF 20: Same great construction as the Badger, better hood design, IMO. I prefer the Pertex YF fabric to any of WM's offerings, easily operated zipper. But for me, the deal-breaker was lack of a draft collar. For >20-degree bags in warmer weather, a draft collar isn't really necessary but once the temps drop below 20, I really want a draft collar

SG Chilkoot 15: Uses the Pertex YF fabric I prefer, I'm 6'1", 190 so the cut is about perfect for me, the magnetic draft collar is easy to operate in the dark and snaps together with magnets, I'm a very warm sleeper so I can run this bag any time of the year in the lower 48. Cons: Its made overseas, I personally think treated down is a joke and we're kidding ourselves to think it makes any real-world difference compared to high quality non-treated down. If you're that worried about wetting out the bag, just get a synthetic.

CO-AJ

WKR
Versalite is my vote. I bought mine from Hermits Hut and it is phenomenal. I agree with other posts on here that the 3oz of overfill will at best get you 3-5 degrees, but it does help keep the down where you want it. 2 other easy ways to increase warmth and comfort is first get a great pad, Exped is my fav and second throw a liner in the bag. I will say the Versalite is very light and compressible but the tradeoff is the outer shell is pretty thin. If you are hard on gear or just stuff it into the pack not in a storage sack or cowboy camp and just throw it on the ground I would go with the Badger. If however you are meticulous with gear after spending $$$$ on a bag I would go with the Versalite.

OP
TonySkyline
I have eliminated the SG at this point due to how long they are. I am leaning towards the WM Kodiak and just found someone on here to purchase from. If he matches Hermits Huts overfill it is a done deal. Just not sure to go with the Gore or without? Probably extra $150 which seems crazy to me. But if it really is better, buy once cry once is my mentality with this bag. Still considering the Kuiu but I read that the ratings are not the same as WM so Im leaning towards WM big time and ready to order soon.

I wondered if anyone would mention the WM Sequoia, and specifically the GWS version. Years ago I sold every down bag I owned and dumped the money into a new Sequoia GWS with overfill. At the time WM added enough ounces of down to bring the temp rating to zero per their eval. I wanted GWS in case of a shelter failure or need to sleep outside. I wanted GWS as a more durable and spill-proof fabric because I prepare food and eat in my tent. I got that bag many years ago and it is still THE finest cold weather bag I’ve ever owned. I wouldn’t even hesitate if it was lost....I’d buy the exact same bag instantly again. I haven’t been below zero in it but I’ve put in a lot of cold nights in eastern Alaska and have never felt cold....period. It’s a beast for its loft. It’s just roomy enough not to feel tight for my square shoulders.

And to the OP: There is definitely a point where you can simply drive yourself mad picking little nits in an attempt to get the ideal bag. I’ve done that with gear and it almost always ends up with the dog chasing its tail. My advice is jump off the merry go round and get the bag your brain tells you is a great choice.

OP
TonySkyline
I wondered if anyone would mention the WM Sequoia, and specifically the GWS version. Years ago I sold every down bag I owned and dumped the money into a new Sequoia GWS with overfill. At the time WM added enough ounces of down to bring the temp rating to zero per their eval. I wanted GWS in case of a shelter failure or need to sleep outside. I wanted GWS as a more durable and spill-proof fabric because I prepare food and eat in my tent. I got that bag many years ago and it is still THE finest cold weather bag I’ve ever owned. I wouldn’t even hesitate if it was lost....I’d buy the exact same bag instantly again. I haven’t been below zero in it but I’ve put in a lot of cold nights in eastern Alaska and have never felt cold....period. It’s a beast for its loft. It’s just roomy enough not to feel tight for my square shoulders.

And to the OP: There is definitely a point where you can simply drive yourself mad picking little nits in an attempt to get the ideal bag. I’ve done that with gear and it almost always ends up with the dog chasing its tail. My advice is jump off the merry go round and get the bag your brain tells you is a great choice.
Thanks bud. That's all I needed to hear. I'll make a decision this Sunday and I'm going with Western mountaineering for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I’m also in the same boat needing to buy a sleeping bag ASAP! But have been indecisive on which one. To complicate it a little I am lucky to qualify for the guide discount for Stone Glacier. WM doesn’t discount as far as I know?

but that makes the following Aprox price-
WM badger mf -$600 2lb 8oz
SG chilkoot 15- $440 2lb 3oz
Rei magna 15. $380 1lb 12oz

This is for AK mountain hunts in Aug/September. I’m 5”11 185. I had an rei 15 Magna that a bear shredded last year.. but it looks like it’s still the best value.

which do you recommend?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

Echoing this right here. The Seqouia GWS with overfill is an absolute bombproof bag that can handle nasty weather, wind, and I’ve been in it below zero with a good sleeping pad and base layers on many times. The sequoia with overfill is a legit zero degree bag no question.

I also have its little brother in the Sycamore model which is also there semi-rec cut design. This is also the overfilled version and is a legit 20 degree bag for me.

WM badger mf -$600 2lb 8oz
SG chilkoot 15- $440 2lb 3oz
Rei magna 15. $380 1lb 12oz

This is for AK mountain hunts in Aug/September.

which do you recommend?

Those 3 bags are all good ones but have some marked differences.

The REI bag is much closer to a true mummy shape. Very efficient to heat but has the least amount of room within. REI doesn't provide actual loft measurements. Water-resistant down is claimed. Imported.

The WM Badger is the roomiest of the 3 while retaining a modified mummy shape. Bigger in the shoulder and hip areas. 6" of measure loft is very good. Comes in 4 different lengths with corresponding girth numbers. American built.

SG Chilkoot looks like it has fairly wide shoulder area and then a rather sharp taper to the foot box. It uses HyperDRY down which may or may not offer any benefit in reality. One length only. Appears to use 90/10 goose/duck down. Imported?

I don't see a unanimous winner there. I know which one I would choose but my rationale shouldn't be yours.

Echoing this right here. The Seqouia GWS with overfill is an absolute bombproof bag that can handle nasty weather, wind, and I’ve been in it below zero with a good sleeping pad and base layers on many times. The sequoia with overfill is a legit zero degree bag no question.

I also have its little brother in the Sycamore model which is also there semi-rec cut design. This is also the overfilled version and is a legit 20 degree bag for me.

I have those same bags. Excellent combo. With the open baffles you can move literally all the Loft to the top of the bag and stay warm in the coldest weather. Then when it warms up you can move the Loft to the bottom of the bag and make it a cooler bag by at least 20 degrees.

I also have a MLD Apex quilt that can combined for overlapping temperatures.