Last 3 sleeping bags western mountaineering vs stone glacier

Hello, I am trying to pick out a good sleeping bag for western rifle hunts. I sleep like $hit in my own bed so this is a huge huge deal to me. I am currently down to 3 bags.
Stone glacier chilkoot 0* bag
Western mountaineering badger
Western mountaineering versalite
Hermits hut has free overfill which gives you an extra 8-10* more making the versalite sound like the lightest and most comfortable option. Any thoughts from anyone that has tried any of the 3? I love stone glacier stuff but recently heard that the bags are not made in the USA like the back packs and frames are...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hello, I am trying to pick out a good sleeping bag for western rifle hunts. I sleep like $hit in my own bed so this is a huge huge deal to me. I am currently down to 3 bags.
Stone glacier chilkoot 0* bag
Western mountaineering badger
Western mountaineering versalite
Hermits hut has free overfill which gives you an extra 8-10* more making the versalite sound like the lightest and most comfortable option. Any thoughts from anyone that has tried any of the 3? I love stone glacier stuff but recently heard that the bags are not made in the USA like the back packs and frames are...

That overfill isn't going to add 8-10 degrees to any of the WM ratings, that's just wishful thinking. It'll boost it a couple of degrees but comes in more to play with mitigating down shift and eliminating any thin spots from down moving around. Only thing that boosts temperature ratings that much is going to be increasing loft. Higher loft =warmer bag. The Badger has a more durable shell and more room inside the bag, the Versalite definitely feels smaller especially through the foot box. You have 3 different temp rated bags on your list, big difference on what I would recommend because a true 0 degree bag is way more specialized than a 15 degree bag that can be used more easily in shoulder season type weather.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would say the Badger. I also would say the overfill is BS. Western Mountaineering bags are naturally overfilled. The desire for overfill is mostly based on the fact that the bulk of bags made could use some overfill to get to their ratings.

Here is why WM does not need overfill.
Most manufacturers take the down they buy say 850 down .. and they calculate the volume needed of that. The problem is 850 fill down is 850 in perfect conditions. WM , states their down is 850 because that is what they use to calculate it but in realty they buy the best down they can get which is closer to 950. So by using 850 to calculate the fill but stuffing it with 950 .. in essence you have a 12 percent overfill.

sneaky

"DADDY"
WM also says on their own site that overfill adds at best 3-5 degrees and is more for active sleepers shifting down around than for warmth increases. Hermits Hut is using 8-10 as a marketing ploy.

OP
TonySkyline
I'm getting the rating difference from Hermits Hut website. I honestly don't know much about this stuff as I typically camp in the summer so take it easy on me fellas, lol. The Badger is heavier than the versalite. I've watched a ton of content and the consensus is that it's worth it. It also cost a bit more. It doesn't show the true temp ratings on Hermits website but I'm going through that site because its supposedly the only place that will actually put extra fill in the Western Mountaineering bags as the company will not do it directly to consumer I've read. The versalite is honestly the bag I was leaning towards but price aside, I want whatever I get to last a decade or more. I will be using it only a couple times a year/every other year to go out west. I go by the "buy once, cry once" saying. I would spend the extra money IF it is actually worth it. I've learned a hard lesson over the years that most of the latest and greatest sh^t is just that. $hit. Its usually a small change and a gimmick so I don't want to fall back into that. Thoughts on the SG?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Any WM dealer can get you an overfilled bag from WM if you still want that option. Several Rokslide sponsors are WM dealers, as well as SG dealers.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm getting the rating difference from Hermits Hut website. I honestly don't know much about this stuff as I typically camp in the summer so take it easy on me fellas, lol. The Badger is heavier than the versalite. I've watched a ton of content and the consensus is that it's worth it. It also cost a bit more. It doesn't show the true temp ratings on Hermits website but I'm going through that site because its supposedly the only place that will actually put extra fill in the Western Mountaineering bags as the company will not do it directly to consumer I've read. The versalite is honestly the bag I was leaning towards but price aside, I want whatever I get to last a decade or more. I will be using it only a couple times a year/every other year to go out west. I go by the "buy once, cry once" saying. I would spend the extra money IF it is actually worth it. I've learned a hard lesson over the years that most of the latest and greatest sh^t is just that. $hit. Its usually a small change and a gimmick so I don't want to fall back into that. Thoughts on the SG?

Nothing wrong with the Versalite if you are small / average framed. If you are not, it will be a little colder due to compression. However, a lot of people like the Badger because it is large enough to throw extra clothes on or in and it is more waterproof and breathable. However, if the Versalite fits, its a solid bag.

As for pricing, WM is strict on MAP. Companies are only doing deals if they have some sort of work around or use a gimmick.

dont mean to hijack but im also looking at the same bags. Picking out a bag is a rabbit hole. started looking at the versalite but now consdiering the badger or the kodiak. just because im concerned about the shoulder width (6'6" 250).

Has anyone used either the badger or the kodiak as a do-it all bag? Trying to decide if it would be better just to spring for the kodiak and be covered for colder temps, and during early/mid september just unzip. The badger with the overfill is only like 3 or 4oz less than a kodiak.

C Bow

WKR
Badger is a great bag I do not like the gore series as the one I had did not breathe well another great bag is Feathered Friend's I am taking a Nunatak with me this year to Alaska I have wide shoulders and the badger is wide enough for me

Last edited:

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with either of the two Western Mountaineering bags and have used the Versalite for a quite a few years. In my opinion Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Valandre are the best constructed/attention to detail sleeping bags.
I personally have not handled or seen a Stone Glacier Bag so cannot comment on their overall quality....but as I'm vertically challenged at 5'5" the Stone Glacier Bag's one size fits up to 6'5" would be a definite deal breaker as it would have too much wasted space in the footbox making it less thermally efficient for me.....though if you're over 6' this would be a non-issue.

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with either of the two Western Mountaineering bags and have used the Versalite for a quite a few years. In my opinion Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Valandre are the best constructed/attention to detail sleeping bags.

This. I've used a Versalite for many years now and bought my daughter a Feathered Friends bag that is also very high quality. I've always wanted to try the Valandre bags as well. I'm a bit of a warm sleeper, but I've always felt that WM is conservative with their temp ratings.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A lot of people use the badger or alpenlite as a one and done . Kodiak is solid of teens are realistic .

FF are good bags , I like the shells on WM a bit better and they seem to have a bit tighter fill IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people use the badger or alpenlite as a one and done . Kodiak is solid of teens are realistic .

FF are good bags , I like the shells on WM a bit better and they seem to have a bit tighter fill IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin, you like the extremlite fabric better than the 15 or 20D petex? The extremlite is 12d whats your opinion for using this series of bags (Alpinelite) in hunting conditions?

Voyageur

WKR
dont mean to hijack but im also looking at the same bags. Picking out a bag is a rabbit hole. started looking at the versalite but now consdiering the badger or the kodiak. just because im concerned about the shoulder width (6'6" 250).

Has anyone used either the badger or the kodiak as a do-it all bag? Trying to decide if it would be better just to spring for the kodiak and be covered for colder temps, and during early/mid september just unzip. The badger with the overfill is only like 3 or 4oz less than a kodiak.
Curious about this same thing as well. Any more thoughts on this?

OP
TonySkyline
I am 5'8" so the versalite should be ok... on the other hand, if the fabric is not as good as the badger then I'd rather have the badger. I want one bag to last a long time. I already have an early season bag that is super lightweight and comfy. I want this thing to be a tank and waterproof if possible. Is the badger just as waterproof as the stone glacier?