Last 3 sleeping bags western mountaineering vs stone glacier

Schism

WKR
The GWS outer of the WM bags is the most water resistant outer material they use on any of their bags. However, I'm not familiar with how it compares to the Stone Glacier outer material.

I am 5'8" so the versalite should be ok... on the other hand, if the fabric is not as good as the badger then I'd rather have the badger. I want one bag to last a long time. I already have an early season bag that is super lightweight and comfy. I want this thing to be a tank and waterproof if possible. Is the badger just as waterproof as the stone glacier?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The badger has a 20d microfiber polyester filament tight weave which makes it highly water and wind resistant but very breathable. The Chilkoot uses a 15d pertex which is uses a nylon filament. In general polyester is more hydrophilic than nylon. Now with that said, I have not done any side by side testing, but I have personally tested the 15d pertex and it is much more water resistant than I expected. I would not hesitate to use it in foul weather.

Based off specs alone I probably would give the nod to the badger's face fabric being slightly more durable and water resistant.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kevin, you like the extremlite fabric better than the 15 or 20D petex? The extremlite is 12d whats your opinion for using this series of bags (Alpinelite) in hunting conditions?
I like the microfiber as on the Kodiak / Badger the best. However, I think the 12D used on Alpinlite is fine and probably a bit better than the pertex I had on my FF bag. The 7D on the astralite is impressive for a 7D .

All in all, if I could choose one bag to sleep in and not worry about carrying it up a steep mountain side it would be a Microfiber one. When I factor in the other stuff, sometimes the other bags win. I use a Terralite a fair amount as well.

warrbuk

WKR
I have a WM Megalite and a Kodiak.
Top of the line bags and a solid investment. I have slept in the megalite right at its temp rating and have been fine with it closed up around me. Sounds like you may want a real nice sleeping pad if you don’t sleep well. Big Agnes has a nice one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turley

Lil-Rokslider
"All in all, if I could choose one bag to sleep in and not worry about carrying it up a steep mountain side it would be a Microfiber one."

^^^ Definitely agree.

hikenhunt

WKR
WM is top notch in quality and accurate in temp ratings. I have owned two of their bags and have been very impressed by both.

Whichever bag you choose, you'll want a well insulated pad to go with it in order to get the full potential out of the bag.

Gznokes

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Western Mountaineering Kodiak. It is rate to zero and the Badger is rated to 15. If you need 15 degrees you might as well have zero. The difference is 6 oz of weight.

akrdkill

WKR
I have a kodiak & a badger.....got the badger for the wife & like most women if they even think they might get cold your in for it....so far good although coldest temp only been down in low 30's for her but damp weather.....the micro fiber fabric is definitely plenty & I wouldn't go with the GWS unless you plan to always use your bag outside, the GWS adds weight & doesn't compress as well

OP
TonySkyline
I highly doubt I'll ever use it without a shelter or tent over me. Is the SG in the same ballpark as Western mountaineering bags? Seems like the hardcore hikers and mountaineers use the WM bags and not many people outside of hunting use Stone glacier although I personally love the product but am also new to it so far and have never seen either of the bags in person. Thank you guys for the info so far.

I highly doubt I'll ever use it without a shelter or tent over me. Is the SG in the same ballpark as Western mountaineering bags? Seems like the hardcore hikers and mountaineers use the WM bags and not many people outside of hunting use Stone glacier although I personally love the product but am also new to it so far and have never seen either of the bags in person. Thank you guys for the info so far.

Put it this way I've owned WM and the chilkoot 15 and sold my chilkoot at the beginning of the year. Bad decision. I am currently going back and forth between feathered friends, SG, and WM. i'm 95% going back to the chilkoot. Its a high quality bag. Even though the jury is still out on long term results of the treated down, I do think it has some advantages, mainly it will dry faster if wet. The hood on the chilkoot is better for real cold conditions. the magnetic baffle closure around the neck is awesome. Its also a few ounces lighter than the WM badger which is always a bonus.

OP
TonySkyline
Thanks fins, I've got it narrowed down to the chilkoot and badger now. Wish I could afford to get both and just give the other to my 15 year old son who will coming with me in a few years. Maybe I'll get one this year and one next year. I'm a salesman and sell siding, decking, fencing, windows, etc... Their is things such as composite decking that is so pricey, people just don't expect it. Sleeping bags is that thing I never thought would be this much.... for quality ones anyway. At this point I'm done with cheap stuff. I'd rather save and get stuff that is gonna last. Ya get what ya pay for most the time. If their is a sale on one or the other from now until August that may sway me. I'm buying plane tix this week then tent and sleeping bag and boots. The tent will be a whole other thread, lol. I love it though and everyone on this forum has been amazing. Cant thank you guys enough.

C Bow

WKR
If you have broad shoulders do yourself a favor and get the WM first unless you like it real snug

OP
TonySkyline
The made in USA is a big selling point for me on the WM bags and the Feathered Friends. The past few months have really driven that point home on a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I totally agree. I was super surprised to see that SG has their sleeping bags made over seas. Not cool. Anyone ever try sierra designs bags by chance?

jt4

WKR
In all fairness, the SG bag was really nice. There’s a couple features that I liked, and I’ve said before....had it been made in the US I would have kept it. For anyone stretching their budget to get the best bag possible I have no doubt this would be a hell of an option.

If they can manufacture the bags here and keep the price point somewhat close to the same, I’ll buy the 0* no doubt.

In all fairness, the SG bag was really nice. There’s a couple features that I liked, and I’ve said before....had it been made in the US I would have kept it. For anyone stretching their budget to get the best bag possible I have no doubt this would be a hell of an option.

If they can manufacture the bags here and keep the price point somewhat close to the same, I’ll buy the 0* no doubt.

Being that WM and FF produce like quality bags stateside for like prices, I don’t see why SG isn’t doing it.

To OP - gonna suggest the WM bags over the SG bag for this reason alone. Not a hater(have an SG pack), just dont see the reason to pay a premium for an imported product.

1shotgear will support and push SG due to them selling it. I'm sure the mark up on the SG bag is fairly substantial due to it being made in China (I'm assuming its substantial). Not positive on the markup with WM or FF but buying American made product is very important to me and it should be for others as well. If SG could make their product in America, then they would see more being sold.

three5x5s

WKR
You cant go wrong with either WM or FF, Just make sure to mach your pad to your bag for the weather. The two work together. For cold weather I had a Exped downmat 9, little heavy, but warm and comfy.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t agree more with the previous post.
It amazes me how many complain of being chilled at temps well above a high quality bag rating only to see they are using a low r rated ultra light pad with a 10 degree or such bag. They are probably chilled/cold from ground temperature through the pad versus air temperature.
A pad and bag definitely work as a system.

Last edited:
I do not disagree with the statements about not being made in the USA for the SG Chilkoot. However, it is a very high quality bag and at some point everyone has a line they draw in the sand. For me I figured since all high end hunting clothes (KUIU, FL, Sitka, Kryptek etc) are all made overseas and continue to wear it my as well not overlook the sleeping bag either.