Last Call on Boots!

Hi RS guys!

I know it has been beaten to death but there are so many opinions and I am trying to sift through locations and what works best for footwear on the Brooks Range North Slope.

My packs are pretty loaded already with gear so space on the commercial flights is already limited.

1. I was leaning on my danners with gators and a pair of hip waders. Plus would be I can wear my danners on the commercial flight. Minus seems that guys are all for some sort of rubber up to the knees at least.

2. Muck boots and hip waders. Minus is that I will not be able to escape the rubber boots all week and I do not want to wear muck boots on the commercial flight.

3. Muck boots and crocs for around camp? Seems light but would do the trick for warmth, dryness, and camp comfort?

4. Better options from the savvy guys who have been there and done it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi RS guys!

I know it has been beaten to death but there are so many opinions and I am trying to sift through locations and what works best for footwear on the Brooks Range North Slope.

My packs are pretty loaded already with gear so space on the commercial flights is already limited.

1. I was leaning on my danners with gators and a pair of hip waders. Plus would be I can wear my danners on the commercial flight. Minus seems that guys are all for some sort of rubber up to the knees at least.

2. Muck boots and hip waders. Minus is that I will not be able to escape the rubber boots all week and I do not want to wear muck boots on the commercial flight.

3. Muck boots and crocs for around camp? Seems light but would do the trick for warmth, dryness, and camp comfort?

4. Better options from the savvy guys who have been there and done it!

WHY not wear Mucks on the flight ? Mucks are pretty darn nice "lounging" footwear when it's chilly too
The last trip up to AK as a last thought packing I threw in a pair of Cabela's light weight sock feet waders, nothing special in any way, wore them every day and was never uncomfortable one time, learned somethin' (which is always a good thing)

OP
Lv2hntnfsh
WHY not wear Mucks on the flight ? Mucks are pretty darn nice "lounging" footwear when it's chilly too
The last trip up to AK as a last thought packing I threw in a pair of Cabela's light weight sock feet waders, nothing special in any way, wore them every day and was never uncomfortable one time, learned somethin' (which is always a good thing)

The 1200 gram thinsulate was the main thing on my mind. Still an option I suppose.

Waders crossed my mind but the weight and space shut it out quickly. Maybe it is the duck hunting versions that I am used to throwing my perception off?

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I wore Meindels on my flight and on the slope. Packed a pair of crocs for camp shoes and had a pair of hip boots in my pack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

The 1200 gram thinsulate was the main thing on my mind. Still an option I suppose.

Waders crossed my mind but the weight and space shut it out quickly. Maybe it is the duck hunting versions that I am used to throwing my perception off?

I would say that is probably correct - still have those waders, they roll up into the size of the wife's collared sweatshirt at most

Keitha63

FNG
I am headed there on 8/22, please let me know what you end up doing. I am wondering the same thing. Right now I am planning on my water proof Oboz hikers with gaters but also taking muck boots and crocs for the camp.

By the way good luck! Hope to see pictures!

mcseal2

WKR
Right now I am leaning toward taking my Simms G3 wading boots and a pair of Chota tundra hippies. Also wearing my Kennetreks to AK and having them plus gaiters. If space allows I will take my Tingley ultralight rubber boots also for camp shoes. I cut the rubber boots down to a shorter and lighter lengh, the pair is 20oz.

I am buying a pair of arctic shield boot insulators too to try this year on long cold sits. They might make it in place of something if they are great. Footwear is the hardest gear choice on this hunt for me.

Got the advice before my moose hunt to take lotrimin and treat my feet daily to prevent issues in the damp climate. I did and had no issues so I will again. I am not sure it was necessary but it sure didnt hurt.

Last edited:

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
I am headed up this Friday and am doing Mucks with Crocs at camp. This is what I have done on previous Caribou trips to the North Slope and really only had one incident where I underestimated the depth of a puddle and went over Mucks. Haven't needed waders on any trips, but haven't crossed any real deep rivers either

I wore hiking boots this past weekend, it was just fine. Decided that if I got wet, I got wet... no big deal. Mucks would have been fine as well. Great weather, no bugs. Good luck!

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
I wore hiking boots this past weekend, it was just fine. Decided that if I got wet, I got wet... no big deal. Mucks would have been fine as well. Great weather, no bugs. Good luck!
Any luck?

OP
Lv2hntnfsh
We are headed out today-- my final decision was to go with my Danners and gaiters, and then I packed a pair of hip boots. After I weighted everything I still had room for my crocs :p. See you guys on the flip side with some good stories hopefully! Good luck to everyone else headed out.

OP
Lv2hntnfsh
Just a follow-up with how the boots went on the trip--

We lived in our hip waders, it would have been a mistake not to bring them. We went cheap and they were breaking down on the last day so next time I would put a little more money into them and probably get socks with nice shoes. Some support would have been nice over the rubber boots, it was super nice to get out of them (and into crocs or danners) at meal time and at night.

What I would still need to figure out is how to keep dry from the sweat inside of the boots- if it were colder or more rainy we would have been in trouble as far as dry socks and pants. Maybe we were out of the norm but we put on an average of 8 miles per day. I am not sure you would get away from the sweat no matter how expensive you go (my experience from waterfowl hunting).

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Just a follow-up with how the boots went on the trip--

We lived in our hip waders, it would have been a mistake not to bring them. We went cheap and they were breaking down on the last day so next time I would put a little more money into them and probably get socks with nice shoes. Some support would have been nice over the rubber boots, it was super nice to get out of them (and into crocs or danners) at meal time and at night.

What I would still need to figure out is how to keep dry from the sweat inside of the boots- if it were colder or more rainy we would have been in trouble as far as dry socks and pants. Maybe we were out of the norm but we put on an average of 8 miles per day. I am not sure you would get away from the sweat no matter how expensive you go (my experience from waterfowl hunting).
Polypropylene sock liners did the trick for me. My feet sweat and those liners pull moisture off feet and into the sock. Good merino sock will dry over night from perspiration. I've also heard, spraying feet with antiperspirant works too, but haven't tried it yet.

How did you guys do? I'm currently sitting in a water hole blind in west Nebraska waiting on pronghorn

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk