Last Day Bull

Hi All, new poster here, but long time reader. I thought I would start a "Last Day Bull" thread. Post a pic of your bull you got on either the last day of your hunt or the last day of the season.

To start, I shot this bull last day of the general hunt in Idaho. Rifle was Tikka T3X in 308 win, 150gr Federal Trophy Copper. 100 yards.

A string of elk were coming up over a rise. As soon as this one stepped into view I took the shot. Right after I shot a big 6pt ran out right behind him. If I had just weighted 5 more seconds he would have crossed right out in front of me. In fact, he may have actually already stepped into view when I took my bull, but I was so focused and zoomed in on the scope I didn't see him. Oh well, glad to get one on the last day of 6 days of hunting.
IMG_20201021_084424293.jpg

Never pass on a shot for a better one...that’s my motto as of October 3rd. I passed on a spike thinking I had 4 more weeks. Last opportunity I’ve had. Now I wish I’d shot him and not had to walk the grind hoping to spot one and freezing my ass off.

that is a Terrific bull! Great job not giving up.

ChrisAU

WKR
Last day of 1st rifle last year. Thought I was about to wrap up my 2nd elk hunt having never seen an elk at all. Moral of the story is don’t get discouraged and hunt every second you can, it only takes one.

GxTdYXf.jpg

Jbehredt

WKR
Nice work! Did you by chance recover that bullet? I put two clean through a cow this year. Was hoping to recover one as it was my first kill with a mono bullet.

OP
Wapitiaddict
Never pass on a shot for a better one...that’s my motto as of October 3rd. I passed on a spike thinking I had 4 more weeks. Last opportunity I’ve had. Now I wish I’d shot him and not had to walk the grind hoping to spot one and freezing my ass off.

that is a Terrific bull! Great job not giving up.
Yeah, this was my first chance at a bull in 6 days of hard hunting. Don't regret it at all.

Nice work! Did you by chance recover that bullet? I put two clean through a cow this year. Was hoping to recover one as it was my first kill with a mono bullet.
No. I one bullet passed through and the other I think stopped inside the chest cavity. I do the gutless method so never did look for it. I was hoping to find one under the hide on the offside, but bull down is all that matters

OP
Wapitiaddict
Last day of 1st rifle last year. Thought I was about to wrap up my 2nd elk hunt having never seen an elk at all. Moral of the story is don’t get discouraged and hunt every second you can, it only takes one.

GxTdYXf.jpg

Wow! One heck of a reward for two years of hard hunting. It's amazing how fast a hunt can change from the worst to the best ever.

willy

FNG
Congrats on your dandy last day bull. One of my most favorite memories so far from elk hunting is my last day bull, 2 min before end of legal. I went from 100% sure no shot opp this hunt/elk tag punched 10 minutes earlier to a good 6x5 bull at last minute.

Elk hunting memories are awesome and will sustain you until the next elk hunt. Enjoy the great meals the bull will give.

Hi All, new poster here, but long time reader. I thought I would start a "Last Day Bull" thread. Post a pic of your bull you got on either the last day of your hunt or the last day of the season.

To start, I shot this bull last day of the general hunt in Idaho. Rifle was Tikka T3X in 308 win, 150gr Federal Trophy Copper. 100 yards.

A string of elk were coming up over a rise. As soon as this one stepped into view I took the shot. Right after I shot a big 6pt ran out right behind him. If I had just weighted 5 more seconds he would have crossed right out in front of me. In fact, he may have actually already stepped into view when I took my bull, but I was so focused and zoomed in on the scope I didn't see him. Oh well, glad to get one on the last day of 6 days of hunting.
View attachment 226985

View attachment 226985
Nice bull. I wouldn't have passed on him either...especially the last day.

OP
Wapitiaddict
Congrats on your dandy last day bull. One of my most favorite memories so far from elk hunting is my last day bull, 2 min before end of legal. I went from 100% sure no shot opp this hunt/elk tag punched 10 minutes earlier to a good 6x5 bull at last minute.

Elk hunting memories are awesome and will sustain you until the next elk hunt. Enjoy the great meals the bull will give.
Thanks! It's crazy how fast a hunt can change. One minute you think you might eat tag soup, then the next you have tagged out.