Last Minute Alaska OTC Blacktail Basic Questions

DFloTN

FNG
We're unfortunately trying to figure out a hail mary blacktail hunt in 6D after our caribou hunt got cancelled yesterday.

I think we've got transportation lined up and a few possible islands identified from local intel, but still trying to run down basic answers (which is embarrassing since I like having these things planned 18 months in advance). Any thoughts on the below:

-- for non-resident locking tags, can those be bought truly over the counter in Anchorage? I don't think we have time to buy them online.
-- I know it's likely to be a wet, windy, steep mess, but any hot tips on required gear (outside the obvious) or general strategy re: getting into something this time of year)?
-- I know this is probably a stupid idea, but 1-10, just how stupid from a success and/or safety standpoint? I'm generally less worried about comfort since I think I know what the answer to that question will be.

Thanks in advance. I've found folks on here are a much more practical source than a lot of articles, etc.

OP
DFloTN

DFloTN

FNG
Ha. Standard 3 mil? Or is there a heavy duty Alaska version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Yes you can buy deer tags OTC. In my experience lots of places have them, for example walmart did in Ketchikan when I lived there. Haven't taken any non-res for a little while but doubt anything has changed. This time of year I like to hunt alpine spot and stalk. Not sure how much of that you'll find in PWS. Lots of it is to low to be alpine. But if you can find some thats where I'd hunt.

OP
DFloTN

DFloTN

FNG
Thanks, I assumed as much, but didn’t want to bank on it without confirming. We know it’s not ideal, but just trying to make the best of a bad situation. Appreciate the input.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
We're unfortunately trying to figure out a hail mary blacktail hunt in 6D after our caribou hunt got cancelled yesterday.

I think we've got transportation lined up and a few possible islands identified from local intel, but still trying to run down basic answers (which is embarrassing since I like having these things planned 18 months in advance). Any thoughts on the below:

-- for non-resident locking tags, can those be bought truly over the counter in Anchorage? I don't think we have time to buy them online.
-- I know it's likely to be a wet, windy, steep mess, but any hot tips on required gear (outside the obvious) or general strategy re: getting into something this time of year)?
-- I know this is probably a stupid idea, but 1-10, just how stupid from a success and/or safety standpoint? I'm generally less worried about comfort since I think I know what the answer to that question will be.

Thanks in advance. I've found folks on here are a much more practical source than a lot of articles, etc.
Yes, they are truly OTC for the locking-tags. About 20 minutes for a friend last week at Cabela's. Any place that sells hunting licenses should have them.

Bust through into the alpine and stay up high. It will probably suck getting up, but gets easier after you get above tree line. By suck, anticipate something like 8 hours to climb 2000-3000 ft, the issue is busting brush. Pick a place where you can move between ridges while staying in the alpine. The rut should not be started, and there should be good food up high still, so while most people hunt them from boats for convenience your highest densities will be up high. However, if it is warm and sunny the deer will head for tree line pretty quick, so morning and evenings or cloudy/rainy days will be your best times.

Nothing stupid about it, just takes work. I've not hunted 6D for blacktail, but if you are competent in the woods safety is solid. If you put in the work to get high, you should have good odds of success. If any of you has a light weight 22 pistol, bring it along and you might get some ptarmigan.

If there after September 10th, you could get a black bear tag (registration hunt RL065) and have that if the opportunity presented itself. A black bear locking-tag is $450, and you can use it on a deer as a deer locking tag is $300. Also, if any of you already purchased caribou locking tags, as those are $650, you can use that locking tag for bear or deer (see page 10 of the regulations book).

OP
DFloTN

DFloTN

FNG
Awesome, thank you! Yeah, we just figured out we could use the caribou tag with new harvest tickets. Good tip on the bears and .22. Really appreciate that and the strategy!