Last minute Kansas Bird trip

Ten Bears

WKR
The wife and I will be at her folks in Bloomington Ind. for Christmas and seeing that our home state of Michigan is somewhat locked down, we are contemplating heading west to Kansas for some pheasant fun with the dog.

Did my internet research and wanted to base around Salina, but wanted to know if I would be ok trying the north or south east corners to save on some drive time. Salina is a solid 15 hours back home and I see weather in my future. If I can shave a couple hours off the drive and still find the birds that would be great.

If the NE or SE corners have some birds any good towns I should base out of so the wife can do things while I wander the fields ? Or any towns near Salina that a wife might enjoy ?

Or should I stick to the plan and base near Salina ?

Thanks,
Merry Christmas...

Biggie

FNG
You'll be awfully disappointed if you're chasing roosters in that area. Head a minimum 2hrs west.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
You'll be awfully disappointed if you're chasing roosters in that area. Head a minimum 2hrs west.
Both the NE and SE corners ? Could it possibly be any worse than Michigan for pheasants ? When I drive west each year to New Mexico I pass some areas that look like they could hold some.

I'd go further west than Salina myself. Are you mostly after pheasants, or prefer a mixed bag? Western Kansas (like west of Hays) has pretty good bird numbers this year. I'd suggest going west of Hays.

Both the NE and SE corners ? Could it possibly be any worse than Michigan for pheasants ? When I drive west each year to New Mexico I pass some areas that look like they could hold some.

Northeast Kansas, like Atchinson area, might have a few pheasants. Not enough to come from out of state to hunt. From there I'd go straight west and get at least to Marysville, but I"m not sure what bird numbers are like there this year.

Southeast Kansas has zero pheasants if you exclude any game farm escapees. I would completely avoid any areas east of I-35 if you want pheasants.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
I'd go further west than Salina myself. Are you mostly after pheasants, or prefer a mixed bag? Western Kansas (like west of Hays) has pretty good bird numbers this year. I'd suggest going west of Hays.

Just hit send on the above before I saw this post..Looking at Pheasants only. Not that I mind a mixed bag, but with such an tossed together trip figure I'd focus on what I hunt best.

We had excellent luck with pheasants and quail just east of Salina this year, but it was a few weeks into the season on private land that had not been hunted at all. Very likely that the birds may have been pushed into that area.

I've heard that it is generally better further west, as others have said. I think one big consideration is whether you are hunting public or private land. This late in the season, private land is going to be a much better option, in my opinion. Those public areas and walk in hunting areas get hit hard.

Squincher

WKR
I've been hunting Kansas walk-in for the last five years, but last year was so bad I've been driving farther to hunt in Iowa this year. I hunted around Salina and Belleville mostly last year, and saw 2 pheasants and 1 covey of quail. All season. With two good dogs.

If you insist on wasting your time, go as far west as possible. And don't believe a word written by KDWP.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hunting Kansas walk-in for the last five years, but last year was so bad I've been driving farther to hunt in Iowa this year. I hunted around Salina and Belleville mostly last year, and saw 2 pheasants and 1 covey of quail. All season. With two good dogs.

If you insist on wasting your time, go as far west as possible. And don't believe a word written by KDWP.

How many days did you hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
I would be all aboard the Iowa train but the weather for those days looks bitter cold and nasty. Definitely not bring the wife along weather. Kinda how we ended up at Kansas, she has never been and it’s looking like high 30’s to low 40’s while we are there.

This is a good point. I should have noted that this year was certainly the exception and not the rule for wild birds in the area. Central Kansas has really been tough hunting for roosters in the last several years.

Was in the Downs area last weekend, hit a mix of public and private. Wind was pretty rough so we found them in thick cover. Jumped several coveys of bobwhite, but I only connected on one.

Attachments

• 7D879461-B586-4877-8E32-1F0A81201470.jpeg
    7D879461-B586-4877-8E32-1F0A81201470.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 43F60145-E2B5-46C4-B708-50165C7A07E3.jpeg
    43F60145-E2B5-46C4-B708-50165C7A07E3.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 21
  • B455FADB-35FE-4C5E-B302-4ED5B4AB639A.jpeg
    B455FADB-35FE-4C5E-B302-4ED5B4AB639A.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 4F4DE6DB-1E6E-4B70-84F4-9D267DF0AF85.jpeg
    4F4DE6DB-1E6E-4B70-84F4-9D267DF0AF85.jpeg
    894.5 KB · Views: 19

ttltown

WKR
If you’re putting that many miles on just screw it all and come to SD. SD never disappoints. And you can go anywhere from Watertown to Huron to Aberdeen to Pierre to Mitchell to chamberlain to wherever. Further west you’ll find more public. But honestly look at a map and if u find public land you’ll find pheasants.

WKR
I've been doing 6-8 mile days and have been killing a few roosters in Hays area. Numbers seem low and I am shooting good so keep your expectations low. Its just good to be outside following dogs around.

WKR
If you’re putting that many miles on just screw it all and come to SD. SD never disappoints. And you can go anywhere from Watertown to Huron to Aberdeen to Pierre to Mitchell to chamberlain to wherever. Further west you’ll find more public. But honestly look at a map and if u find public land you’ll find pheasants.

This is exactly my thought. I plan on doing just that next year.