Last minute Kansas Bird trip

ttltown

WKR
This is exactly my thought. I plan on doing just that next year.

Good luck!! There isn’t a bad part of the season either....just depends if you want to hunt early with better weather and more people or later in snow(usually) and colder temps and fewer people and birds that are bunched up a bit more. It’s all good though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
If I was rolling without the wife I would hit SD. We went to ND already this year and got a firm smack of ND weather. She wasn’t a fan, lol.

There are good bird numbers in Kansas this year, albeit might be spotty (I feel like that's normal). I ran into two old dudes from Colorado Springs who were shooting limits of roosters without a dog this year. My old bird hunting buddy has been having success too, although he mostly targets quail (he's mostly stayed in the central third of the state, between Junction City and Hays I'd guess).

As mentioned the surveys can be junk. I know for a fact one person who contributes data to it purposely submits false data because he's a big bird hunter and doesn't want people coming to his part of the state. I trust the pheasant data more than the quail data.

I'd also mention that basing out of a big town like Hays means you're competing with more people. I'd select a smaller town with the services you need. There are plenty of charming little Kansas towns with good bird numbers and plenty of WIHA near them.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Thanks for all the input. We may have a change in plans. Looks like she is heading to Nashville with her sister and I am free to roam wherever. So SD might be in play. Just making sure weather isn’t total crap before I commit. Can’t wait.

KurtR

WKR
Thanks for all the input. We may have a change in plans. Looks like she is heading to Nashville with her sister and I am free to roam wherever. So SD might be in play. Just making sure weather isn’t total crap before I commit. Can’t wait.
Bird numbers are really good this year in Sodak. i am north central but i would suspect south and west are just as good. The grouse i feel are an all time high. Weather looks decent for this time of year after this little storm we have today

Squincher

WKR

If you're travelling anyway, SD is the place to go.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
Got the thumbs up to head to SD. taking off on the 1st or 2nd. Can't wait.

Staying in Sioux Falls and plan on driving an hour west each morning. Any advice would be appreciated. How much snow is on the ground there ? What should I focus on ? How are the roads out that way ? Planning some calls and emails into some of the local biologists to focus the search. Seems like a ton of access, kinda overwhelming.

Almost forgot one of the most important things. Any places that I have to try for food ?

KurtR

WKR
Got the thumbs up to head to SD. taking off on the 1st or 2nd. Can't wait.

Staying in Sioux Falls and plan on driving an hour west each morning. Any advice would be appreciated. How much snow is on the ground there ? What should I focus on ? How are the roads out that way ? Planning some calls and emails into some of the local biologists to focus the search. Seems like a ton of access, kinda overwhelming.

Almost forgot one of the most important things. Any places that I have to try for food ?
No snow right now but we have a storm coming tuesday that will put out a few inches but then supposed to get nice. roads will be muddy but not bad. i would look for good cover like tree rows and sloughs that birds will hold in. If it is nice be quiet as the birds will spook from a mile away. Its not as nice to hunt in but some good wind will help alot in getting them to hold. Shoot heavy loads with a tighter choke as you will have some long shots and keep shooting if there is even still a twitch as the late season birds are tough and will run like hell when they hit the ground.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
No snow right now but we have a storm coming tuesday that will put out a few inches but then supposed to get nice. roads will be muddy but not bad. i would look for good cover like tree rows and sloughs that birds will hold in. If it is nice be quiet as the birds will spook from a mile away. Its not as nice to hunt in but some good wind will help alot in getting them to hold. Shoot heavy loads with a tighter choke as you will have some long shots and keep shooting if there is even still a twitch as the late season birds are tough and will run like hell when they hit the ground.

Thanks for the info Kurt. Should I leave my 20ga at home ? Or will I be fine with some 3in with 5 shot out of it ?

ttltown

WKR
I’d look Mitchell area and south to se of there if you want to stay within an hour. Look maybe at some smaller public as you’re by yourself and there will be less demand. Get there early so you at least know no one has walked there b4 you.

You can’t go to SD and not get chislic...and frankly beef isn’t chislic in my book...make sure it’s lamb. Tinners in south SF has good chislic. You can get a great burger and beer at JL Beers(yeah it’s a chain but still great). Good bourbon selection at Roam(little fancy) or barrel house or tap house 41(also good burgers).

Also swing by falls park at night for their Christmas lights...pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
If your a good shot the 20 will be fine. I've killed a lot of late season, wild pheasants with a 20 in SD.

I never use anything bigger than 7 1/2 in 12 or 20.

Know your limits with the gun and shoot out in front of them.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Thanks for the info Kurt. Should I leave my 20ga at home ? Or will I be fine with some 3in with 5 shot out of it ?
If you can shoot good it would be fine but after guiding and watching birds run off I am all about the 12 . Driving that far I am hedging my bet all i can. The birds where pretty wild this weekend i was happy to have the 3 inch 5s with the pattern master choke to crush them

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been wondering about pheasants in Western Kansas. Sounds like the best bet is to just stick to SD though, lol.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
well the wind does not make it the funnest but will make them hold and maybe a few inches of snow tonight could make for a great trip.
Weather is nearly perfect. Out around Spencer. Found a couple, been in random cover. Nothing to pattern. Not seeing a ton of tracks. Trying to figure out what they are in today.

Cleaned that up from the glove typing. Back at the truck for lunch. Still haven’t found numbers. Tried Tails and Tree edges.

Last edited: