Last minute NE mule deer hunt questions

Hello all, a friend and I decided last minute to head to Nebraska for opening archery season. We are kinda set on the Imperial NE area as that is the spot we kinda picked due to some large tracts of public. We are focusing on public land. Neither of us has hunted mule deer let alone this type of terrain. We are both central MO boys. I know its last minute but any tips, tricks or areas please I would be interested.

Thank you

Nick

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Have a plan B I was just in Chase County it's pretty dry and the grass has been pastured pretty hard there. Most of the public land is grasslands an open. I wasn't scouting deer but I would guess from looking at most of the land North of Imperial and the length of the grass most deer will be on private. Best of luck to you.

OP
M
Have a plan B I was just in Chase County it's pretty dry and the grass has been pastured pretty hard there. Most of the public land is grasslands an open. I wasn't scouting deer but I would guess from looking at most of the land North of Imperial and the length of the grass most deer will be on private. Best of luck to you.
Well that will make it suck a little...

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
I hate to rain on your parade as I'll hit archery pretty hard myself although it will be private North of you a couple of hours. I just thought you might consider the drought and heat is hitting that part of the state fairly hard.

Lytro

WKR
The Imperial area is going to be tough hunting for mule deer as most stay on private. I've hunted that area a lot and rarely see muleys other than does and yearling bucks on public ground. You'll see a ton of whitetails though.

D.Blake

Lil-Rokslider
not to sound like a broken record but we have had an extremely dry summer here in NE. Water is going to be important to find (and to bring for yourselves!). Have fun, it is a neat area to run and gun on.

If you are truly hitting the opener Sept 1. I would find some public close to some corn fields and watch morning and evening to see if they are coming and going from the fields. I'm about 2 hours east of imperial and I'm getting whitetails and mulies moving in and out of fields around sunrise and sun set for what it's worth.

Edit: also worth noting, chronic wasting disease is definetly present in the area regardless of if you see evidence or not.

Last edited:
OP
M
I live out here in imperial if you're still around let me know I might be able to give you a heads up. Just saying
We are not still out there. We found some whitetails and mule deer does but only a couple mule deer bucks but couldnt get on them. We will be back out for a weekend or extended weekend. We might come back out towards the end if october and then again in december.

OP
M
Bring a shot gun if you like bird hunting when you come back 😀
My dad was asking me if I saw any birds. Maybe I can bring him and you could show him some places if you would be interested. I would PM you but I havent met enough post yet 😎

Im new to this site as well. But not to brag or anything but we have birds and I just so happen to have been dooped by a cove of quail where a second gun would have been fun as fun can get

Let me start by saying sorry. bird season doesn't start till last week of the month! Sorry again for saying bring a shoot gun unless you're going to be here then as well 😬

Weird I find this, I am in Columbia, MO, Nick. Are you guys going again? I've been religiously scouting this area and talked to a guy that helped Chris Bee and Muley Freak on wear to go... If you guys are going, me and a buddy are also going. Send me a PM. 120892775_3308474772711531_924385899943924238_n.jpg