Last minute WY rifle elk hunt...

mossyhorn

FNG
I’ve hunted western Wyoming for 4 years now during archery. I just got home and could not fill my tag. Lost a third of my hunt due to an injury and ended up in the ER. I want to get back and fill my tag during rifle season.

I’ve never rifle hunted the state for elk. The area I hunt has lower success and a lot of hunters during rifle. Not to mention it’s heavily forested and the elk don’t venture into the open much, even during archery.

I’m looking at some more open, glassable country with better chances of success. The odds in my current unit avg between 10-12% on branch bulls.

Ive crunched a lot of numbers and looking at non-wilderness 67 and unit 83. 83 looks like access is pretty limited. But a burn big burn a few years ago looks like lots of glassable country. I don’t have horses or an atv, just my feet. Can anyone tell me if I would be ok in this unit without either of these?

I’m planning on the back end of October. Who knows what the weather will be doing could be really nasty? Any advice or tips?

Jasper

FNG
MH -
I grew up hunting 81/82/84/85 and spent a bit of time in 83. Haven't been in there with a rifle in almost 20 years but have been back to hunt the other four areas I mentioned almost every year. I think the fact that access is limited and tough will work in your favor. You'll be just fine on foot, and if I were in your shoes I wouldn't have any hesitation to go in there cold and hunt it. Sounds like you know a thing or two about elk so the following probably isn't news to you, but I'll throw a few ideas out.

Try to pick out a few glassing points on GE ahead of time if you can. Glass, glass, and glass some more, don't be afraid of climbing up high in the dark to a glassing point, or spending the night somewhere high to take advantage of morning light. Over the years we've found a lot of elk from one to three miles away and then moved on them. If they aren't disturbed, chances are good they'll be right there next morning. With any luck, that burn will provide some good forage, too, so glass the heck out of it. If you can watch them bed--sometimes right out in the burn--be prepared to make the move that day. Seems like we're seeing more big groups and less small bands lately, so that one bunch you see may be all you get a chance at.

If it's warm, N facing steep slopes and avalanche chutes will hold elk. Be mentally ready for a 2500'+ climb to get to them. I like to look for places other guys don't want to pack one out of...

I'm sure you know, but weather could be anything from 65F and sunny to 25F and snowing. Cross your fingers for a bit of snow and good luck. Can't offer up anything on 67.

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
I got some good advice from Jasper and spoke via PM, much appreciated!

Can anyone tell me about the burn in 83 that happened in I think 2015? I see the north part of the unit as being burned on Google Earth and the imagery says it's from 2014. Was there a more extensive fire that burned more of that unit?

What would be the best way to access that unit? Coming from the south or north? Looks like it could take quite some time to get in there, especially if weather is bad?

I'll probably have about 4 days to hunt, probably right up against the close of the season?

The season in 83 ends on the 25th so I wouldn’t expect a major movement due to snow. But there could be enough and it could get cold enough for elk to spend more time in the open feeding and like Jasper said they may even bed there.... until 9 or 10 or so anyway. They may come back in with lots of shooting light left too.

Take everything you need to glass. Sitting pad, and even if you don’t have a spotting scope a rest for your binos will really help. If you use a bipod or shooting sticks you can use those.

I’ve hunted 84,85 and others and there’s no shortage of elk. Get it in your mind to go one step further than the other 90% of hunters and you’ll find them. That might mean snow to your knees. Take gaiters. I take snow camo because I hunt some semi open stuff and it helps me sneak across gaps in cover without sticking out like a sore thumb.

If you look into a burn and think well nothing in there think again. It’s amazing how 6 or 8 elk..... or two bulls can hide in there. So glass the heck out of them. Good luck.

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
Indian Summer, thanks for the good advice. I have quality binos and spotter and always pack my gaiters. I just gotta get over and get after it! Wish I had more time, especially with so many good places to go!

wyosam

WKR
I spent time in a few different part of that burn this summer, and everywhere I went was pretty much prime elk habitat at this point. If I can scratch together some time off (My director just left, leaving me as interim during hunting season..) I might be over there somewhere around that time. My take on that area is NOT having a horse or a 4-wheeler is an advantage. Those are the two ways the vast majority hunt, which means there is quite a bit of country not being disturbed by either.

OP
M

mossyhorn

FNG
I spent time in a few different part of that burn this summer, and everywhere I went was pretty much prime elk habitat at this point. If I can scratch together some time off (My director just left, leaving me as interim during hunting season..) I might be over there somewhere around that time. My take on that area is NOT having a horse or a 4-wheeler is an advantage. Those are the two ways the vast majority hunt, which means there is quite a bit of country not being disturbed by either.

Could you say what the best way to access the unit would be? Coming from Alpine, would it be better to go around to the north and come in off of hwy 26? Or to the south from 191? Looks like you have to go all the way to Cora and then up? Might be faster from the north side???

wyosam

WKR
I’ve done both, but around 26 is a bunch faster. I’m at Hoback, and even though I like the drive across union pass, I’d rather go around and over togwotee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk