Last Sleeping bag you would ever buy

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at replacing my old heavy sleeping bag with a new lighter weight one. If you were going to buy the last sleeping bag you ever bought, what would you buy? I’m looking at zero degree 800 fill down bags. I have been using the same synthetic fill bag for 15 years and I’m tired of it. What features should I look for, what is just hype and what really matters?

Nemo, and I am sure other companies are making bags with vents, so they will work across a very large temperature range. The Nemo got rave reviews, calling it a one bag does all, from desert to alpine.

Lots of great offerings out there. Id look towards Western mountaineering or feathered friends both are American made. Only other piece of advice is to pay attention to the sizing (width).
And length if you're a tall guy like me!

• Banned
OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I’d consider myself average size I guess I wear a large shirt 34” pants. I’m 6’ 205 I think my shoulders are a bit broader than average though? Do they make bags to fit different shoulders?

I have the newest Nemo zero deg used only 10 days I’m considering unloading for cheap if someone is interested

Here is a link to WM's spec chart:

You can take your measurements, take into consideration additional items such as side sleeper, and see which bag(s) will best suit your needs.

Drawing a blank at the moment but there is a site sponsor who sells them. They fondle more bags in a day than most of us will in a lifetime.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Western mountaineering top end. I have a 10F 2lb versalite which is warm/light for cold trips, I use a 34F mountain hardwear lamina the rest of the year to save wear.

But my hunting partner was looking for a new affordable 0deg down bag and I pointed out right now you can get a 0 deg sierra designs nitro 2.5lb pretty cheap. $315 at moosejaw, $50 gift card and also 12% cash back. So ~$277 out of pocket plus $50 to spend on other gear there.

What didn't you like about the Nemo bag? I've heard pretty much only great things about their stuff.
Nothing really I just have several bags and originally got it for work in the field and have since no longer work in the woods. It’s a warm well made bag.

A Western Mountaineering bag with a full length zipper in an appropriate temp. rating.A 15 deg. bag covers all those bases for me.It's a lot of $$$ but I've never regretted it

colersu22

WKR
Here is a link to WM's spec chart:

You can take your measurements, take into consideration additional items such as side sleeper, and see which bag(s) will best suit your needs.

Drawing a blank at the moment but there is a site sponsor who sells them. They fondle more bags in a day than most of us will in a lifetime.

Seek outside is a site sponsor and they carry western mountaineering bags. They have great customer service and I have been happy with every tome I have emailed or called for info and all my orders.

Wrench

WKR
I *used to say* my WM badger was the last.....then I see a sea to summit 750 fill for a c note....and I fell off the wagon. There's no reason for me to buy it other than it was too good of deal.

I had this same question for myself about 10 years ago... I ended up with a WM Antelope. I have said it on several other threads, bit I am a huge fan. Almost 250 nights in and I am still loving it.

OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone tried the Outdoor Vitals bags? They are discount prices but made with 800+fill down. Seem like a great value if they are in fact good.

Pro953

WKR
Anyone tried the Outdoor Vitals bags? They are discount prices but made with 800+fill down. Seem like a great value if they are in fact good.

I have a OV 0-degree bag. It is good. I have had it down in single digits and it’s a nice warm bag. That said I would not put it in the range of some of the top end bags being listed here. It’s on the heavier side on the compression is ok but not great so it eats up bag space. If that is your budget you can certainly find a decent one and you will be happy. Most of my hunting is in much warmer weather so for the week or so a year that is single digits it works for me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk