Last Sleeping bag you would ever buy

I *used to say* my WM badger was the last.....then I see a sea to summit 750 fill for a c note....and I fell off the wagon. There's no reason for me to buy it other than it was too good of deal.
Was that a private sale on the sea to summit?
Thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Personally, if I was looking for the last bag I would ever need, I wouldn't be looking at down.........unless of course it's strictly for use when you're packing camp on your back. I bought a Slumberjack XL quad extra long quallofil bag back in 1989. I still use that bag every year for base camp. It is the most comfortable sleeping bag I've ever been in. I even made the mistake of letting my daughter try it once and she didn't want to give it back. I'll use this bag until it literally falls apart, but so far so good.

The model and size would need to be determined according to specific needs, BUT....

Western Mountaineering is one of maybe two companies I'd consider. I don't know what the other one is, because I've never yet seen a better built, higher quality 'My Last Sleeping Bag' than the ones I've owned from WM.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think one would be safe to pick the appropriate rated bag from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends and have a bag that would last decades with a little care.

Like a lot of things (optics, boots, etc) a sleeping bag is an investment and always pays to invest wisely :)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was really expecting to receive a bunch of recommendations for the same bag. There are way more great bags than I ever imagined!

Well you sorta did, if you're really talking buy once cry once its western mountaineering with the temp rating and face fabric of your choice (some are more durable but heavier, etc.). But if you're on a budget then that opens up the discussion further so I recommend that deal on that sierra designs bag (which is reputable) as a solid bag that would be reasonable if you aren't chasing the top end of weight/performance/etc. (with associated cost). I'd certainly want that bag with the deal pricing it near the OV bag over the OV bag.

bpurtz

WKR
For cold temperatures I use a Western Mountaineering Kodiak 0 degree. For warmer temperatures I use a Western Mountaineering Astralite Quilt.

Shrek

WKR
Western Mountaineering Kodiak. No bag is one bag for everything but for cold weather down to zero and a little under if you’re a warm sleeper or wear some clothes the Kodiak will make you very happy.

OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I’m seeing different fill ratings from companies and I’ve heard that 800 fill is the standard of quality. Should I even consider a bag with fill rated below 800? How much difference is there from a 650 fill, 700 fill, 800 fill, 850 fill?

bpurtz

WKR
I’m seeing different fill ratings from companies and I’ve heard that 800 fill is the standard of quality. Should I even consider a bag with fill rated below 800? How much difference is there from a 650 fill, 700 fill, 800 fill, 850 fill?

I think you will find the top shelf products use 850-900 fill - I personally won't consider down products below 800 fill.

*zap*

WKR
The difference is mainly bulk to carry and a little weight. Top end bags are using the most packable and durable or lightest materials depending on the model. A well made 600 fill bag will make its temp rating just like a 900 fill bag. Lower # fill bags will probably loose loft faster due to being compressed.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

They just need to use more of it to hit the same insulation rating so it means a heavier bag. apples to apples if 800+ was used.

Shrek

WKR
You’re making it a lot harder than it is. A Western Mountaineering is what you want if you’re really wanting the buy once cry once bag. A Kodiak Microfiber is the real deal. You will not regret the purchase.

OP
Timnterra

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I’m the kind of guy who over analyzes everything, I think it’s a curse, but I can’t help but ask too many questions...
You’re making it a lot harder than it is. A Western Mountaineering is what you want if you’re really wanting the buy once cry once bag. A Kodiak Microfiber is the real deal. You will not regret the purchase.

Ac338

WKR
I just picked up a Marmot Helium from Moosejaw for $279 (30% off) and got a $50 giftcard on top of that for buying it. I was looking at WM versalite but think I still got a good bag at a fraction of the price.