Last Sleeping bag you would ever buy

I have just enough OCD to be productive without becoming an asshat and over-analyze too. I enjoy learning all there is to learn and am not what you'd call a brand "fanboy"...I do search for the optimum in gear and prefer to buy once-cry once than collect a bunch of crap. All my quilts are 800 fill or higher and if the so-called "bulk" is an issue, dump a couple ounces of water from your bladder and enjoy the warmth of a comfy bag/quilt. Once you get a great pad (like an EXPED UL9 or Winter with an R rating of 6) and use a quilt, it's hard to go back to a traditional sleeping bag.

Personally, if I was looking for the last bag I would ever need, I wouldn't be looking at down.........unless of course it's strictly for use when you're packing camp on your back. I bought a Slumberjack XL quad extra long quallofil bag back in 1989. I still use that bag every year for base camp. It is the most comfortable sleeping bag I've ever been in. I even made the mistake of letting my daughter try it once and she didn't want to give it back. I'll use this bag until it literally falls apart, but so far so good.

I have a Slumberjack quallofil mummy bag that my Dad bought back in the ~mid-late 80’s. Until I came to this forum, I thought it was a really good sleeping bag. The last time I used it, the temps were in the upper 20’s and we didn’t have a stove in the tent. It got so hot that I had to unzip it and just use it like a blanket. In the compression sack, it is right at 5.5 pounds. Yes, it’s heavy in terms of backpacking, but for a wall tent/base camp bag, I couldn’t imagine ever needing more. Especially with a stove. I’m sure I’ll buy a WM bag now that I know that I’ve been subjected to this forum, but I’ll still keep that ole sorry Slumberjack in my truck.

Lando

WKR
I'd get an 850 fill UGQ Bandit xl, zero degree quilt with overstuffing and spend the $ you save on a high r value sleeping pad. Then you can vent in the summer for warmer temps and strap it down for the colder temps in fall/winter.

I'd get an 850 fill UGQ Bandit xl, zero degree quilt with overstuffing and spend the $ you save on a high r value sleeping pad. Then you can vent in the summer for warmer temps and strap it down for the colder temps in fall/winter.

how many oz of overstuffing did you add?

Geetar

FNG
I know it’s pricy ($500-550) but I’m wondering has anyone tried the Stone Glacier down sleeping bag yet?

I know it’s pricy ($500-550) but I’m wondering has anyone tried the Stone Glacier down sleeping bag yet?

Yup. I used it on my muley hunt this year. It is a fantastic bag and very well thought out. I loved the baffling around the head/neck area, the magnetic closures, etc. I've been using a custom EE quilt the last couple years but wanted a zippered mummy this go-round and I loved it.

Geetar

FNG
Yup. I used it on my muley hunt this year. It is a fantastic bag and very well thought out. I loved the baffling around the head/neck area, the magnetic closures, etc. I've been using a custom EE quilt the last couple years but wanted a zippered mummy this go-round and I loved it.
Cool! Good to hear. I’ve been looking hard at them but I wanted a first hand experience from someone not related to the company. I’ll probably end up getting one.

It’s hard to get by with just one bag... two is doable though. I’d recommend a 0 degree and a 15 degree. That will cover you about 85 percent of the time.

I’ve got a WM Kodiak GWS that is pretty awesome though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s hard to get by with just one bag... two is doable though. I’d recommend a 0 degree and a 15 degree. That will cover you about 85 percent of the time.

I’ve got a WM Kodiak GWS that is pretty awesome though.

or a 40 degree synthetic quilt and a 15 degree down bag, used alone or together for roughly a -10 system

qwerksc

WKR
Western mountaineering for the next 15 to 20 years. Take care of it and it will last. I've had a Northface Solarflare for the last 16 years, still toasty on a mid winter night in the sierras. $500 to $1000 investment.

never.truly.lost

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up this one a couple of years ago as my winter bag; really wanted the center zip feature in a synthetic loft material (didn’t want to invest in a Slick Bag until I was sure what temps etc I needed).
It comes with a compression bag and a cotton type liner, so you can drop quite a bit of weight by not packing those. Excellent value for what you get, and I sleep extremely well in it. Have had it down to -18C with zero issues without the liner, and could have it be even warmer by adding puffy pants or a ranger blanket to take of the extra space.

If nothing else, it is an excellent back-up or truck bag! And meant to be somewhat fire resistant for hot tent camps.

Lawnboi

WKR
I didn’t believe the WM hype till I got one. Now Iv got two, two of the best purchases Iv made for backpacking and camping.

or a 40 degree synthetic quilt and a 15 degree down bag, used alone or together for roughly a -10 system

This is what Iv been using last few years not purposely but it works great. A WM versalite plus a kifaru woobie will keep me warm below zero. I keep a WM megalite for times the versalite is too much.

Knute

FNG
I have a Western Mountaineering Badger and love it. Its a 15 degree bag, but I have slept in it down to 5 or 10 degrees and its performed well. I'm a side sleeper and I love the extra room

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got a western mountaineering badger about a year ago and have about 30 nights in it so far. I really love that bag. The length is good, I can roll around inside it and it’s actually comfortable at 15 degrees.