Last three books you've read?

mtnkid85

WKR
Hey gang,

Looking for my next read, just finishing up my latest. For fun, what have you guys been reading? Anything you'd recommend?

My last three have been:

I will fight no more; forever- Merrill D. Beal. Great history of Chief Joesph and the Nez Perce. Unfortunate reminder of how bad the indians got screwed over.
Public land mulies- David Long. Second time perusing this one, lots of good info and I enjoy his stories.
The map that changed the world- Simon Winchester. This one took a while for me to get through. Interesting story about the birth of modern geology, but fairly technical and definitely geeky.

So what have your been reading lately?

Trr15

WKR
I’ve always been intrigued by US history, particularly the settlement of the west. My last three books are:
American Buffalo by Steven Rinella
Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynn
The Heart of Everything That is by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin

All three are fantastic books and definitely worth the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Battle of Long Tan (Danger Close Aussie battle in Vietnam 1966)

Hunting Big Mule Deer, Robby Denning (Great resource of info)

Alone at Dawn (MOH recipient John Chapman USAF)

All three were great reads.

P Carter

WKR
I’ll second empire of the summer moon. Not hunting related, but I enjoyed 1491 and 1493 by Charles Mann as well. I just got done with Who We Are and How We Got Here by David reich and it’s really good. I only mention these because they seem consistent with the chief joseph and map books you mention.

ODB

WKR
Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa- Arthur Neumann

The Old Way (about the San Bushmen) Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

The Shadow of Kilimanjaro - Rick Ridgeway

mlgc20

WKR
Centennial - James Michener
What If We’re Wrong - Chuck Klosterman
Against the Gods - Peter Bernstein

mt100gr.

WKR
Definitely read American Buffalo.

I just read 'Rangers, trappers, and trailblazers' by John Fraley. Some tough old sunsabitches ran around these mountains before us....very interesting history of the Bob and northern MT wildernesses.

Right now I am reading 'why we hunt' by Aaron Futrell. Wife got it for me for Xmas - not far into it but it's an interesting justification for hunting's role in this day and age.

Squamch

WKR
A beast the colour of winter by Douglas Chadwick. About mountain goats.
The legend of Pan Phillips, by Jack Brown. A semi biographical book about Pan Phillips, an old time cowboy here in BC. A man who was driving cattle cross country in the 70s.
He died in 83 at 72 years old.

Great deceptions of world war 2 was good too, about intrigue and secrets of world war two. For example the British having a department made up of magicians and theatre folks, who, among other things, once hid a town, and recreated it one bay over, using models of vehicles and buildings. Then when the Luftwaffe bombed the fake town, they uncovered piles of rubble previously hidden under camo tarps, so airborne observers would see the decimated town.
Or Churchill allowing....I forget what town... to be bombed, to prevent the Nazis from seeing the true extent of their intelligence gathering services.

Another good one I read recently was "Rise and Kill First." I can't recall the author, but it was a history of Israel's state sanctioned killings. Some pretty staggering revelations about military technology in there. Also the fascinating history of the various organizations that have sanctioned and carried out various hits across the globe, and how some of the hits have gone wrong.

Rinnela’s buffalo book
Tribe by Sebastian Juenger
Hell I Was There by Elmer Keith

Guns Germs and Steel is on deck by Jarrod Diamond

Trr15

WKR
Rinnela’s buffalo book
Tribe by Sebastian Juenger
Hell I Was There by Elmer Keith

Guns Germs and Steel is on deck by Jarrod Diamond

Tribe is a great read. I read “guns, germs and steel” years ago and it’s a good one too. Might actually read it again soon.

Trr15

WKR
I’ll second empire of the summer moon. Not hunting related, but I enjoyed 1491 and 1493 by Charles Mann as well. I just got done with Who We Are and How We Got Here by David reich and it’s really good. I only mention these because they seem consistent with the chief joseph and map books you mention.

If you like Empire of the Summer Moon, you’ll definitely enjoy The Heart of Everything That Is. They’re similar books, but while the former is about the Comanche conflicts in TX, this one is primarily about the conflict with the Lakota in Wyoming and Montana at Fort Kearney and along the Bozeman trail.

jspradley

WKR
Currently reading several books

Necroscope 3 by Brian Lumley
Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan
The Big Picture by Sean Carroll
Metro 2035 by Dmitry Glukhovsky