Last three books you've read?

BowTrout

FNG
I forgot to add The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark. I might have to re-read A River Runs Through it this spring.

twall13

WKR
Bringing this thread back to the top with an update, I finished "That Wild Country", "Born to Run", and "North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail".

Of the three Born to Run was my favorite. I'll likely read some C.J. Box books next.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Bringing this thread back to the top with an update, I finished "That Wild Country", "Born to Run", and "North: Finding My Way While Running the Appalachian Trail".

Of the three Born to Run was my favorite. I'll likely read some C.J. Box books next.

I just finished my first CJ Box book, great reads.

twall13

WKR
I figure it's time for a quick fiction novel. The last few have been nonfiction and it's nice to have a change of pace every now and then.

TheCougar

WKR
Just finished Undaunted Courage, Lewis and Clark.

Before that it was Robby’s Hunting Big Mule Deer and “The Making if the Atomic Bomb”, a great book about science and history.

Before that was Don Quixote and Moby Dick.

Currently working on Long Range Shooting Handbook, Psalms.
I would like to read a good book about frontiersmen and the original mountain men - anyone have a recommendation?

American Buffalo - Rinella
A Sand County Almanac - Leopold
Hunting Open County Mule Deer - Dwight Schuh

just on the off chance- Rinella mentioned a book he was reading in a recent podcast but I can’t remember the book or which pod. Anybody remember off hand? It’s an old western book. Sounded interesting but didn’t catch the name.

Beendare

WKR
Since my last comment;
One Minute Out, Mark Greaney, most recent in the Gary man series...but not as good as some

The Kind Worth Killing, pretty good...it loses points for the ending

The Line Becomes a River, not good

Endurance; Shackletons incredible voyage- great book, "Toughness" takes on a whole new meaning

The Company; A Novel of the CIA- not good, and I usually like those kinds of books...too convoluted

____

I've been on a fiction kick lately, including a couple genres (fantasy and sci-fi) outside my norm. Last three reads were:
  • The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
  • The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein
  • The Lonesome Gods by Louis L'amour

Scanning my book shelf, top candidates for next reads are:
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I enjoyed The Hobbit well enough so I figure I'll give Tolkien's magnum opus a go
  • The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz, been wanting to get to this one for a while
  • One of the few remaining Louis L'amour novels I've never read, maybe Comstock Lode or The Walking Drum

BowTrout

FNG

“Born to Run” is a great book. I’ve found that the CJ Box books are great books to break up the non fiction for me.

LostArra

WKR
Alaskan Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young. Terrific book. Like the Shackleton book, this also redefines toughness but on a hunt and not a survival mission like the Shackleton crew. The hunt takes place in the 20's when wool was the only "high tech" material and it wasn't merino.

Anyone who has ever visited Galveston Texas or any coastal town should read Isaac's Storm by Erik Larsen.

Alaska's Wolf Man by Jim Rearden. The story of Frank Glaser

(these aren't my last three books but I plan on reading them again soon)

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
American Buffalo - Rinella
A Sand County Almanac - Leopold
Hunting Open County Mule Deer - Dwight Schuh

just on the off chance- Rinella mentioned a book he was reading in a recent podcast but I can’t remember the book or which pod. Anybody remember off hand? It’s an old western book. Sounded interesting but didn’t catch the name.
I’m pretty sure it was a book by Cormac McCarthy (I think it was mentioned in the podcast a couple weeks ago when they were talking about the 3 legged wolf). I can’t remember the exact book, possibly Blood Meridian?

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider

Shadows on the Koyukuk
Smoke Jumper
Into Thin Air

All awesome books I thought.

I’m pretty sure it was a book by Cormac McCarthy (I think it was mentioned in the podcast a couple weeks ago when they were talking about the 3 legged wolf). I can’t remember the exact book, possibly Blood Meridian?
Plainsmen of the Yellowstone. Just went back and listened to the 3-toes the wolf episode on 2x until I found it.

Oregonboy

WKR
My last three are:

Path of the Puma by Jim Williams - very interesting read about cougars. Not the best book I've ever read but not the worst. It reminded me a lot of Coyote America, just about Cougars.

Wild Men, Wild Alaska by Rocky McElveen - very entertaining and a little cheesy at times. Would recommend to any outdoors-man.

Fortitude by Dan Crenshaw - This should be required reading for every graduating high school senior. Gosh I hope he runs for president.

snik

FNG
Maybe a little off topic, but I'm interested to know how you all consume your books. Audiobooks, read them via Kindle, or read them via the hard copy? I've tried all these different methods, and I'm a fan of the hardcopy.

twall13

WKR
Maybe a little off topic, but I'm interested to know how you all consume your books. Audiobooks, read them via Kindle, or read them via the hard copy? I've tried all these different methods, and I'm a fan of the hardcopy.
Most of my reading is done on my kindle. That's my preferred way to read nowadays. That said, I try to get most of my books from the local library and at times the library only has a hard copy or an audiobook so I occasionally use those methods for books where applicable. Undaunted Courage was a recent audiobook from the library for me.

OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR

I still read the hardcopies, I enjoy the wind down time before bed. I listen to alot of podcasts, but I haven't gotten into audio books much.

LostArra

WKR

If maps are involved, always a hard copy.
When I'm traveling especially during hunting season I listen to more audiobooks but it has to be a good narrator. I returned American Buffalo to Audible then got it again when Rinella started reading it.

A three series books by Kari Lynn Dell. Texas Rodeo, bull fighting. Author is Montana raised. She can walk the walk and talk the talk. She also has another one coming soon.