Last week of September Montana Elk

Just looking through my gear list for the trip and I am wondering if I will need a puffy jacket during this hunt. I’ve got a black Sitka traverse hoody jacket that is pretty warm but fairly bulky, but if I don’t “need” to buy something extra then that would be great. I have no problem buying stuff if it is a necessary item for comfort and or safety.

Cubby

WKR
Where are you hunting in MT? that'll make difference in weather but still really a guessing game that time of year.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
I’ll be out of Helena, don’t really have a area picked yet. I’ve heard it probably will snow up high in the mountains, but mostly concerned with being too hot and only having gear for cold weather. Or not enough gear for what cold weather shows up.

Tower

FNG
I hunt in NW WY (~8,000 ft) that same time period and the weather can be hard to plan for. One year it was barely freezing at night and in the mid 70’s during the day. The very next year there was 18” of snow on the ground.

Last year was mild again, 30’s at night and into the 60’s during the day, but really windy. I wore FL Wick, Kiln, Springer vest and Corrugate Guide jacket most mornings. One colder morning I substituted the furnace for the Springer. We head out on horseback in the mornings/back at night so not generating any body heat. I would lose the vest & furnace once we were mobile. Bottoms were Corrugate guide pants and wick bottoms on a couple of mornings.

We did more glassing last year than in years past so I considered getting a puffy layer this year but opted for a FL Catalyst instead. I also picked up the Furnace bottoms just in case it happens to turn really nasty. We have the luxury of driving up to camp so can be a little more liberal with packing.

danarnold

WKR
we hunted south of ennis in Sep of 15, tshirt weather in the day, got down to 12 one night, had my chest mounted water freeze that day.
that trip I also realized a quilt aint for me!

K_pem

WKR
With the weather being so unpredictable as mentioned; i don't see any reason not to have at least a light puffy on hand. They weigh so little that in my opinion its stupid not to have one in your pack. For that matter a light merino beanie and gloves can go a long way keeping you comfortable as well with little weight, but at least a puffy for sure.