• Rifle - Bear only

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Bow- Deer or bear

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2rocky

WKR
So I have an Archery only deer tag that allows me to hunt the general season with my bow. This weekend is the last weekend of that season.

I also have a bear tag. Any Weapon, good until CA hunters kill/report 1500 bears

This area has a good reputation for deer, and an excellent reputation for bears. I've seen both there is past years but never closed the deal.

In addition I want to kill a bear more than a deer...given the same opportunity...

My time frame will be less than a day and a half. Final moments of daylight on Saturday and all day Sunday.

I am conflicted on which weapon to take, rifle or bow. Poll to post shortly....

BuckSnort

WKR
Bow... You can always go for a bear later after deer season closes..

Try a predator call for bears, if you're in a good spot they come running... My calling success on bears is 33% or better... Dying cottontail works great for me...

Beastmode

WKR
I'd say bow as well rocky. You can always try for a bear with your bow. You can't try for a deer with your rifle. Plenty of days left to try to get a bear.

If your guide was any good, you wouldn't be having this dilemma. If bear is what you're after, go rifle and kill one. You've taken plenty of deer and with 1.5 days to get it done, you might need a long or quick shot. Rifle if my vote!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Kirk, especially since I know where your headed. Go kill a bear and be happy. Then next year just buy the tag good for archery and rifle in this area and you wont have to decide what to do next year.

BuckSnort

WKR
Blind setups or after spotting a bear?

That average is for blind setups... Looking back I believe I have called in every bear I spotted first... They seem to be a lot easier to call than coyotes, they don't circle to catch the wind like coyotes do, they just come straight in...And fast